Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah where do i start.

when i start the engine i hear it but when its running and i push in the clutch it stops and then i let go of the clutch and its back again

the car drives fine and engages fine but it bothers me alot and i just want to find out wtf it is

it sound like a un ballance something any ideas or something to narow down what it could be

·
Registered
714 Posts
Or input shaft bearing. when is the last time the tranny fluid was changed? Have you replaced the clutch lately? Only way to tell is to tear it down and check the throwout bearing, if it seems fine id suspect the input shaft bearing.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
hondapop said:
With the car in neutral with the clutch pedal not depressed, does the noise go away or change when you increase rpm?
you need to make your sig image smaller. it's waay big.

input shaft bearing is where my vote goes with what little info you've given.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes with the car in neutral the car makes the noise.
when the car is running it makes the sound but with the clutch depressed in neutral the noise stops but wen i let go its back

hondapop said:
With the car in neutral with the clutch pedal not depressed, does the noise go away or change when you increase rpm?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sounds alot like an input shaft bearing.....

Is it a low whine possibly accompanied by a slight growling sound?

I know hearing things like this are pretty crappy, because it involves alot of work to fix a simple part, BUT, check you fluid level in the tranny first of all, and maybe swithing to a different fluid will quiet it down, and/or buy you some time.

Just my $.02

Hope this helps.

P.S. : Try Mobil one synthetic 10w30, it's thicker than the OEM Honda fluid, but not TOO thick to cause problems. This may make it shift smoother too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes its just that sound will it cause tranny failure if i dont fix it

it will maybe drive 5 km a day is about two months from now till winter

efjon1225 said:
That sounds alot like an input shaft bearing.....

Is it a low whine possibly accompanied by a slight growling sound?

·
Registered
170 Posts
....just my 1.5 cents worth....I would spend a few minutes with the hood up and have someone listen while it is making the noise. If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope you can use a long socket extension or even a metal pipe, to try and located the source. Be carefull with the battery connection and the moving parts (fan). Just listen close to the end of the metal and touch the transmission, engine or other parts...you will know if you find the source, especially if you can make the noise go away with rpm. It doesn't aways work...its just worth a try, especially if the noise turns out to be something simple like a vibrated support bracket or other simple fix....

·
Registered
7 Posts
92civy said:
yes its just that sound will it cause tranny failure if i dont fix it

it will maybe drive 5 km a day is about two months from now till winte

That's hard to say....

Most of the time it's just aggravating, but not really causing any problems.

But I would not advise leaving it like that for the next 48390493 thousand miles and just forgetting about it. Over time if not attended to, small things like this can cause other problems.

**NOTE: I am not trying to tell you exactly whats wrong with your car, I have no way to do that over text on the forum....

You need to pinpoint the problem yourself or have it looked at by a trusted, competent mechanic. Then decide what you want to do to fix it, or if you can maybe hold out a little bit longer or what ever...

Start with simply visually/audibly checking EVERYTHING, then look for other possible causes, when/why you experience the problem, etc.

Take baby steps!!! Back in the day I replaced over $90 worth of ignition components and such on my truck, but it was only $6 worthof spark plugs in the end..... :bash

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have had that same noise now for quite a while along with major clutch slip. The noise started off quiet and progressed untill it got alot louder. Thankfully I just orderd the clutch kit today, (xtd stage 2 with 7.5# flywheel) Hopefully that will do the trick. Has anyone here used xtd's stuff?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
92civy said:
i dont hear it much at higher rpms
99% of the time, a whining/grinding/hissing noise from the tranny is the Input Shaft Bearing (isb on this board).

i said it before and i'll say it again. that's where i'd put my money. have a mechanic inspect it to be sure if you want, because they're not particularly easy to replace.

usually, the noise is there consistantly, just louder in the lower gears; and nearly inaudible in neutral.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.