Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated...Picture inside!!!...Suspension Help?

I was having my alignment, and I believe the tech that was performing it fucked up a bushing/arm thing....let me explain. I went in to see what the starting readings were, and my rear pass. caster was like -.09. after he was finishing, he came in to get me, and said that the rear pass. tie rod (what he called it) was just spinning, and he was un-able to adjust it, and now it was reading -.14. I will now need to replace this part, only I cannot find anywhere, on any parts lists, a discription, or "expanded view" of the part, or it's parts number. I took a few pictures, which I can post if someone wants to see, but I was hoping someone might know what the damn thing is called, and what it's part number is. It is the lower of the 2 adjustable arms, looks like a "dogbone", and is also the longest of the 2. It goes from the lower tire suspension assebly into the lower rear sub-frame. and of course, it adjusts the caster with an internal bushing. Chime in if you have a clue....Thanks!

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Caster is not adjustable on Honda Preludes.....I don't know why your even trying to adjust it.

Make sure the part on the car is in good working condition.....you can always replace the part if it went bad......or rethread the part if its possible....probably easier to buy a new one or find a used one somewhere.

camber and castor aren't adjustable on a stock suspension set up....you need to purchase a camber kit in order to adjust the camber...and the caster you would need to rig something in the mount....to move the struts forward and backward.

Its ok to be out of alignment on caster and camber....the main thing you want to dial in is the toe adjustment.......and make sure the camber are somewhat close L/R rear and L/R front are somewhat close together.....meaning...the suspension components aren't damaged on one side in anyway. If the camber is off by a lot...make sure all the wheels are flush against the hubs and recheck. if something is damaged....replace as necessary.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22,822 Posts
i think what your talking about is properly termed the trailing arm. the trailing arm on one side has a bolt that goes vertically through the main lower arm, and on the other side connects to a bracket, the trailing arm runs almost perpendicular from the main lower arm, and caster doesnt really cause excessive tire wear anyway. just make sure that your toe and camber are in spec and youll be ok.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
CBags04 said:
i think what your talking about is properly termed the trailing arm. the trailing arm on one side has a bolt that goes vertically through the main lower arm, and on the other side connects to a bracket, the trailing arm runs almost perpendicular from the main lower arm, and caster doesnt really cause excessive tire wear anyway. just make sure that your toe and camber are in spec and youll be ok.

the camber doesn't need to be in spec to be ok. You can easily run up to -2.5 degrees camber and be alright....just make sure your toe is always dialed in.

The spec for camber is +1 to -1 I believe.....or maybe 0 to -1 degrees.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought the SPC camber kit when I went for an aligment and a good thing I did cause my passenger side ball joint was completely gone and I had -3 degrees on that side

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
lOOkatme said:
Caster is not adjustable on Honda Preludes.....I don't know why your even trying to adjust it.
On a base you can add washers and try to get it back with in spec on the radios rod, but for a SH you will have to by the whole radios rod; they have them in + or -.

Check out www.slhonda.com parts sections and you'll be able to fine the part your looking for.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your input...

I actually believe, now that I think about it, it was the tow that was out. I know, it is a big difference, but I am sure it was adjustable, as the tech was able to adjust the drivers side fine, and he tried to adjust the pass side, and made it worse. I also have the camber kit installed, and the camber is in perfect OEM specs. (I actually set it myself, when I installed the kits, and when it was strapped up, it was already perfect.....try that twice!) Does anyone have a photo of the "trailing arm", is it the lower one?...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lOOkatme said:
that adjusts the toe.
I figured that out, I thank you for at least recognizing it, however. I was wondering if it had a name, and /or a part number. Can I just replace the internals, where the bolt attatches, or must I replace the entire piece. I travel for a living, and am only home on the weekends, or else I would have driven it to a dealer. As it is parked at the airport right now, I would like to purchase it online, and just take it to my alignment shop, with the part in hand, for replacing and adjusting.....please let me know. I have searched other part sights, and have come up empty...

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
TheRedPill said:
I figured that out, I thank you for at least recognizing it, however. I was wondering if it had a name, and /or a part number. Can I just replace the internals, where the bolt attatches, or must I replace the entire piece. I travel for a living, and am only home on the weekends, or else I would have driven it to a dealer. As it is parked at the airport right now, I would like to purchase it online, and just take it to my alignment shop, with the part in hand, for replacing and adjusting.....please let me know. I have searched other part sights, and have come up empty...

try here...."Lower arm, RR"

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
TheRedPill said:
Thank you, it is a trailing arm, $117, not too bad, Thanks soooo much!

are you sure its the trailing arm???

the trailing arm is what goes from the chassis to the A arm and doesn't control the toe setting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.