Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
i have an LS in my Del Sol that has stock internals
i just recently picked up a full Sniper (made by NOS) Wet kit with a 50 shot for cheap (it also came with an Edelbrock purge), and i really want to hook it up but im not trying to mess anything up as it is my daily driver
im a complete noobie to nitrous so i have a few questions

ive looked for a DIY showing how to hook it up to a b18 but havent been able to find anything, could anyone point me in the right direction?

plus i hear i need to retard my timing, how would i do that and why?

also ive been told i should get a tune, why?

my engine has 70k miles on it, do i need a compression test and how much would that cost?

i hear i need colder plugs, what ones should i get?

and lastly- i have the switch that goes on my throttlebody to when i go full throttle it engages, should i go manuel? i hear the throttlebody switchs dont engage all the time

thanks!

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
sounds like the first thing you need to do is not touch your car and save up a lot of money to find somebody qualified to touch your car. if you're asking about how to retard your timing you shouldn't be messing with n2o....you will kill yourself....not kidding of course you need a tune. and a compression test requires a compression tester. going rate is about 50 bucks. you have way to many questions to ask for what you are planning to do, and honestly you won't find what you are looking for on a forum. go talk to a shop and get real advice from real professionals not a bunch of dudes that think they know what they are doing.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
First off, you want to read the stickies at the top of the page. You will also want to do some reading on NOS's website. They have a lot of information there and I suggest you read up. I would have to agree with Darkness that you shouldn't go at this type of thing on your own right now. I would heed his advice and talk to a local reputable performance shop that has nitrous experience before you tackle something like this.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Since its a wet kit i would DEF reccomend getting a tune. I know people hook up dry setups for the track then disconnect it and drive it home ,no tune, but no more than 75 shot.

Will your motor last long? Probably not

Is it smart? No

Do it right the first time, youll be pleased with the results. Lack of knowledge brings destruction, so ya better read up.

· Registered
36 Posts
Hooking up a nitrous system is not the most complicated thing in the world, if you have basic automotive know-how. There is basic wiring and plumbing needed with an installation. And depending on the vehicle and type of system used, there may be some customization involved with making the kit work properly.

First, if you don't feel completely comfortable doing the install yourself, let someone experienced do it for you. There are many sticky's on this forum, as well as many others. I would suggest you do as much research as you can before you do anything.

Second. Tuning, Spark plug, and Fuel should also be taken into consideration. There are many other safety add-ons that are available to make an install safer RPM Window Switches, Fuel Pressure Safety Switch, Etc.

In short. Research as much as you can before attempting anything. The internet is a valuable resource, and manufacturer websites usually have tech lines to help you with any other questions.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Nitrous is like having boost that runs out.

Turbo > Superharger > Nitrous

Follow my signatures link to grapeaperacing there's a useful PDF there about nitrous.

If I were you I'd try to sell he kit and make a profit.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Nitrous is like having boost that runs out.

Turbo > Superharger > Nitrous

Follow my signatures link to grapeaperacing there's a useful PDF there about nitrous.

If I were you I'd try to sell he kit and make a profit.
opinion based on preference...i prefer turbo but depending on the application and engine configuration, each has their benefits and negative side-effects.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
opinion based on performance reliability and efficiency...i prefer turbo but depending on the application and engine configuration, each has their benefits and negative side-effects.
oh so fixed! :)

yea nitrous can be cool... But I'm not much of a fan if running short on supplys. Gasoline is enough to have to refuel.

I least prefer high comp n/a then nitro setups. The way I look at it is: why build a super-high comp when I could just do a more reliable high comp and add some nitro. Then I think: why do nitro and have to refill that damn tank when I can get a constant power boost from a supercharger. Finally why want 55% adiabatic efficiency? Not I. For me the obvious choice becomes turbo. It's problem is there's a lot more to setting up than nitrous or superchargers.

I also can't help the fact I love that trademark whistle. Superchargers sound cool though. However a turbo is the most quiet out of the 3 when it comes to exhaust.

Turbos are almost like having your cake and eating it too. But that cake can become quite expensive when setup correctly compared to the other options.

Not to many people like to tune nitrous anywyas.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
oh so fixed! :)

yea nitrous can be cool... But I'm not much of a fan if running short on supplys. Gasoline is enough to have to refuel.

I least prefer high comp n/a then nitro setups. The way I look at it is: why build a super-high comp when I could just do a more reliable high comp and add some nitro. Then I think: why do nitro and have to refill that damn tank when I can get a constant power boost from a supercharger. Finally why want 55% adiabatic efficiency? Not I. For me the obvious choice becomes turbo. It's problem is there's a lot more to setting up than nitrous or superchargers.

I also can't help the fact I love that trademark whistle. Superchargers sound cool though. However a turbo is the most quiet out of the 3 when it comes to exhaust.

Turbos are almost like having your cake and eating it too. But that cake can become quite expensive when setup correctly compared to the other options.

Not to many people like to tune nitrous anywyas.
you just rephrased what i wrote....it's dependant on engine configuration and application purposes. what benefits one motor is detrimental to others. what benefits one style of racing doesn't another style.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
you just rephrased what i wrote....it's dependant on engine configuration and application purposes. what benefits one motor is detrimental to others. what benefits one style of racing doesn't another style.
Yea, kinda. :)

well I can completely agree on that heh

come on even night rider had turbo boost :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.