Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know you are all thinkin the same thing. Why in the world would he put such a crappy product on a nice rare 92gsr. well in short i paid 50 for it used for only a month.

Now after a bit of crossmember cutting and punching, an exhaust extension, and (because the dealer put a bigger radiator in the bay when they put the new engine in) the pipes sitting about 2cm from the radiator fan, it finally was in.

This is amazing. I wish id taken pics of it before hand but for those of you who have never seen one, obx went crazy with the length of the primaries. they are loooooooooooooooooong. the welds are very nice and smooth. ports are larger than a dc sports. the flange is also cut beautifully and fits like a glove. down low i felt a loss in power. not much but a noticable amount until 3k. midrange is about the same except for the sound change from a middeep whine to a nice even rumble. but its up top where you get impressed. 5k it starts to whine a bit. but just as you start to make a face 5600k come and POW that whine becomes a bar honda f1 roar. the car comes alive, the top end is inspiring. lol. you can really tell i love my car cant you lol.

If anyone can get this header, even if its just for a temporary setup i recommend it. For its price new DC sports seems like a better deal but the price of a cc dc sports u can get an obx ss. i was going to but a comptech but im gonna use that money for something else now becaues im content with the obx. best 50 bucks i ever spent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JDM 4to1 is the best header that money can by. but i'm glad that you found something that work well with your applacation. keep it real...real fast ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 92 GS-R also. I also bought the OBX Ceramic 4-1 1-piece header. Installation was a bit tough, but it definitely was well worth it. High-end was extremely impressive. Low and mid range are not bad. Just step on it and the rpm needle just shoots right up to redline. This header combined with a great exhaust, yields greater hp then the DC sports 4-2-1, which I tested on the same car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The myth that obx stuff is crap is untrue. Maybe in the past while the company was growing but for todays obx products this is not the case. Their products are very well made and affordable.And if you havent even seen the obx header take a look at it the quality the welds are very good and they even take the time to grind out and clean out the exess welds in the runners,They flow great and have massive runners perfect for high end power. All this at a cheaper price it blows dc-sports out of the water.Not to mention they turn a really cool bronze color when they heat up. they are great. :clap ps i dont work for them I am just really surprised at the quality.

·
Registered
293 Posts
From the pics I have seen the OBX header seems to be built just as well as some of the more expensive brands like DC and Chikara. I am not sure what they are made of or if the steel is as strong, but from what I see they look like a very quality product.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have had it on the car for a good while now. Unfortunately since my car is a gen2 teg it hangs low as I said before. It now is the owner of a nice small dent lol. I am surprised that it is not bigger because I hit it HARD. I was expecting a good sized dent to a puncture. So in that respect, the steel seems to be good. Maybe one of these days I will get off my lazy behind and post a pic. Later.

M.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well I think I might actually just give in and find out for myself. I have been looking at headers, but my motor is a JDM H22 so will a header give any improvement over the exhaust manifold? If I end up getting one, I belive I will give the OBX a try first.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
jessecrx said:
Yep, OBX is coming up in the world.....their LSD is a testament to their newborn quality.
yea im starting to hear that their cams arent too bad either

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
OBX Cams' profiles = Skunk2 Cams' profiles. Stage for stage.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
scottigee said:
:eek damn those are some long primaries.
Is that a 2.5" collector flange?
Yup. Replica of the 98 Spec JDM ITR 4-1 Header, right down to the 2.5" collector. Only things that seem to be missing are the heat shield mounting brackets and the crappy dull color of the JDM ITR header that would make a person want to have a heat shield on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
are the two piece obx headers (i'm lookin at ebay...) the same deal? one piece better?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
he's asking 2pc vs 1pc
I got 2pc for ease of installation but mine is DC so I can't vouch for the OBX. Honestly headers don't make too much of a difference so if there is any difference between 2pc and 1pc you won't notice it. I recommend 2pc to make the install easier.
:btu

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:bh where the power is doesnt make it more or less usable. it depends on what your goal is and your driving style. i like top end cause i can widen the band as i need to depending on my preference or event whathaveyou. midrange is better for everyday city driving, and comfort, but not necessarily more or less usable. its personal prefernce plus application.

headers DO make a difference. how do i know? based on lots of posts on g2ic i have seen what guys are making with their gen2 gsrs (b17a1). all of them had more done to their cars than i did when i dynoed mine with i/h/fartcan. they would have cats, full exhausts, intake manifolds and make around 150hp. i made 148. everyone who was there was very impressed wiht the way the header made the car respond.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Yeah well how do I know? From driving my car before I/H/E and after I/H/E and feeling the lack of difference. That's including a high flow cat too, which also didn't make a difference.
The best thing about my header was that my collector pipe was ratlling so it got rid of that. Other than that it sounds cool but as for gains I honestly get more when I turn off my A/C.
Serious.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
a butt dyno isnt gonna tell you anything. get er on a dyno and see for yourself. if you have the time put ur old header on and then the new one and ull see a difference. the only headers that actually hurt performance are by pacesetter and that was in a professional test. any magazine that does a test on a header(check out honda tuning or import tuner i forget which they do it all the tim eon their power pages) the car makes power somewhere thus proving that they do work. and turning off ur ac doesnt get u more hp. removing it entirely will get you a very little bit. turning it off just puts it where it should be and turnin it on takes away from where it should be. just fyi.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.