Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I havent payed any attention to ECU's and how they work and so on. I tried searching already, but I was wondering if anybody knew a good write up on the whole deal. I am more curious about the differences between OBD1 and OBD2. It seems as if people go to OBD1 to tune??? why is that? easier to format or something? If someone knows the whole deal quite well and takes pride in shitting information out then feel free to shit the bed. I do not know any ECU linguo so take it easy on that part.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the readily available DIY tuning software is made for obd1 or obd0, thats why people convert.
So this tunning software allows you to tune with your stock ECU? Or do you need an aftermarket ECU to tune or does that just give you more to tune and adjust? Also, what can you adjust with these software programs? (timming, air/fuel, and so on?)

Also, why is all the software for OBD1 and not 2?

Thanks a lot.:)

· Registered
17 Posts
So this tunning software allows you to tune with your stock ECU? Or do you need an aftermarket ECU to tune or does that just give you more to tune and adjust? Also, what can you adjust with these software programs? (timming, air/fuel, and so on?)

Also, why is all the software for OBD1 and not 2?

Thanks a lot.:)
OBD2 ecus are made differently/work differently. You can use programs such as crome, ectune, uberdata, neptune, smanager (hondata) with your stock ecu once it has been chipped. Some of them require other hardware, others can be used with a simple chip.

check out:

< C R O M E >
Hondata - Honda ECU Modification and Enhancement
HRTuning
eCtune - Home

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OBD2 ecus are made differently/work differently. You can use programs such as crome, ectune, uberdata, neptune, smanager (hondata) with your stock ecu once it has been chipped. Some of them require other hardware, others can be used with a simple chip.

check out:

< C R O M E >
Hondata - Honda ECU Modification and Enhancement
HRTuning
eCtune - Home
man that is unreal, you can do sooo much. So with crome, it didnt really say what you had to do in order to use it. crome looked like it was just a program. So what kind of chip would you stick into your ECU? What one in your opinion is the best?

Also, when people tune there cars, say on the dyno or whatever, what is the bulk of the tunning? Is it air/fuel that is the biggie? What is it that they sit there and adjust from run to run to make it better?

· Registered
28 Posts
a/f and trying to keep a perfect 14.7:1 at all rpm's, timing advance is big to when trying to ge the perfect spark time. when tuning its using all the different systems of the car to work well together and at a perfect rate

· Registered
17 Posts
a/f and trying to keep a perfect 14.7:1 at all rpm's, timing advance is big to when trying to ge the perfect spark time. when tuning its using all the different systems of the car to work well together and at a perfect rate

not with a turbo car, 14.7 is way too lean.

Anyway, with crome you can burn a chip or leave an emulator (moates ostrich) in place of the chip. With an emulator you can do real-time tuning. If you are tuning with eCtune, an ostrich is required, with crome it is an option.

· Registered
28 Posts
well at atmospheric pressure (n/a) 14.7:1 is called stoichiometric air fuel mixture and all stock ecu's are tuned to that for greatest emmissions, and economy and in some cases power...not tryin to start a hatin' war just spreading some knowledge

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.