Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am being offered a 92 NSX black/black with a Comptech supercharger. Car has less than 30k miles. He is offering it in trade plus cash for my 1991 Lamborghini Diablo. I might consider it since I’ve never owned an NSX but don’t know anything about them. My intent would be to drive it for a few months then sell it. I am used to driving Lambo’s and Ferrari’s but have always liked the NSX but felt it was underpowered. I am assuming the supercharger helps that a lot. I have not seen nor driven the car yet but I’m assuming the condition is excellent. Here are my questions…

What issues should I be looking for? I heard A/C problems?

Any issues with the year 1992 that I should be aware of?

How much is it worth, especially in today’s economy if I want to resell it within the year?

Another other advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The motor is basically the Acura CL-Type S motor. Like any other 1992 Honda, you would want a good maintenance history for starters. They'll last forever when properly cared for. A compression test on this one would be a good way to see the internal condition of the motor. The motor can handle the supercharger if properly tuned. Find out what the vehicle is tuned on, and how conservative the tune is (i.e. try to find out what their target Air/Fuel ratio @ WOT was when they tuned it).

The Comptech S/C kits for the NSX are around $7000 if you look for them on the forums ($8500-9500 if you can find new ones). After some quick searching on eBay and other websites, it looks like Comptech Supercharged NSXs are being sold for $40-45,000 ($41k for a 1991, and $45k for a 2001). The highest I've seen is $60,000 for a Comptech S/C 1999 NSX with only 16,000 miles, and it has all the other Comptech bolt-on mods as well.

The prices of the early NSXs (in stock form) are coming down pretty quick to the high teens for really tired ones, to mid 20s for medium condition, to low 30s for super clean early 90s NSXs.

Basically, as long as a compression test checks out, and the supercharger was installed and tuned by a reputable shop, you should be good mechanically speaking as long as the owner took care of the care and understood what regular maintenance Supercharged/Turbocharged vehicles require. I wouldn't put down more than $45,000 as if you just bought a 91 NSX, and had the same supercharger installed, you probably would be looking at a similar or less price.

If you're interested, here's a great read on the Comptech Supercharger: Comptech SC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the info. I've been doing some research on the early NSX's and I guess I need to checkon the snap-ring range for a 92.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
how much is he offering it to you + the cash ?

that would make a world of difference... if there is a pro, the only pro would be that less parts would be breaking, cause NSX's are reliable, and the parts would be cheaper + the maintenance ... ohh i heard that a common problem is that the windshield wipers get torn off at 130 + ??? just a rumor i heard..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post a picture of her? You never know, just kidding.

Which Lambo (Diablo or Superleggera)?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Can you post a picture of her? You never know, just kidding.

Which Lambo (Diablo or Superleggera)?
i love oldschool but the new leggera w/ straight pipes is an attention whore...

saw one at my work... i was drooling... the closest thing that i got to drive as a super car was my bosses... which happened to be a GT3RS ( he got it cause he was going through a midlife crisis... told me to break it in for him... and o00h i did just that and some more... turns out that he sold it after i left... for a ferrari.. i want to test drive that one..)

but yea... leggera...

i would love to post a pic of her... but she'd probably kill me if i asked for one of her photos... lol
ohh wells...im doing this for my own needs...

lol.. im so fucked up.. selling siblings for cars... LOL

i gid ... nice knowin ya btw... and gluck with the nsx... how much are u asking for with the trade in btw ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I posted, I sold the Diablo outright. The guy never showed with the NSX. I was also offered a 1941 Willys Pro Street, some raw land, a Viper, ...

Probably best anyway, I just always wanted to drive a supercharged NSX for a few months then sell it. Maybe give it to one of my daughters and let them drive it for a while then sell it. I did that once when I wrecked my Ferrari 360 that was going to be in the shop for 3 months. I hit a truck with a trailer hitch at 5 MPH and it drilled my front bumper. $40k worth of damage. I bought an 03 911 turbo to drive as a rental car with 4k miles on it. When I was done I loaned to my daughter to drive for 6 months before I sold it. It was her dream car. I really didn't like it since it was too soft.

You can photos of my 360 and the damage on my website Gary's Exotics

Too bad you can't point me toward her myspace or facebook just for fun.

The Superleggera is a great car and I've owned many.

On the Reventon, I've seen 2 of the 20 but unfortunately I can't afford a few million for one. Not sure I would buy one anyway since it is just a fancy LP640 for an extra million.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
btw.... nice set of exotics.... and i guess you can say welcome to the honda highballer club... and i cant even afford to get in on this club....

better hurry it up with that grad school.... and i still probably wont be able to afford what u have...>< lifes depressing...oh wells be happy with what you got

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.