Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I'd swap to an MSD Blaster coil before I used that thing... Nology seems to make overpriced garbage... I mean, look at their plug wires... they make zero sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got a link for the MSD coil? Does it improve HP?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
98civcEK said:
nothing you upgrade on the ignition will increase your horse power.
yup. thats 100% true. it'll help increase the capability to produce horsepower... (more powerful spark, multiple spark,etc) but it wont produce it on it's own.

I'd steer clear of anything made by Nology... it's advertising ploy... make it look complicated, claim a bunch of shit, and they can overcharge the masses of people that dont really know enough about cars to know what they're buying.

·
Registered
462 Posts
True!!!

Clone said:
yup. thats 100% true. it'll help increase the capability to produce horsepower... (more powerful spark, multiple spark,etc) but it wont produce it on it's own.

I'd steer clear of anything made by Nology... it's advertising ploy... make it look complicated, claim a bunch of shit, and they can overcharge the masses of people that dont really know enough about cars to know what they're buying.
Agree! Stay away from APC.....as well....

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
well... APC just makes garbage.

Nology is sneaky about it... I'm not gonna say their quality is bad... I've never owned anything of thiers... but look at thier parts, and thier reasoning for overcharging compared to other manufacturers, look at their claims in advertising.... then tell me how any of it makes sense from a sound automotive performance standpoint, and why you should buy it at all?

like thier Hotwires or whatever... they're spark plug wires with capacitors for each wire... according to Nology advertisements, the capacitor holds the charge, delivering the most powerful spark possible during each firing. They charge on average $180 for Hondas, and up depending on engine size.

There's no possible way a capacitor could dispense and recharge enough to fire again in the amount of time there is between sparks at say... six thousand rpms. 6K rpms is a pretty standard engine speed for most imports.

Being that the applications are four stroke engines... the ignition system will fire once during the cycle. so the crank spins twice for every four stroke cycle. so at 6000 rpms, the ignition fires 3000 times in a minute for one cylinder.

so basically, at 6000 rpms, every 0.02 seconds, your spark plug will fire. Find me a capacitor that'll fully recharge, from zero, to say... 25,000 volts within that time period... and you might be on the right track........ good luck finding one of those...

but oh wait... isn't that what the ignition coil is for in the first place? to supply a constant stream of high voltage to the plugs? So wouldn't it make more sense to take this capacitor out of the system entirely, and supply the voltage directly from the coil, distributed into wires and fed directly into the plug?? oh, yeah... it's like that from the fucking factory. Even worse, it's basically like trying to mate coil-on-plug ignition systems to a distributor igntion system... which just makes no fucking sense.

So basically, Nology is just adding on crap that sounds good to the person who doesn't know enough about cars to realize they're buying nonsensical garbage. So if you want to spend $180 on something that's implausible, could never practically work in theory or application, and just plain has more parts that could potentiall fail... go for it. Of course, you could always be smart and spend $60 on NGK wires... of which are arguably the best wires on the market today.

I know this thread wasn't about those plug wires... but I needed to make the example. You're better off buying the MSD coil, as it's not flashy, it doesn't have a bunch of crap you dont need or that serves no purpose. It's built strictly for optimization, not customization.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.