Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
What exactly went wrong and yeah this kinda stuff scares me. I know they basically ripped the quaife design.

I also read a thread on ht about metal shavings being an issue. Also I wondered if they were supposed to be filled with oil or not? Perhaps that contributed to the issue?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
mike_sho said:
I know they basically ripped the quaife design.
They did copy Quaife's ATB design, but unlike Quaife, OBX likely manufactures their product with sub-par machining tolerances and assemblers - and possibly (but unconfirmed) sub-par materials. The price reflects that.

Quaife ATBs are precision manufactured by the company that engineered them and are 1 step away from unbreakable. Their no-questions lifetime warranty reflects that.

Also I wondered if they were supposed to be filled with oil or not? Perhaps that contributed to the issue?
You can't fill it with oil. It's not a closed case.

The diff is partially bathed in transmission fluid already since it is inside the transmission case. If it were an oiling issue, there would be more problems with the trans (namely input shaft bearings failing - since they are the highest bearings in the trans, they are the first to starve for oil when the level is low).

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I thought countless people on HT and other forums have used these and been satisfied?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
This is new to me, I've never heard anything but good things about OBX. With the Quaife you pay for peace of mind, and with the OBX you can buy 2 for the price of a quaife but with the (now apparent) risk factor...

To me it would depend, if I wanted an LSD for my front wheel drive integra I would buy the OBX (don't they have a 'life time' warranty too?). But if I wanted an LSD for my FR, I'd buy the Quaife.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Everything that I've ready about the obx was that they worked. However you need to be prepared to tear it apart, inspect it, clean it up, and rebuilt it as needed. I've seen pics of all types of things. thrust washers mixing, splines incorrectly machined, stripped bolts, 2 case halves not even lined up, etc. So as long a you know what you are doing, you can get a good deal with an obx unit. Just don't buy one thinking "Oh, its just like a quaife, just cheaper."

·
Registered
213 Posts
this is how i look at it.How many times you read of people breaking a OBX lsd incontras to a Quaife, and if you have one once of dobt in a product don't get it,save your cash and get the good stuff,and i know for a fact every one in this forum is not an OBX supporter.Sorry about what happen.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts