Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up? i have a99 accord 4cyl f23a4, with a aem cia, and airmass header, testpipe, and 2.5 bolt on exhaust. my problem is when i replaced my cat with a pipe(with o-2 sensor attached) the check engine light comes on and stays on, so a guy from kteller(on hondatech.com) suggest i get a o-2 simulater, so i do, an ecg test pipe o-2simulater. I had a tec at honda install it for me, but the instructions are for the f23a1 engines in the accord. The simulater didn't work, so I sent it back to kteller with no problems :) , got the second one and still the check engine light comes on, :mad and I ve had the ecu checked for codes just in case, its the 2nd o2 sensor. So I have four questions. 1. Has any one used this o2 sim, and on what engines, has it worked or crapped out like mine? 2. Does any one have the wire configuration of the ecu that is in my model car? so I can double check the work of the tech. 3. does anyone think that the engine difference will make it incompatable? it shouldn't the instructions say accord 98-02! 4. is there any other way to alleiviate this problem,maybe a highflow cat? I hate having a check engine light blaring in my eye :eek , especially when nothing is wrong!
thanks

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
i'm using an o2 simulator on my mr2. it's probably a lot different though on the accords. anyways, the best thing i can think of is to try resetting the ecu after installing the simulator. when i was messing w/ the wiring on the mr2, i couldn't figure out why the check engine light wouldn't turn off. it made me triple check my wiring....then i realized i had forgotten to erase the codes by resetting the ecu.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i disconnected the battery when i installed the simulater, the light was off when i connected the battery after install, then about 48hrs later and after hitting high rpms the light popped back on, but i was wondering if the ecu has to get used to the simulater, i don't know just hopeing! but i will take it to autozone and have them reset it, or disconnect the negative for about 15 min. thanks hope it works

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
check if you popped the fuse. i was doing that too w/ my simulator at first cuz it was in backwards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now im realy confused! :confused I took my car to autozone for diagnostic and the code is conflicting, code 420 catalyst effeicency bellow threshold(bank 1). what the [email protected]!# is bank 1, I would think its the manifold sensor but the guys at honda said bank 1 is used when diagnostics on v-6, im 4cyl. so maybe the simulater is working on the test pipe and now the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold is freaking out. I did a search on this site for trouble codes and nothing I can use, of course my computer skills are suspect. i feel like a jackass because ive been dogging kteller :wow , but now im unsure which sensor is setting of the light. if it is my manifold o2 sensor what the hell can i do about that? any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
go have your CEL checked out somewhere else because the guys at autozone are fucking idiots :td

but check your fuses anyways cuz one of them might be blown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah no kidding autozone employs some real suprestars! i will take it to honda next week. as far as checking the fuses, were exactly would the o2 sensor fuses be? according to my haynes manaul I have 2 boxes, 1 interior and one under the hood, well never mind i guess i should check all of the fuses if i wan't to be 100% sure, unless you know exactly where that fuse would be, cause its not in my manual. either way im fucked :mad until i swap my engine and ecu because even if i get a high flow cat or even if the testpipe doesn't set the cel off the o2 sensor at the manifold will!unless the actual o2 sensor in the manifold is junk, but i bougth it less than a year ago or unless the fuses are blown, i will check tommorow. anyways i will reply about the fuses tommorow any advice is welcome. thanks

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
shit, i don't remember if it was the o2 fuse or the ecu fuse that blew :confused check for both, i'll have to go look at the mr2 again to look. anyways, goodluck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry for not replying for a while but ive had mad shit going on. but anyways the diagram for the fuses was in my owners manual, and the fuse was fine! so i don't know what the fuck to do now. Any ideas? I have'nt even turbod or nitrod my ride and the ecu is shitting on me! the only thing that i think I can do now is get one of those chips or whatever they are at autozone that can tell you what the engine code is and can reset the engine on your home pc. i forget what they are called maybe carchips? anyways it just kills me to drive my car every day with that fucking light on. if you have any other ideas let me know! later

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
re-install the cat and the original o2 sensor to see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when I installed a test pipe in my accord I zip tied the o2 sensor to my sway bar. the reason that you can not use the simulator is because the ecu is looking to see no voltage changes at the rear o2 sensor. if it sees voltage changes like the ones that the o2 simulator is putting out, it is going to give you that code p0420. just hang the old sensor off to the side and secure it with something

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if i were to reinstall the factory cat im sure the light would not come on, but i don't have the old cat, and i really feeel stupid for it. new honda cats are way too expensive! the test pipe i have on already has the o2 sensor in the pipe, i can take it out but i don't think it will help, but i will definnitly try thanks i let you know ifit works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.