Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here ever used octane boosters?? did you feel any type of difference? I just bought some just to try it out and see how it works, haven't put it in yet though, waiting till the gas tank is almost empty. It says 104+ octane booster, and that its safe to use at every gas refil.

· Registered
114 Posts
104+ works pretty good, I've used before w/out any problems on my obdII hybrid. Actually, I have to use it now that I've milled the head .040 and spoon head gasket + .3 CR I was hearing a ping also so I guess its in the 11's cr wise.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Octane boosters are only good when

1) You're having car problems causing pinging

2) You buy bad fuel

3) You have an active or progressive knock sensor (even then, it needs time to "learn" that it has higher octane fuel in)

4) You have a reprogrammable computer and dyno tune for it.

· Registered
10,424 Posts
Sunder said:
Octane boosters are only good when

1) You're having car problems causing pinging

2) You buy bad fuel

3) You have an active or progressive knock sensor (even then, it needs time to "learn" that it has higher octane fuel in)

4) You have a reprogrammable computer and dyno tune for it.
Very true

Lets remember folks higher octane DOES NOT add more power

· Registered
1,274 Posts
On my first car before i got rid of it ( 4 days) i ran the car off straight octane booster. 2 bottles and no gas. Now the whole front end of the car picked up when i florred it and it spit out very miniscule puffs of white smoke. It was so fast.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
in lower compression engines it doenst give u any power..it gives u less...but u feel more torque...i believe it gives you more power but stats show otherwise..haha o well....its good to use it once in a while...

· Registered
1,104 Posts
AccOrDZteCh said:
in lower compression engines it doenst give u any power..it gives u less...but u feel more torque...i believe it gives you more power but stats show otherwise..haha o well....its good to use it once in a while...
It doesn't really matter whether the engine is low or high compression. The effect is still the same.

I have no idea where people get the idea that you can lose power, but gain torque. Power = torque x rpm x (unit adjustment modifier) If you lose power, you must have lost torque.

The only thing I can think of, is that people usually refer to low end power as "torque" while they refer to high end power as "power" for some strange reason.

· Registered
3,081 Posts
you don't need to use high ass octane shit especially 100 or 104 and octane boosters like that. You need to use higher octane fuel when running a lot of boost (FI)

· Registered
2,618 Posts
Sunder said:
It doesn't really matter whether the engine is low or high compression. The effect is still the same.

I have no idea where people get the idea that you can lose power, but gain torque. Power = torque x rpm x (unit adjustment modifier) If you lose power, you must have lost torque.

The only thing I can think of, is that people usually refer to low end power as "torque" while they refer to high end power as "power" for some strange reason.
its really confusing cause i believe it gives u more power...i put a thread like this a year back and i got all negitive results in that it should only be used in higher performance cars. some people think about gasonline when this theroy is introduced...like if u have a 91 accord like mine and u put 91 octane u loose power...poeple then can argue that it is the same for octane boosters as well...honestly you may be right, and i may be wrong..or we are right in one way or another...i will only know for sure if we can get some statistics and graphs you know...

but really i do believe it gives u more..just donnno how much power. but i like the one that gives u like 8 points...too bad it goes away quick..

· Registered
114 Posts
High compression heads need higher octane than 94 in some cases. I don't know what my compression ratio is, but it is higher than stock. It has a JG redline head milled .o40(mm?) and spoon headgasket(raises cr by .3). I know ctr pistons in my block would generate a cr of~12 or so (correct me if im wrong) which I plan on getting.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
cool..hehe today i put about 2 bucks of 89 octane...hehe my car really takes 87..a little boost i feel...haha little as tehy get..

· Registered
75 Posts
CTR I BELIEVE HAS A CR OF 11:1 MY B16 HADS A CR OF 10.6:1 I RUN 92 OCTANE OR 94 WHEN POSSIBLE I HAVE NO PINGING AT ALL CAR SEEMS TO RUN STRONGER WITH 94 BUT MY GAS MILAGE IS WORSE I HAVE YOU OCTANCE BOOSTERS I DIDNT THINK THEY HELPED THAT MUCH CONSIDERING ONE BOTTLE ONLY RAISES IT .2 OF A POINT WHICH YOU WOULD NEED 5 BOTTLE TO ACHIEVE ONE OCTANE LEVEL HIGHER I.E 94 WOULD THEN B3 95 OCTANE MY .02

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.