Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm very new to the forum and need some info on my 99 ex front grille. I was interested in getting an aftermarket upper front grille (you know... the mesh ones), and I was wondering if I could just remove the OE front grille from it's housing (which would just leave a big gaping hole around it) and put in my own mesh. Yeah, it seems like a lot more trouble than making a few mouse clicks on ebay and draining $30 some odd dollars off my debit card, but I'm always up for some diy shit. Like I said, I'm very new (I just got my car a meer 8 months ago and I'm so madly in love with it :D ) and since it's tax season, I'm gonna start doing some mods here and there. I'll post pics in a few days when my rims come in ;) THANKS A BUNCH!!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's not as easy as replacing the black inner plastic with a mesh screen. You actually have to cut out the inner plastic (not all, just some) because in case you've never popped your hood before the top of the bumper is actually attached to the black plastic part, not the outer frame. I did this and I like the way it came out, but I still like the Si grills better because the outer part is actually deeper. I also did the bottom piece and painted it black:

This is peteex's car with the Si grill. See how deep it is?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I bought mine on eBay already painted and installed it myself. I am considering painting the grill part black cuz I think it looks really nice. It looks like the person before me cut the plastic (did a DECENT job) and then used some very thin wire to hold the mesh onto the OEM grill. Good luck with your modifications, hope they go well! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts