Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im all over this site looking at different posts with people saying, "Anything more than 5psi you need injectors". I have a 01 accord running 7psi with stock injectors and a pump. All i have is the FMU and a AEM ADJ REG....i hooked it up to a wideband and yes i was running rich but i mean not off the charts. Im going with a P28 and Crome for tuning..but unless ur going high PSI u dont need allll that fuel coming in when. A good tune by a good tuner..will make plenty of power on any car. Does anyone agree with me?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
what is your max IDC? And running Rich? Should be on the leaner side and not rich with the stock injectors, you should be running into headrooms problems. Do you have an FPR? You can milk a little bit of head room by raising the pressure a little, just not more than the injectors can handle. I run 10.5:1 AFR(with 800cc injectors) to make me feel good(just enough to keep detonation at bay, but not so much as to make the car run bad and worry abouut cylinder wash).

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
jbird17soccer said:
A good tune by a good tuner..will make plenty of power on any car. Does anyone agree with me?
what is power without safety? gasoline is more of a buffer than it is the reactant.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133673

at 10hp/psi, you are making around 70hp on top of your stock setup. following the equation in the above thread (which was found in the Tuning FAQs in the stickies btw), you should be running a 400cc injector for a bit of headroom.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very true...headroom would def be good...but wut im complaining about is that all these people are like DONT RUN YOUR CAR EVER without the injectors. i mean come on. im runnning 7 pounds and rich enough where my check engine light comes on to tell me the system is too rich and the curb when im parked becomes black when the car idles for a few mintues. although i keep the car on the slow side before i get a tune, even after the tune i will be fine without injectors or a pump cause i will have plenty of fuel. in years from now, if i even have the car the injectors or pump might go but it saves me hundreds of dollars now when i reallly dont have to do it.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
you'll not be getting the full potential of the forced induction without the injectors even after tuning. your stock fuel pump and injectors can't handle the fuel requirements for boost. since you're running around w/ a crappy tune right now, you can limp by without it...but once you get on the dyno, you'll have a bunch of money into the turbo system that you can't even use because your fuel system can't keep up w/ it.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
jbird17soccer said:
very true...headroom would def be good...but wut im complaining about is that all these people are like DONT RUN YOUR CAR EVER without the injectors. i mean come on. im runnning 7 pounds and rich enough where my check engine light comes on to tell me the system is too rich and the curb when im parked becomes black when the car idles for a few mintues. although i keep the car on the slow side before i get a tune, even after the tune i will be fine without injectors or a pump cause i will have plenty of fuel. in years from now, if i even have the car the injectors or pump might go but it saves me hundreds of dollars now when i reallly dont have to do it.
Idle smoke means nothing, I run at perfect 14.7 at idle, and I even pass a smog test with a single high flow cat because it doesn't put any load on the motor and I stay in closed loop. The instant there's a load and boost starts building it switches over to open loop and all hell breaks loose.

As Ultra said, sure you can do it, but are you getting the most out of your system? Is it entirely safe? Running rich at idle says nothing about what is happening when you're up near redline. What's the point of spending money on a turbo when it might just sit there because your motor is shot? If you're going to do it, do it right. You'll be able to get a lot more out of the system, have more safety and reliability. You complain about cost, how much is a new motor?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
the stock fuel pump is actually sufficient enough to supply fuel for about 230whp or so. some guys over at honda society pitched in some money to have a 94 accord stock fuel pump flow tested and for being over a 10yr old pump it flowed pretty damn well, at 110lph @ the accord's stock fuel psi of 45psi.

you can max out 440cc injectors at 100% duty cycle (440cc/min x 4cyl x 1L/1000cc x 60min/hr = 105.6lph), which are good for about 250-275whp and still be onder 110lph. the reason people change them is because of their age, and peace of mind. having a 12yr old pump crap on you and blowing up the motor isnt worth skimping $100 for a walbro pump.

fmu is just ancient technology, in this day and age theres no reason to use an fmu and risk your motor, when there are cheap alternatives like a socketed ecu w/ a rom editor which work like a full standalone.

now what are you using to control timing?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing right now to control timing...but im probaly like i said going to get it tuned with crome by chris in bloonfield so im guessing he will be able to control the timing from the P28 with the software and burn in to a chip

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no im not going anything more than 7psi. Maybe in a few months ill bring it up alittle but prob not. Yea im def gonna get it tuned with the P28. I waiting for a adapter bracket for my IACV to convert to a 2 wire. Its the only thing holding me back and i hate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.