Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lateley i've been considering putting oem bmw/audi projector lights into my car. but i've got a few questions, first of all is there much of a difference between doing this and just buying an aftermarket HID system like Mcculuhcs or one of the other ones i've heard about. Second of all if i do decide to do this how hard is it to actually fit the projectors into my stock housings and thirdly which ones should i go with? Are the audi ones smaller then the BMW ones or is there not that much of a difference

Thanks

BTW any DIY tips would be greatly appreciated'

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
it will be easier and cheaper to buy a universal kit such as phillips, hella etc... rather than retro fitting bmw/audi projectors to your head light housing.

btw, phillips hid (4100k or was it the 4300k) is by far the best.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
while I do agree with the ease of instalation, the projector retrofit is damn sexy and controls the light so much better. I'm really thinking about doing this the next time I have some actual free time (what's that again?). A little while ago, I did some searching on ebay for audi projectors and in a couple auctions they have links to pages with more info on this subject. I don't have the links anymore, but they should be pretty easy to find again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
sttk2k said:
Lateley i've been considering putting oem bmw/audi projector lights into my car. but i've got a few questions, first of all is there much of a difference between doing this and just buying an aftermarket HID system like Mcculuhcs or one of the other ones i've heard about. Second of all if i do decide to do this how hard is it to actually fit the projectors into my stock housings and thirdly which ones should i go with? Are the audi ones smaller then the BMW ones or is there not that much of a difference

Thanks

Thanks again
it would be cheaper to buy my mcculloch 9006 hid kit. Color temp (4300k) plug and play kit. 300 shipped about 4 months old

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Re: Re: OEM HID Retrofit

95accordvtec said:
it would be cheaper to buy my mcculloch 9006 hid kit. Color temp (4300k) plug and play kit. 300 shipped about 4 months old

Agreed. hahah
BMW745i Projectors and bulbs, ballast/ignitor $600
JDM Headlights $300
Price to retrofit and put on car $Priceless

·
Registered
236 Posts
$600 hah.
i'll sell you bmw or audi
-xenon projectors for $120 a pair
-or bi-xenon projectors for $190 a pair
-ballasts for $170 a pair
-u can get d2s bulbs off ebay for $50-70
so for $350-400 you'll have a setup far superior to any kit.

No kit can compare to a true xenon setup. especially to a audi a6 or a bmw projector. go spend $300 + shipping on a kit for technology ur not even getting the full benefit of. do urself a favor and just run 9005s in ur lows. unless your in it for looks then fuctionality.

not only does this look better it works 1000000x better. not to mention you blend in with the other cars on the road instead of stand out with all the ppl with their obnoxious 14,000k xenon kits.

bmw bi-xenon projectors
audi hella ballasts
osram 4100k bulbs

if ur still not set on doing the conversion than do urself a big favor and buy oem ballasts and 4100k d2s bulbs. then just modify your housing slighlty so the bulbs will stay put and it is focused. this will be $250 tops and you'll have quality parts. forget the kits.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
VXCL said:
$600 hah.
i'm about to have the projectors, but which ballasts do you sell? i'm interested in buying bulbs and ballasts

·
Registered
236 Posts
oem bmw and audi mainly. i should be gettin a 03 x5 pair and a new m5 pair. i dont think i can get bulbs though. ill let you know.
the black housings are for functionality and looks. the xenon glares way too much off the chrome. im glad u like the cl. heres the rear. both bumpers have molded lips

im trying to work on a how to for my cl board ill post it in here also. this link has info on taking the housing apart.
www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120472

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
sttk2k said:

Thanks

Thanks again

After going through all possiblities, OEM projectors are the only way to go. I've done OEM housings with stock bulbs, OEM with PIAA Plasmas, Black ion with PIAA Plasmas, Black ION with 9005 Silverstar conversion, Black Housing with with sliverstars, all black with silverstars, all black with 4100K rebased osrams(real HID) 6000K with rebased ultinons, back to oem housing with 6000K ultinons, now hella projectors with black housing projectors and 4100K philips 85122s, with ultinons sitting in a box waiting for me to install them.

ALL aftermarket housings SUCK, except the new TYC projectors, those are THE ONLY housings I've seen that was a pretty damn nice beam pattern. HID is OEM housings is tolerable but not fantastic.

rebased ultinons in OEM reflectors, the blue stripe on the bottom are my fogs.

now it's this

that makes this

do this.

And I'm not done yet. I have a set of E46 M3 bi-xenon projectors, and a pair of leveling motors that I just got working on teh bench with a stepper controller, so next step will be bi-xenons with a little switch so I can raise and lower the beams :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
illusion, im with you on the bi-xenons. i have the ones you got. they are awesome. they spread the light very far, but the audi a6 is still brighter in the center. anyway you really think leveling motors are worth the trouble? i can only see their purpose on hills. i just drop the plate if no one is in front of me. i think you said you go driving through canyons so i can see why u would definitely want the leveling motors.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
no real purpose, I got them for free, and got a stepper motor controller for $1 at a local junk shop. Just something else to screw around with :p

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
VXCL said:
$600 hah.

No kit can compare to a true xenon setup. especially to a audi a6 or a bmw projector. go spend $300 + shipping on a kit for technology ur not even getting the full benefit of. do urself a favor and just run 9005s in ur lows. unless your in it for looks then fuctionality.

not only does this look better it works 1000000x better. not to mention you blend in with the other cars on the road instead of stand out with all the ppl with their obnoxious 14,000k xenon kits.

bmw bi-xenon projectors
audi hella ballasts
osram 4100k bulbs

if ur still not set on doing the conversion than do urself a big favor and buy oem ballasts and 4100k d2s bulbs. then just modify your housing slighlty so the bulbs will stay put and it is focused. this will be $250 tops and you'll have quality parts. forget the kits.
indeed diiy owns

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.