Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ordered an OBX-R LSD for my 1995 Integra GSR. It looks pretty solid and appears to be well made. I paid a little over $400 for it. I've heard good things about it so thought I would give them the chance. AT half the price of a Quaife, if it perform even close to it I will be happy. I'll let you guys know more about it when I get it installed!

·
Registered
111 Posts
glad to hear i am not the only one who purchased one, i paid $300 shipped for mine and was just installed today.....i have not picked it up yet, but will let you know how it performs.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
i've seen these things break and shatter some poor boy's tranny casing.

good luck on your setups :fear

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
i've seen these things break and shatter some poor boy's tranny casing.

good luck on your setups :fear
post pics if you have no first hand experience

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
how would i benifit from lying about something like that? maybe its okay for guys who just do straights and only need it for launches....but for the REAL driver who takes corners hard, then you better be careful with it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here is an update on how I like the LSD. Junk! It rolled out of the shop, went SLOWLY for maybe ten feet, and the LSD broke. We used Honda tranny fluid, just like they use in the Type R. So now I have to put the stock diff. back in and try to get OBX to pay for their f*up..... I highly recomend buying a KAAZ or Quaife instead of this peice of crap.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Mr GSR said:
Well, here is an update on how I like the LSD. Junk! It rolled out of the shop, went SLOWLY for maybe ten feet, and the LSD broke. We used Honda tranny fluid, just like they use in the Type R. So now I have to put the stock diff. back in and try to get OBX to pay for their f*up..... I highly recomend buying a KAAZ or Quaife instead of this peice of crap.

that's what i'm talking about.... :rolleyes

sorry about your loss bro.

Reactions: lowcivic66

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what I have spent and will be spending on labor to have my stock diff. put back in, I could have bought the whole JDM tranny already equiped with the LSD.
I called OBX and they told me to ship the unit back to them. The are going to give me a new one, if mine is broken. They are not going to pay for any of the bearings or labor, even though their part broke so shortly after use. Their customer service sucks....
I guess I will be selling the unit on ebay and take around a $1K loss on the whole deal.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
ha, Ultra is right most of the times. Sorry to hear about it though :(

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
kommon_sense said:
This is the first failure that I've heard of regarding an OBX. There are countless people running them. I'm still a little hesitant of buying one, but a lot of folks have been happy.

i agree. more than likely it was not intstalled correctly...even if it wasnt a top quality LSD i dont see how its gonna roll 10ft and then break and claim that it was installed correctly.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a buddy who wouldn't wait for me to work on his car and sure enough the mechanic who did the work screwed it up. Ended up being an install error once I got the car flat beded over to my garage. I would get a replacement and then find a different shop. Those parts do go through pretty good QA testing and spec measurements so I would say the part was good.

I still agree with ultra though this is not the part for the everday driver.

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
You should sue the shop. You would win easy. Give them a chance to do whats right and fix THEIR wrong. If they dont just tell them youre taking it to litigation and the better business beareu.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shaolin_style said:
You should sue the shop. You would win easy. Give them a chance to do whats right and fix THEIR wrong. If they dont just tell them youre taking it to litigation and the better business beareu.
Once we got it out it was in fact the LSD that messed up. The guy I bought it from is suppose to refunding me as soon as he gets it and looks at it.
So the installation wasn't the problem, it's OBX and I'm now a firm supporter of OBX Sucks!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
:wow Thats all I can think, Sorry to hear that, personally I would never buy anything but the best for any of my rides. I stick by that an am concrete believer in this. But I morn for the loss you have had, you learned a valuable lesson.............. Good luck in the future with product selection,

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that. It's hard to find a good cheap LSD. Engine importers have ITR LSDs, but they won't sell them seperately. It looks like spending $1000 is the only way.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
I'm sorry to hear about that. It's hard to find a good cheap LSD. Engine importers have ITR LSDs, but they won't sell them seperately. It looks like spending $1000 is the only way.
I almost bought a ITR LSD for $300 shipped off HT.

Deals are available if you search hard enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts