Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few weeks. there has been many and many threads in OT and elsewhere asking "why does the NSX cost so much?". to give a more constructive answer, I am posting here in news/rumors.

In order to understand the price, you have to understand the goal behind the NSX.

Goal: "A limited production, hand-built, exotic, mid-engine sports car that set new standards for performance, refinement, reliability and drivability."

In order to achieve the above goal, honda did a few things:

1)built an all-new assembly plant on Honda proving grounds in Toguchi, Japan

2)Dollies used to move by hand the NSX frame/bodies from station to station

3)Each craftsman assigned to the NSX body are encouraged to take as much time as needed on each body.

4)frame are hand built all aluminum (costing twice as much as steel per pound)

5)final finishing: 27 steps

6)NSX undergoes electro-deposition of a special chromate anti-corrosion primer, followed by a slow bake to bond the material permanently to the aluminum

7)Anti-chipping primer is applied and baked, then four coats of finish material, each baked and hand sanded are applied, thus insuring a glass-like durable finish."

8) Each engine is hand built by one mechanic from start to finish.

9) each engine part is precision weighted before assembly by the mechanic

10)suspension system are F1 inspired from the Honda glory days in the late 80's.

Performance:

You have to think back 15 years ago. Back when the NSX first entered the market, the NSX V6 engine had enough power to walk on most Ferrari's around the track.

Yes, 15 years later the NSX isnt the power beast it once was. Honda only did few minor changes with the engine. bumping the power out little by little.

conclusion
The NSX is a refine piece of machine. It is hand build machine with a very fine craftsmanship. Only a few manufacturer actually go through all the process like the NSX, Ferrari is one of them. If you look at the price of a used Ferrari then you know that the NSX is a bargain.

Yes, the NSX lacks some power by todays standard. But in todays world, you can pick up a $30,000 car and fix it up a little bit and beat on cars costing 3 times as much.

Is the NSX over due for a change? probably.
Is the NSX an old dog? maybe, but this dog still has some bite left. the NSX is a capable machine. it can handle itself just fine out on the track with cars that just been designed yesterday.

If you need further proof why this fine machine is worth its price, here:

how many performance car do you know looks timeless and has few hundred thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
very nice article...and very well put...
and in the picture...it says 500k kilometer...i converted it 312500miles...a very respectable number...

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
A 1966 Volvo P-1800S has managed over 3,000,000 kilometres. The engine was rebuilt at around 600,000 miles if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Good explanation, but its still a $90K overpriced car. Personally I think Honda needs to step up or gracefully bow out. I would say 99% of people that own exotic cars don't drive them daily and own other cars for their normal modes of transportation.

·
Registered
304 Posts
NSX's construction is simply amazing, but 90 grand IMO opinion is still not worth the price. I rather take Porsche 911's because till this day they're still hand built, not to mention it's cheaper, faster, and more technology than a NSX.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hprelude92 said:
very nice article...and very well put...
and in the picture...it says 500k kilometer...i converted it 312500miles...a very respectable number...
damnnnn nice job settling the debate once and for all.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mls said:
A 1966 Volvo P-1800S has managed over 3,000,000 kilometres. The engine was rebuilt at around 600,000 miles if I remember correctly.

yea but were talking about modern sports car here.
Today, nobody wants to drive their sports car anymore. either for reliability or depreciation. the NSX is different though. its made to be driven.

///m3 yea you can post it else where.
i wrote most of the stuff, but i did do research from various sources to get the info.

You guys have to remember that the NSX price is pretty much a carry over from the early 90's. when the NSX entered the market the performance and handling was very much comparable with a $100,000-$200,000 Ferarri. The NSX was a bargain at that time.

Of course 15 years of neglect by Honda, the competition has caught up to it in terms of performance. Today it would seem that the price is too much.
Most people that buy the NSX today isnt out for straight performance. they the one that appreciate a more refined piece of machine.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
mls said:
was the volvo a fast exotic car?? remember the theory the faster the car is the shorter the life of that car.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
spray004 said:
Good explanation, but its still a $90K overpriced car. Personally I think Honda needs to step up or gracefully bow out. I would say 99% of people that own exotic cars don't drive them daily and own other cars for their normal modes of transportation.
the word is limited production. a car is not exotic anymore if it is very common on the road or easy to obtain (aka CHEAP) i know accord and civic are very common sight but NSX the halo car for honda so they dont wanna make it too common. same like ferrari and lambo and many other cars simple business if u build more u can reduce the price if u produce less u cant cut down cost

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
after i read all the process i just realized the labor cost. nowadays most cars are manufactured automatically. but if u use man power it gonna cost very very expensive. remember the salary to pay all these ppl to do the job is not going down but its going up because living expenses in japan is not getting cheap but more and more expensive over 15 years. simple example why US sent all the manufacturing overseas? because if they pay the local ppl to produce it, it gonna cost alot have to pay joe and he and his union keep asking for raise every now and then if not they goin on strike which gonna cost the company even more money.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I remember watching in the Best Motoring VTEC Club they did a little segment on the NSX and I remember them saying that the body is suppose to last at least 15 years due to it being all aluminum and that the motor is suppose to get stronger with age.

Anyways the other thing people need to remember is that Gentlements agreement limited the NSX to 280hp. Now that they have pretty much gotten rid of that and if Honda does redesigns the NSX w/ a better powerplant and revised suspension etc I think it would be a force to be recockened with again.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dodolaje said:
after i read all the process i just realized the labor cost. nowadays most cars are manufactured automatically. but if u use man power it gonna cost very very expensive. remember the salary to pay all these ppl to do the job is not going down but its going up because living expenses in japan is not getting cheap but more and more expensive over 15 years. simple example why US sent all the manufacturing overseas? because if they pay the local ppl to produce it, it gonna cost alot have to pay joe and he and his union keep asking for raise every now and then if not they goin on strike which gonna cost the company even more money.
Honda has pretty much been losing money on the NSX for the past 15 years.
it wasnt meant as something to make money on. it was something that was suppose to embody Honda, its company and heritage. :btu

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if anyone questions the handling and performance heritage of NSX. you can ask Ayrton Senna himself. after all he help put the suspension together.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
TSXmike said:
some day i will own an nsx.. even if i have to pay an arm and a leg for one
how r u gonna drive an nsx w/ 1 arm and 1 leg left???? :confused
:p :p :D :D

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:
You guys have to remember that the NSX price is pretty much a carry over from the early 90's.
That's my problem. The fact that the NSX has been on market unchanged for that long, yet there has been a damn near 30,000 dollar price increase over that period of time and that wasn't due to inflation alone. Over that period of time, GM went from making a sub-400hp $60,000 dollar ZR1 to a 50,000 dollar 405 z06 that had even better refinement and performance but for a lot less than the old 91 Zr1.

I didn't expect the 2004 NSX to dip below 50k, or even cost the same as the 91 car, but if todays price had been around 70k, it would actually be a pretty decent deal. @ 90k, they're pushing it imo. Either way, fine car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts