Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at a exedy "stage 1" organic clutch. it supposedly can withstand 210 ftlbs of torque. so with that im sure when i spray nitrous that ill be fine.

now i guess im still looking and researching clutches and ill consider other names i really dont know anything abot clutches. there is only a slight chance that people here will know anything about clutches first hand.

i also want to lighten my flywheel. a machine shop will be doing that.

How light is too light on the factory casting?

and i guess i need to know is there anything that i should replace when i have the tranny out?

PS i cant spend anymore than 450 dollars i dont exactly have gobs of money

· Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
I personally would not have a machine shop lighten your factory flywheel. I guess its possible for them to do, but I wouldn't.
I have a clutchmasters 8lbs flywheel and its too light, it makes daily driving interesting. I haven't looked at clutchs in years so I wouldn't be alot of help for good stuff on the market.

Make sure you change your pilot bearing and throw out bearing when you change you clutch. If you decide to use your factory flywheel, you will want to scuff it or have it resurfaced before you put it back together. Don't forget to lock tight and torque everything to spec.

Wish I had more insight, but thats a start for you.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol you only really can answer my questions. i know people do lighten factory flywheels but im just completly broke now and im looking for ways to save money.

how fast does the light flywheel rev? isnt that engine s/c? (stalked you for awhile) and what clutch and engine are you using?

i guess ill be doing more research about lightening the flywheel and ill post it up as i find out more things

· Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
I'm running a 8lbs flywheel with a centerforce dual friction clutch on a d16. Before it was sc it revved stupid fast, and you can only imagine how fast it revs sc. Problem with the light weight flywheel is it revs fast, but drops just as fast.
I'd search around, you can find used light weight flywheels from time to time. Just want to check them for heat-check. My buddy is running a ebay lw flywheel and he hasn't had any problems, but I'd look at that as a last resort.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess i could always fall back on an ebay one but i dont like to use ebay parts for things that are generally important. but ill see what material they make it out of and if it could last. also it would be important to make sure its balanced properly so where would i take it to make sure its perfect?

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have actually been boing research all today about the ebay clutches and flywheel combos. the pressure plates are exedy plates with replica clutches and flywheels.

the flywheels are aluminum and arent as strong as steel or chromoly. people blamed the clutches giving out on the flywheel not being the proper material. but i just dont know. they got their combo shipped for like 300 dollars.

some people that liked it. one guy there had it for 22k miles and perfectly fine.
F1 Racing Clutch & Flywheel Review - Page 8 - Club RSX Message Board

honda-tech had a dude's clutch tear apart (XTD) but the other people had good experiences.
F1 Racing and XTD clutches? - Honda-Tech

bad experiances for imprezas
Don't buy these clutches! - RS25.com: Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community

these guys describe it as a "hit and miss"
F1 Racing clutch feedback? Chromoly or Aluminum flywheel? - Page 2 - NewTiburon.com Forums

i really dont want to get an ebay clutch but if my clutch starts slipping thats what im going to have to use. which sucks because i dont like working on my car in the sence that i could have done it perfect the first time using quality parts. worse comes to worse i get the ebay clutch (i guess people say stay away from XTD) and throw it on there with new bearings and a chromoly fly and call it quits.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yea i was reading more its the clutches that have the spring configuration that go bad. like the clutches that have the spring to make it softer for daily driving. im not going to get one of those because thats just one more thing to go wrong. im not cerainly going to buy one, but honestly its tempting. i am probably going to wait to consider it anymore until i see some reviews of people with them for many miles or if i need a clutch asap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.