Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys. i have a d16 civic, built(building), boosted, yata yata. puttin down just under 300 coming soon in january when i finish my new block. now i didnt know whether to put this in the turbo or nitrous section, because it has to do with both. but my im looking to add nitrous, and thats what my question pertains to, so here i am.

i love the power, love the feeling of spooling up, and i cant get enough boost. but as a daily driver, i dont wanna go much further past about 15-16 pounds. and that's gonna facilitate the power and feel i want out of my car. im not going over 16psi. i've heard plenty about nitrous being used to assist before full boost, as a power adder and to help spool more quickly... but what about during boost? what say i were pulling against someone else, on a weekend at the quarter, and down the track in third gear i find my self slowly slipping behind that punk ass supercharged cobra in the other lane. im spooled and pulling, but im losing by half a car. why couldnt i hit my magic button and spray my way ahead?

why do i never hear about anyone who is boosted, and has a bottle for the extra power even when they are fully spooled. im not against nitrous, or turbo, i love them both. so why cant i find anything that would help me understand why people say not to use them together? they both do the same thing, add oxygen. just in their own way.

everyone says if i want more power, just turn up the boost. but what if i want to have my boost, and have the extra power of the bottle at my finger tip whenever i want it, even while under full boost? could someone explain to me why there is no literature on this? i know i've seen supercharged v8's with nitrous. they use it under boost. so why cant i? HELP!

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
its been done plenty of times by plenty of people. jsut saying your motor is built isnt going to gt you a good answer...you need to explain what kind of compression you are at, the cams you are running, fuel and ignition system..engine management system, etc...Need to tell us how it built instead of jsut saying its built..

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, pardon me for assuming that there were some standards when building for boost. i understand that a lot of build differ.

block guard, eagle h beam rods, wiseco 9.0:1 pistons, cometic head gasket, arp head studs, stock rebuilt head with stock cam, stock intake mani, 70mm throttle body, performance plug wires and ngk colder plugs, rc 440cc injectors, walboro 255 fuel pump, greddy turbo kit, greddy rs blow off valve, performance axles, exedy stage 2 clutch, greddy e-manage WHICH i am about to sell so that i can buy a hondata. thats about the jist of it.

im not even finished with the build yet, currently im stock internals, and running 7psi, but i have the block being assembled as we speak, so i am hoping to be 250-300whp within the month. of the parts i've listed above, about 60% are already on the car, the rest are being prepped for install like the new block, internals, bigger injectors, and clutch. but basically i just want to know this nitrous information. assume the car is already assembled as listed because i already have the money invested and parts, i just have to finish the install and get a new tune.

either way, thank you.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
well..you can do a few things...a lot of people spray jsut nitrous on the intercooler to cool the charge air...others will do a wet kit of direct port kit for actually spraying on the motor. Some people will spray it to spool the turbo out of the hole where others will spray for the entire run. Basically, with your build I think your injectors may end up being too small for as much boost as you are planning. I think you may be maxing them out on their duty cycle. Your second problem is that you didnt mention an inigtion system. Without the nitrous you may end up having trouble with jsut the boost let alone adding nitrous to the mix. That should be your first investment before nitrous. Especially since you have alreayd invested this much into the motor. Either way, I wouldnt suggest much more than about a 100 shot or so. If this is your daily driver, I wouldnt suggest much over a 60 shot though. Lastly, with that much boost and nitrous you will need to run about a 108+ octane to keep from detonation problems. You are going to be running a fair amount of boost plus nitrous, so your cyclinder pressures are going to be pretty high. Which is again why you need to invest in an ignition system like msd, because you wont be getting the full burn out of each power stroke.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knew i forgot to mention something. haha. msd hot box has also been ordered. should be here tomorrow actually. and i knew i was kinda maxing the injectors, but i that was the injector i was going to use when i was planning for about 250. i currently have rc 310s because i've had the greddy kit on and running at the 7 psi it comes set at. but i've been piecing together this build for months now, and i've finally got eveything. and im almost done with the block work so im gettin pretty excited. its gettin bored to match the pistons and having the crankshaft balanced now.

i may have been a little vague on my question though. i know that most turbo nitrous applications involve spray until a certain psi, but im more interested in the mechanics of spraying while under full boost. why dont most people do it? what is bad about it? what makes it more complicated? what about fuel? timing? is it possible to have the best of both worlds? is it just way too dangerous!?

instead of n/a, is it possible to have a turbo civic and STILL spray WHENEVER i want it?

p.s. its not neccesarily that im "heart-set" on doing this. im more less trying to satisfy my curiosity, and expand my knowledge on the scenario. and yes, i still may do it. ha ha. thank you

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Knew i forgot to mention something. haha. msd hot box has also been ordered. should be here tomorrow actually. and i knew i was kinda maxing the injectors, but i that was the injector i was going to use when i was planning for about 250. i currently have rc 310s because i've had the greddy kit on and running at the 7 psi it comes set at. but i've been piecing together this build for months now, and i've finally got eveything. and im almost done with the block work so im gettin pretty excited. its gettin bored to match the pistons and having the crankshaft balanced now.

i may have been a little vague on my question though. i know that most turbo nitrous applications involve spray until a certain psi, but im more interested in the mechanics of spraying while under full boost. why dont most people do it? what is bad about it? what makes it more complicated? what about fuel? timing? is it possible to have the best of both worlds? is it just way too dangerous!?

instead of n/a, is it possible to have a turbo civic and STILL spray WHENEVER i want it?

p.s. its not neccesarily that im "heart-set" on doing this. im more less trying to satisfy my curiosity, and expand my knowledge on the scenario. and yes, i still may do it. ha ha. thank you

you can spray under full boost. the onyl down side is unless you have a fully built block, big injectors, and really good tuning, you have to worry about the cylinder pressures being too high. A lot of street cars dont do it because there is no point..msot guys cant hook with the turbo alone let alone on spray also. At the track its a different story...In short its harder to tune but when tuned right it works great.

and like i said before I think the 440 cc injectors will be taxed at the power rating you are thinking. I would at bare minimum looka t 550's...

and by msd hot box you mean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.