Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Bump

Dude stop messing with things you don't know how they work!!! :mad If you connect your return hose to the intake tube there will not be vacuum to draw pressure when the engine is iddle because the throttle body won't open, and the engine will still need to pressurize. :bash

The way it has to be done is PCV valve to catch can and catch can to intake manifold where it will always have vacuum pressure even at iddle. On the Intake Tube cover the damn thing and on the valve cover inlet (where the intake tube hose attaches that of the valve cover) is where the engine gets its fresh air, just stick a breather filter.

Dude, make sure you clean the Oil Catch Can because what I can imagine is that it build up so much pressure that probably the oil intake is to a maximum.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freakin'H22A said:
Dude stop messing with things you don't know how they work!!! :mad If you connect your return hose to the intake tube there will not be vacuum to draw pressure when the engine is iddle because the throttle body won't open, and the engine will still need to pressurize. :bash

The way it has to be done is PCV valve to catch can and catch can to intake manifold where it will always have vacuum pressure even at iddle. On the Intake Tube cover the damn thing and on the valve cover inlet (where the intake tube hose attaches that of the valve cover) is where the engine gets its fresh air, just stick a breather filter.

Dude, make sure you clean the Oil Catch Can because what I can imagine is that it build up so much pressure that probably the oil intake is to a maximum.
DUDE..I KNOW THIS. i know how a catch works buddy, but 2.2l told me i had to do like the 1st picture in the 2nd group. i never even thought about it. but doing it that way there isnt no crank case ventalaztion. do it like the way u said, which is the same i had before, makes sence. and when i switched the hose to the right way..the smoke is gone.

whats the reason for that. is because the oil is getting backed up. im not sure on how to word what im thinkg :bash

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
DUDE..I KNOW THIS. i know how a catch works buddy, but 2.2l told me i had to do like the 1st picture in the 2nd group. i never even thought about it. but doing it that way there isnt no crank case ventalaztion. do it like the way u said, which is the same i had before, makes sence. and when i switched the hose to the right way..the smoke is gone.

whats the reason for that. is because the oil is getting backed up. im not sure on how to word what im thinkg :bash
Sorry dude, didn't realize I was being rude instead of being sarcastic which was my means. Why would 2.2l tell you to do this that way? The smoke I beleive it comes from dirty recirculation, because instead of you intaking fresh air into your engine and after each engine cycle it is liberated you were not doing this... you were recycling the only fresh air you had before the can and hose was installed. Meaning that the one time fresh air you had in your can will go to the inlet at engine then when released it passed through the Oil Catch Can and the same dirty air went back in the engine. :hug

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freakin'H22A said:
Sorry dude, didn't realize I was being rude instead of being sarcastic which was my means. Why would 2.2l tell you to do this that way? The smoke I beleive it comes from dirty recirculation, because instead of you intaking fresh air into your engine and after each engine cycle it is liberated you were not doing this... you were recycling the only fresh air you had before the can and hose was installed. Meaning that the one time fresh air you had in your can will go to the inlet at engine then when released it passed through the Oil Catch Can and the same dirty air went back in the engine. :hug
i think its because there wasnt any crank case ventilaztion which was cause alot or preussure threw out the motor. causeing oil to squeeze threw the rings..if that make sence.

i think 2.2l thought i had a breather on the catch can.

its all good. i thought u where being ass at first. but its all good. :hug

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
i think its because there wasnt any crank case ventilaztion which was cause alot or preussure threw out the motor. causeing oil to squeeze threw the rings..if that make sence.

i think 2.2l thought i had a breather on the catch can.

its all good. i thought u where being ass at first. but its all good. :hug
What was what you were trying to do in the first place? :confused

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freakin'H22A said:
What was what you were trying to do in the first place? :confused
my valve cover kept on leaking. i got a new gasket an still leaked. i went on a trip an it started again. well i know why now. pressure built up because there was no where for it to vent. so it good now.

fixed leak an my smoken has stopped. now that means its time to SQEEZE a bit before i resleeve it in oct :clap :ninja

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
my valve cover kept on leaking. i got a new gasket an still leaked. i went on a trip an it started again. well i know why now. pressure built up because there was no where for it to vent. so it good now.

fixed leak an my smoken has stopped. now that means its time to SQEEZE a bit before i resleeve it in oct :clap :ninja
NO, I meant why if you had it arranged the way it had to be, you change it to what made you leak at the valve cover?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Freakin'H22A said:
NO, I meant why if you had it arranged the way it had to be, you change it to what made you leak at the valve cover?
i removed the valve cover before thinking it was the catch can. i took the oil cap off while it was running an the leak stop right away. so it made me think.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
im really suprised you didnt blow the welds on your intake manifold. :ninja

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
wait a second here...I have my catch can hooked up like this: hose from valve cover (where PCV valve is) to the can, then to the intake manifold, basically just going inline with the original setup. I have a breather on the other valve cover nipple, the one that normally goes to the intake. Now, I assume that is the right way to do it, and RickV agrees (there was a thread about it a while ago). So...what were you doing that made the pressue build up? because as far as i can tell it's the same way you had yours, so i don't want to fuck anything up but i don't see how it could, considering you had your can the same way i do, which is essentially the way the car comes stock, you're just adding something in the line (the can).

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WillyG said:
wait a second here...I have my catch can hooked up like this: hose from valve cover (where PCV valve is) to the can, then to the intake manifold, basically just going inline with the original setup. I have a breather on the other valve cover nipple, the one that normally goes to the intake. Now, I assume that is the right way to do it, and RickV agrees (there was a thread about it a while ago). So...what were you doing that made the pressue build up? because as far as i can tell it's the same way you had yours, so i don't want to fuck anything up but i don't see how it could, considering you had your can the same way i do, which is essentially the way the car comes stock, you're just adding something in the line (the can).
no ..ptretty much everything fromt he valve cover went to the catch can. it wasnt venting anything

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
WillyG said:
just fyi, the first two pictures in this thread *look* like the catch can is routed correctly. i cant be sure b/c its so cluttered :p but it looks like its right.

but both the pictures with redlines are the wrong way.

so i dont know wtf is going on.

im going to try not to bash drivinvtec too badly here, but isnt it common sense when you install the catch can that when you took the stock hose off the pcv valve and the intake manifold you would connect the hoses for your catch can back to the pcv valve and the intake manifold?. i mean, you're removing a hose, so in my mind it would just make sense to have the new hose go to and from the same places just with a catch can in the middle.

placing one end on the valve cover and the other end somewhere else on the valve cover makes absolutely zero sense when the pcv valve is there to ventilate into the manifold and now you've gone and routed it back to where it came from.

well anyways... thats how i see it.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crdcz03 said:
just fyi, the first two pictures in this thread *look* like the catch can is routed correctly. i cant be sure b/c its so cluttered :p but it looks like its right.

but both the pictures with redlines are the wrong way.

so i dont know wtf is going on.

im going to try not to bash drivinvtec too badly here, but isnt it common sense when you install the catch can that when you took the stock hose off the pcv valve and the intake manifold you would connect the hoses for your catch can back to the pcv valve and the intake manifold?. i mean, you're removing a hose, so in my mind it would just make sense to have the new hose go to and from the same places just with a catch can in the middle.

placing one end on the valve cover and the other end somewhere else on the valve cover makes absolutely zero sense when the pcv valve is there to ventilate into the manifold and now you've gone and routed it back to where it came from.

well anyways... thats how i see it.
ok..my bad. i fucking uploaded the wrong picture on the 1st one. the 1st are the same ..an yes there right in those.

before it was like this ///valve cover to can-can to pcv

ther was no way for the crank case to vent. it was just building up inside

so the right way would be like this except instead of going to the intake it should go to the IM/// im to can-can to pcv

no wonder why u guys were getting confused. hahaha :bash

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Yes, I'm suprized your oil pan gasket isn't fucked after running it like that. Just like what you said you thought was happening your crankcase was building so much pressure that the only place it could go is past the rings, valve seals, and out gaskets.
Damn n00b :rolleyes :giggle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts