Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
My point is that if you can't feel any power gains (butt dyno) then what the hell is the point of arguing over 1-2hp??? People spend hours deliberating over Greddy vs DC vs OBX vs Mugen....it doesn't matter. If you want to spend $$ for bling then get the good stuff. If you're a value shopper get DC. You're not going to feel any performance difference. I like my butt dyno and it works just fine when I can tell that my buddy's S4 is faster than my car. Now that's a power differential worth arguing about.
And I don't know what kind of an idiot I sound like but thanks, I know that turning off the a/c doesn't "add" power. Iceman you're in danger of being one of those posters that just posts on hearsay.

"removing it entirely will get you a very little bit" - really? how much? Prove it.
"check out honda tuning or import tuner i forget which they do it all the tim eon their power pages" - really? what page? which magazine?
"the car makes power somewhere thus proving that they do work" - really? Where? how much power? what does this prove?
"headers DO make a difference. how do i know? based on lots of posts on g2ic i have seen what guys are making with their gen2 gsrs" - based on lots of posts? Not nearly as much creedence as my first hand experience with these components.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
why don't you try a bookstore, any of the mags and read yourself and quit being lazy. the section is "power pages" i just forget which magazine. i'm not in danger of a damn thing. the danger here is that you are talking about things you have NO clue about. i was trying to be polite about it but the fact is butt dynos are for ricers. and you're comparing an s4 to your car? completely different classes. next you'll be talkin about an m5 and how thats worth arguing about. your so called first hand experience is severely flawed by comparing two cars that shouldnt be, not having one ounce of knowledge about anythign youre talkin about proven by the fact that you obviously haven't read a single test anywhere. there are magazines, books, articles online, honda devoted websites and even a local dyno shop could show you proof. just because you can't feel the gain doesnt mean it isnt there. you need to take a serious look at just how much of an idiot you're makin yourself out to be. for reference, check out team integra and read a few of the articles on there and try and work some of those brain cells that thus far seem to have absorbed only what the fast and the furious has ingrained into your psyche. enjoy.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Dude, get a life. You don't know me, my car, or my style...none of it's rice.
Go mod your car and then come back and tell us the results. Enough of this "I read it here" or "my friend told me this." It's not helping anybody out.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Sorry Kommon. Sorry Iceman.
Long story short do your dollar per hp analysis :btu

Free research rides for anyone in the LA area who wants to feel/see/hear a DC 4-2-1 on a GSR with I/H/E. Let me know.
-Scott

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
im sorry too but i've already done things to my car and dictated my results, both here and on record at a local dyno shop. in fact this thread is my review on a part i put on my car. so i really dunno what youre talkin about. nothing i said was hearsay nor was it assumption. everything ive said was based on some sort of first hand experience. look at it like this. if headers had so little power value, why is it that every sport compact drag racer, auto crosser, drifter, scca professional team, and grassroots motorsports team/driver is using one? in addition peak hp numbers dont mean squat, its the area under the dyno curve which is why just a butt dyno is useless. i really think youd feel differently if you actually see how your car is reacting than by simply saying "this part is useless cause i can't feel a difference". give it a try, if for nothing else just to see what kinda numbers you're laying down, bragging rights, or just some fun info to talk about at a local meet. but anyways have a good day. :aww lata.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
the chikara are fine if u want a temporary header. its much lower quality than dc, obx, megan, or tsudo. after that it gets to the oem jdm type R headers, comptech, spoon, mugen, then to toda, hytech, anr, smsp, and the like.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
IcemanGSR said:
:bh where the power is doesnt make it more or less usable. it depends on what your goal is and your driving style. i like top end cause i can widen the band as i need to depending on my preference or event whathaveyou. midrange is better for everyday city driving, and comfort, but not necessarily more or less usable. its personal prefernce plus application.

headers DO make a difference. how do i know? based on lots of posts on g2ic i have seen what guys are making with their gen2 gsrs (b17a1). all of them had more done to their cars than i did when i dynoed mine with i/h/fartcan. they would have cats, full exhausts, intake manifolds and make around 150hp. i made 148. everyone who was there was very impressed wiht the way the header made the car respond.

are you fucking stupid? where power is made is the MOST important thing...peak numbers literally mean shit, how much time do you spend at your peak hp RPM? i doubt long enough that it fucking matters.
dont give me that bang the head on the wall shit, i would rather have a fat torque curve and broad hp range then a shit torque curve and hp curve that sucks until 8,000.

Useability isnt the stupid way, its the ONLY way.

also about your hp, comparing your dyno to other peoples is stupid, there is to many factors to do that, only comparing mods to mods on your OWN car are legitament RESULTS and differences, you are to busy worrying about peak numbers...i gaurantee if you race a similar car that is worried about useable power and torque youll get fuckin waxed if they do it right, its common sense.
Fuckin ricer

·
Registered
14 Posts
obx

So i just got my 1990 crx si, i am 17 and heading off to collage so i dont have the money for a b16 swap, but i was wondering about the obx headers for the crx, has any one tried them for a crx. Also to the person who said thier acura sounded like a bar f1 honda, what do you ahve for an exaust?

·
Registered
517 Posts
all this arguing over different headers. Well here's something to argue about. People say the 4-2-1 styles are better for bottom end and midrange. This is definately true. They say jdm 4-1 2.5 collector styles hurt the bottom a lil but have a more on top. This is also true. So lets say i have a (i,h,e) and ud pulley gsr that runs 9.3 1/8th miles at high 76, low 77 mph with a 4-2-1 obx header. Now lets say i dump the obx for a Top Speed Pro-1 enhanced version of the jdm type r 4-1. Basically the same jdm 4-1 as every other company. First off the things noticable. The jdm 4-1 is so so so oh so much louder. From idle to 4000rpms it made it sound very close to a wrx. Yeah thats right a fuckin wrx. Funny huh. On top end it was stupid loud. Now for the power. Bottom end went to shit and the midrange was near the same but still not as good. The top end (6700 to 8200) you could feel a lil difference. Overall i went from running 9.3's at high 76 mph to running 9.6-9.5's at high 74 low 75mph's. Imagine how pissed i was. Plain and simple i'm sure that on a dyno my peak numbers would have been a lil higher then the obx but the torque was hurt so bad that overall it wasn't as fast. My view is i think that there was too much flow for my basic all motor setup. I already have 2.5 exhaust and i think the massive header was just a lil too much. It messed up the scavengering effect. Now if i were reving higher and had higher compression and larger cams, there's no doubt in my mind that the big 4-1 would be better. But when you have a basic setup you just better stay with the 4-2-1. Well i got another 4-2-1 header from ebay. An ssautochrome piece of shit. Everyone here knows ssautochrome stuff is junk. Well i bought one anyway. $50 Thats right just $50 freakin dollars. Well now the teggy is going 9.2's at 77mph. Hmmmmmmm craptastic 4-2-1 vs the almighty JDM 4-1?????? You know my opinion.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
kommon_sense said:
One more irrelevant post and this thread gets locked... Would be ashamed to have to do this because people couldn't resist the urge to be stupid...
Good job people...

This thread has been locked...

re-opened.... hopefully the bickering will not continue.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
... I'm tentative to even post in this thread, but here goes.

I've done some research on headers, and it's a pretty scary topic. Now, I'm pretty happy with my stock 4-1 '91 crx si headers. Sound is great stock, I'm putting down decent power/torque all-around (relative to the size of the car) which keeps driving her a blast. What I'd like to do is put my t25 turbo on there, with some intercooler and some bov, along with some custom tubing who professionally designs silicone turbo piping for the big names (they've finished the new srt-4 at this point, as an example).

So really, I'm wondering if anybody has tried out the OBX turbo headers for the D16 engines that I keep hearing about, and does anybody know if they'll fit a DOHC ZC as opposed to an SOHC d16a6? So far, everybody's reviews of OBX have either been good to very good, or based entirely on some other product (megan is the only good header in existence, ever, period.).

I know these headers sell, I'm just curious as to the longevity, quality of steel, quality of welds, etc. of these headers (or is it this header? is it one unit or four tubes that make up that part?)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
drummingpariah said:
now THAT is a good answer to a question. is it a turbo header, or 4-2-1, or 4-1?
WTF is a turbo header???

it is a 4-2-1 I heat wraped it to keep under-hood temps down. it was like 90 bucks off of ebay. so far icant say a bad thing except Iwish the collector was bigger, this one is a little on the small side, but the bends look ok and fairly smooth. here are some pics:

was easy to install to, hardest part was removing the old one.......

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
drummingpariah said:
... I'm tentative to even post in this thread, but here goes.

I've done some research on headers, and it's a pretty scary topic. Now, I'm pretty happy with my stock 4-1 '91 crx si headers. Sound is great stock, I'm putting down decent power/torque all-around (relative to the size of the car) which keeps driving her a blast. What I'd like to do is put my t25 turbo on there, with some intercooler and some bov, along with some custom tubing who professionally designs silicone turbo piping for the big names (they've finished the new srt-4 at this point, as an example).

So really, I'm wondering if anybody has tried out the OBX turbo headers for the D16 engines that I keep hearing about, and does anybody know if they'll fit a DOHC ZC as opposed to an SOHC d16a6? So far, everybody's reviews of OBX have either been good to very good, or based entirely on some other product (megan is the only good header in existence, ever, period.).

I know these headers sell, I'm just curious as to the longevity, quality of steel, quality of welds, etc. of these headers (or is it this header? is it one unit or four tubes that make up that part?)
i have an obx 4-1 2 piece. check my photo gallery for pics.
quality i would rate a 6 out of 10. it's just about average, nothing special. plus the install wasn't very smooth. the header touches the nipple of the relief valve on the slave cylinder that's on the tranny (at least, i think it's the slave). also, it wasn't bent properly i don't think, because it rattled against the oil pan. i had to heat it up with a torch, then use a prybar to bend it slightly for a "perfect" fit. other than that, it does it's job.

i have lots of pics of the header in the photohost though.
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/23518

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
drummingpariah said:
I was under the impression that a turbo header was different from a standard n/a header. maybe the downpipe is just shorter. forgive my ignorance, please, send me in the right direction.
um Ithink you are talking about a turbo car, it goes turbo head-->manifold-->turbo-->down pipe.

na it just goes head-->header-->exhaust

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.