Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. new member here. what octane gas do you all use in your civic? i just filled my GFs civic up with 91 octane, and she gets all pissed at me and says its too high octane, that she's only supposed to use regular 87 octane. is there a problem with using higher octane gas?

btw i have a 2000 DX 4-door.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
well it's not going to damage anything, lol. some say it's a waste of money, but it's a fact that when i use premium (which i always do now) i get between 340-350 miles to a tank, when i use regular it get 310-320 miles to a tank. so you do the math, plus i'm guarded against any pre-det. (since i have my dist. advanced some)

plus, if it's an older engine, and it doesn't get cleaned regularly. there a chance theres quite a bit of carbon build up, which ups the compression, and more compression means more risk of pre-det.

plus, correct me if i'm wrong on this one, but i do believe high octane gas has a bit more detergent in it, at least shell v-power does i know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I notice when I run 91 I get 1 1/2 to 2 MPG better than 87. I do have better luck with Shell/Texaco or Chevron over the other stuff that is out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts