Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I just bought a honda del sol after selling my mitsubishi eclipse turbo..I have a couple of questions about this car..well when i bought it the guy said that it had a jdm motor in it. (don't know if that makes a hell of a difference) i believe it has a d16 1.6 SOHC vtech..and I also just bought a 2002 honda civic ex for parts which i believe has a 1.7 SOHC vtech in it..now my question is.. Is it possible to swap the engines and gain more horse power out of the 2002 engine or should I just keep my jdm in my del sol..im thinking about throwing a turbo kit in there since i got used to boost..lol..thanks in advanced..:D

· Registered
217 Posts
CHeck the left side of the block on bottom of it right above the tranny, it'll have a stamp in it that says something like 'D15' or 'D16' or 'B16' or 'B18' and so on...as for swapping, it'd probably be cheaper/more worthwhile to just put a B18 in there and boost it and sell the extra motor. Good luck with it though.

· Registered
11 Posts
Could go either way. Honda made a few variations of the d15. There is apparently a japanese vtec d15b that made 130 hp (didn't even know, just looked it up) and the vtec-e which came to NA with 97hp. If you are going to boost it, consider a b18b. Its the nonvtec integra motor. Cheap and all the plugs should match your car.

· Registered
11 Posts
you would need a tranny, mounts, cv shafts, and ecu. as far as i know the harnesses use the same plugs. I did a similar swap with a b18a into a crx and I used my crx harness no problem. Picked up the engine, tranny, ecu and cv shafts from a wrecker for less than a grand, then used the shafts for core exchange and rebuilt the motor. Bought the mounts on ebay and did the swap in a weekend

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help it sounds pretty easy after having all the parts. I think im gonna sell the engine off that 2002 civic and buy me a b18..just out of curiosity do you know how much power that engine makes/ i know i can prob search it but seems like you have experience on this type of stuff.. I can help you with any mitsubishi turbo questions..lol..

· Registered
11 Posts
b18b has 142hp and 127tq stock. Stronger internals than d series motors. I didn't want to spend the money on building a turbo motor so I went with type r pistons to jack up the compression. In these little cars thats not bad and still cheap to run, but not as fun as boost!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gogo 420A motors!!! Lol, I kinda want a GSX though...they're pretty nice, just get a bigger turbo for it and go have fun. I wouldn't mind another Honda now though...:(
yeah they are very fun. I miss my eclipse it had 267horses. Im now driving a del sol and it seems like it wont go anywhere when i step on it. but im loving the fuel economy on it..:D

· Registered
11 Posts
It depends on what kind of boost you want to run. Stock compression is 9.2:1 so its not too bad but if you want to run a lot of boost then forged pistons and rods might be some insurance to keep it running for a long time. If your going to turbo a rebuilt b18 in a delsol, why did you get rid of your turbo eclipse? I love hondas more but it would have been cheaper to throw some money at a 4g63 to make power i think

· Registered
1,221 Posts
ok bro check it out..

virata pistons
eagle/ scat/ tuner toys rods
acle manin and rob bearing
arp head studs and rod bolts
manifold of chioce. im partial to the pfab
dsm injectors
a t3/to4 from someplace reputable
a phearable chipped p28
and the rest of boost components of your chioce. bov, charge piping oil lines ect. ect

tune it for 15 psi and ride the fuck out around 250whp

or up the fuel pump and injectors go with a ported head and nice cam and valve train and a block guard and up the boost to 24psi (max out the turbo) and break numbers that i cant count to. d series mototrs are tanks man. they hold up soooo fucking well you could literally drain the oil and run it on water if you had too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.