Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm new here and also new on D-series.org... so I've been reading up some and would like some opinions. I am getting I think a 90 model CRX, DX model, and it has a blown motor so, I was wondering what kind of swap would be best and easy on the wallet? Like I said I've been reading up some and from what I've seen I believe a d15b sohc vtec would be a good and reasonably priced swap, and relatively less work? Am I correct with these assumptions?... Also I have been looking at websites and trying to find the best prices on them, so how does this deal sound?.. http://www.japanmotorimport.com/Jap...spx?EngineId=11 and by the way I will be honest I am not mechanically inclined but I do have basic knowledge about engines and things. So with saying that how hard would this swap be... is the engine, tranny, and ecu all I would need?... what about a wiring harness... I think the wiring will be the hardest part. One more thing... with 1500 can I get everything needed and do this swap and maybe have enough for a decent i/h/e combo?... plus what kind of times could i expect out of a setup like this? (in a CRX... or how would it perform) Oh yeah I didnt give a very inttroduction of myself so... I'm 19 and in NC... and will be joining the Army in the next 6 months. Thanx for all your help and opinions in advance! P.S. Please dont flame on me like I said I'm a newbie and trying to learn, and please don't flame just because of my age either. I've posted thi ? here and on D-series.org but I am not getting many replies... I am trying to get my plan and all info I need b4 I get started to try to be as hassle free as possible so any help will be greatly appreciated ...... Thanx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..... oh yeah one more thing. How would say a 50 shot dry nitrous kit effect this motor (maybe sprayin once a month or so?) Would any internals need to be upgraded and this would pretty good setup with i/h/e and a 50 dry shot of nitrous... correct... what could I expect it to run?... Thanx like I said I'm tryin on here and D-series .org but not getting many replies so any help will be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
One of the easiest and cheapist swaps in a REX would be the ZC not sure of what the engine code is but, it is a DOHC 1.6 non vtec D series is a direct bolt in and wiring is much easier then going vtec, the motor has 130hp and is a nice swap. My friend darren has a ZC in his rex and runs low 15's with nothing but the swap, clutch, I-H-E. Or you get the motor out of an American Si

·
Registered
707 Posts
I posted in your last thread but I guess it didnt help. The d15b vtec swap is a very cheap swap. I just did mine and it runs like a champ. Im probably $600 deep(motor, new exedy clutch kit, header, new axles, misc. nuts/bolts/fluids) and the only part I really need is a vtec ecu which is about $100. It is a very easy swap if you know how things work and, for example, where the map sensor is on a 91 and older civic/crx and where it is on a 92 and newer civic. You will need to lengthen a few wires so the sensors will reach and the distibutor from the crx needs to be modified slightly with a dremel tool(the dist. from the new motor wont work). The driver side motor mount needs to be swapped(which involves taking off the crank pulley) and theres a sensor or two that need to be transferred from the old motor to the new. Your injectors and fuel regulator also need to be transferred. You can use your old tranny but you need to swap flywheels if your car is an '88. Its pretty straight forward, but like I said, you have to know the basics of Hondas and how to diagnose when they dont work. Out of all the swaps I've done this one was by far the easiest.

·
Registered
707 Posts
pearlwhite_HF said:
One of the easiest and cheapist swaps in a REX would be the ZC not sure of what the engine code is but, it is a DOHC 1.6 non vtec D series is a direct bolt in and wiring is much easier then going vtec, the motor has 130hp and is a nice swap. My friend darren has a ZC in his rex and runs low 15's with nothing but the swap, clutch, I-H-E. Or you get the motor out of an American Si
The only difference between an American Si motor and the d15b vtec is 1.6liter vs. 1.5liter and the 1.5 actually puts out 10 more hp. The wiring for vtec takes about 10 mins.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I will be honest I am not mechanically inclined but I do have basic knowledge about engines and things. So with saying that how hard would this swap be... is the engine, tranny, and ecu all I would need?... what about a wiring harness... I think the wiring will be the hardest part. One more thing... with 1500 can I get everything needed and do this swap and maybe have enough for a decent i/h/e combo?...
you can get it done likely for about half that or less.

youll need to convert from DPFI to MPFI(search abotu that first)

then start getting the parts...
you only need to get a d16a6 cable "crx /civic Si" transmission from 88-91 cars. very easy to find and cheap. (you can use the stock DX gearbox but it wont give you the performance youd want with this motor)

the great thing abut D series is you can upgrade as you go, you dont need to do the entire swap at once.

id start trying to locate a transmission, find the block/head for the D15b. look into chipping your obd-0 ECU to run vtec turboedit.com for this or one of the 18 other ways you can run vtec...

or if your crazy like me u can ditch the damn vtec head.

im building a JDM D15b bottom with a non vtec head currently *gasp*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts