Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
nice thread ....
Im from south america and there damn ..... very easy to get robed... never thought that in here would be so bad (USA).....

anyway I have a 05 civic VP so I have nothing on it to protect ... I wanted to put an alarm but dont know what kind I should put .... What do you think ???

my car is all stock anyway I dont think anyone would like to take it !!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Having a 2nd battery would help prevent theft or no?

I want to wire a 2nd battery into the trunk. I want it to power my system AND my alarm. If thieves cut the battery in the front, they will be in for a surprise as i will have a shop wire the alarm to the battery in the trunk (unless its easy and i can do it myself). Do i jus run the positive wire (0 gauge) from the front battery to the trunk, and ground the battery in the trunk to the chassis? I would prolly need a H/O alternator right? Then i will connect the alarm to it, and also my system will be connected with a Batcap, then a distro block capacitor, then to the amps itself. Does this sound like a good idea?

EDIT: what is this revealco thing i hear about? Anyone have a link to it?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i97supratti said:
I want to wire a 2nd battery into the trunk. I want it to power my system AND my alarm. If thieves cut the battery in the front, they will be in for a surprise as i will have a shop wire the alarm to the battery in the trunk (unless its easy and i can do it myself). Do i jus run the positive wire (0 gauge) from the front battery to the trunk, and ground the battery in the trunk to the chassis? I would prolly need a H/O alternator right? Then i will connect the alarm to it, and also my system will be connected with a Batcap, then a distro block capacitor, then to the amps itself. Does this sound like a good idea?

You need to go to summitracing.com and get a battery box. Use this link > Summit Battery Boxes You want the trunk battery to be protected and free from the ability to break in your trunk. you will want to connect your positive lead up front to the rear using 8ga or bigger wire. Make sure you use a good grommet when passing the wire thru the firewall so as not to have the metal rub thru the rubber on the wire and kill you car. Your best bet would be to hide the second wire, or even the attachment point for your + terminals. You can ground the battery in the trunk, just make sure you have RAW metal to ground it against, no paint, primer, or carpet in the way. Use a rather large blade fuse within 12 inches of the connection of the + wire up front. Also fuse the power wire for the alarm. A high output alternator would not be a neccessity since you will use a batcap.

If I were you, I would forego the entire idea in the pursuit of a cheaper alternative. Get the batcap that replaces the main battery in your car and that will suffice for ANY amount of stereo equipment you might add. And wiring the alarm in to a second battery would actually be less effective than getting an alarm like a viper that lets you buy a backup battery. The backup battery is small and can be hidden up under your dash. It works just as well and is cheaper. This is my reccommendation. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well I heard the backup batteries need to be changed often, and how hard are they to change if i locate them high up in my dash? I do not want them to be easily accessible for thieves. And a yellow top battery with a batcap and a capacitor with a built-in distro block would not need a h/o alternator for a 3000 watt system? I think i may use the backup batteries provided with the alarm, and maybe get a 2nd transmitter in case the first one that pages me is destroyed. The wiring would go like this rite:

I will take your advice and just use the backup batteries, I really did not want to add a 20 lb. battery to my trunk anyways. Would one batcap really power a whole 4000 watt system w/o any dimming at all? And what is this revealco that i heard about that makes it so the car cannot start until you plug in something attached to ur key chain?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i97supratti said:
Well I heard the backup batteries need to be changed often, and how hard are they to change if i locate them high up in my dash?
I do not want them to be easily accessible for thieves.
If they are installed correctly, they last at least 2 years (to my experience). If/When you needed to change one, it just plugs into a harness on the alarm with a plastic clip.

i97supratti said:
And a yellow top battery with a batcap and a capacitor with a built-in distro block would not need a h/o alternator for a 3000 watt system?

i97supratti said:
Would one batcap really power a whole 4000 watt system w/o any dimming at all?
People find it hard to beleive that a Batcap is so powerful. A 1 Farad cap is enough for 800-1000 watts of power. 1 batcap is equal to 100 1 farad capacitors. A conventional battery, has a positive and negative terminal. The chemical reaction within creates a flow of electrons, causing an electronic device (in this case an amplifier) to work. The stiffening capacitor is similar to a battery in that it stores a charge. The fundamental difference is it cannot create electrons. It can only store and supply (discharge) them upon demand. The advantage with a capacitor is that it discharges in one twenty thousandth of a second, unlike a battery that does SO in one second. The battery therefore cannot discharge fast enough to effectively
supply the amplifier and this is the reason for "power sags."

i97supratti said:
And what is this revealco that i heard about that makes it so the car cannot start until you plug in something attached to ur key chain?
Everyone I know of who has one, has lost the key. That, and all it does is make your ignition wires that much easier to access for a hot wire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got ahold of an '85 crx si. Its the strangest thing. The key they gave me looks like a key for a safe. Its a O. Very strange to me but works fine and is on both doors and the hatch. It has a fuel pump switch and a fan switch. But both are visable. Is there a security system I can install that shuts the car off for like 10 mins or so? Can you change the LEDs on these systems? I have seen ones that look like the night rider car. Ok kinda off topic but has any one seen that anti theft system out of like Ozy were like its two flame throwers under the car so instead or with the noise it shoots like a 6 foot flame out. Now thats what I'm talking about. But thanx alot for the good info I realy didnt know half of that.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Great write up, Rep'd.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.