Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Lancer EVO VII will be here in Spring 2003.

Prices will be $25-30k.

The USDM version will have 250 HP, not the 276HP that the JDM version has.

Sorry folks, but I told ya so.

This is straight out of the new C&D page 34.

· Registered
59 Posts
Hey...it's only illegal if you get caught....:D :D

· Registered
794 Posts
GPR said:
Hey...it's only illegal if you get caught....:D :D
OOOH can't wait.... perhaps I'll save up and use the Honda for daily driving and get a EVO VII for weekends, course that'll be like 3-4 years and buy a second hand one :)

Funny, I like that quote, it's kinda like this one;
"It's only sexual harassment if they don't like it."

· Registered
308 Posts
just don't get so much hype on this car

I have sat one in Hong Kong

Interior looks like POS. as of quality issue, they aren't that good...
look worst than a Subaru WRX.

there is also some recall on the transmission or differential.

they have reasons to tune them down, just like the Audi 1.8T
or VW 1.8 ...etc

I think the Evo 7 is built and assemble by RalliArt department,
Chasis is made by Mitsubishi

· Registered
22 Posts
SteVTEC said:
The Lancer EVO VII will be here in Spring 2003.

Prices will be $25-30k.

The USDM version will have 250 HP, not the 276HP that the JDM version has.

Sorry folks, but I told ya so.

This is straight out of the new C&D page 34.
in my motor trend they said it is going to be $28k-$32k and that the car is quoted at 276 hp only because of japan's courtesy rule. In actuality an evo has 305+hp stock. They said knowing this they are going to try and bring it over with at least 276. Also, in the article they said all they were doing is making the car so it can run on 93 octane instead of 97 octane. They are working to make it so they don't have to remove the intercooler but there are some issues with cali's bumper laws or something. If they have to take out the intercooler then maybe 250 is sorta realistic...

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Re: Official EVO VII Info

bachviet said:
Ain't no way the EVO VII is goin' to run on 93 octane 'cauze we only have 91 (at least in California) or 92 octane gas!
yup.

that's part of the whole "detuning" process to bring JDM cars over here. Engineers have to get the cars to run on the "minimum standard" gas, which in the US is 91 octane since 93 isn't available everywhere. That cuts down on the boost you can run.

US law states you can't have any bumper damage in impacts of 5 mph or less, or something like that, but it was damaging the JDM car's front mounted intercooler so they would have had to do something about that.

Then there's much stricter emission laws so that means more catalytic converters and less performance.

Then there's noise laws which means a more muffled exhaust and less performance as well.

So that's what will take your 305 HP car underrated to 276 HP for Japanese laws and then detuned to 250 actual HP for sale in the US and even tougher laws ;)

But to all the performance freaks out there, don't worry. You'll be able to open that puppy back up to 305+ easily. It's only illegal if you get caught...muhahaha

· Registered
22 Posts
vtec vsex said:
they still come with the recaro seats and brembo's right?
yeah...that is almost definite from what i read they didn't mention a word of interior changes.

Steve, thanks for the info...i think the legal bumper rating is 2 mph and honda's have 5mph...it's one of those things the sales people tell you

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Accord126 said:
Steve, thanks for the info...i think the legal bumper rating is 2 mph and honda's have 5mph...it's one of those things the sales people tell you
no prob. and I'm 99% sure it's 5mph. If a Honda salesman said 2mph/other and 5mph/Honda then he was BSing you to make a sale! :D

:laff:

· Registered
22 Posts
SteVTEC said:
no prob. and I'm 99% sure it's 5mph. If a Honda salesman said 2mph/other and 5mph/Honda then he was BSing you to make a sale! :D

:laff:
Steve, i'd say you should still check out motor trend. It's the issue with the new mustang cobra on the cover. Towards the back there is a comparison between evo and oz rally lancer (LOL)...Anyway, from reading that i got the impression it would still remain closer to 276 if not 276hp....take a look at the mag and let me know

· Registered
47 Posts
Here's the deal. If they do bring over the real EVO VII, it will be hot as Shiz-nit. People wil be trying to get as much of the (most-likely) limited production models in the first year. So, Mitsu can have a nice mark-up, especially since it will be the first year the car is available and they are already cheap (under $30K for a car this fast is cheap).

If full powered, I would expect avaialability fo this car to be on par with the M3. Plus, it can hand the M3 it's own a$$.

· Registered
372 Posts
Ain't no way the EVO VII is goin' to run on 93 octane 'cauze we only have 91 (at least in California) or 92 octane gas!
I guess Cali is the exception. I can get 100 octance at the gas station a mile from my house. It's expensive as hell though....Like 5 dollars a gallon.

I asked the guy we he had it, and he said he sells is all the time. It was mostly just some older guys in beefed up domestics that required a taste of 100 octane. Then in the summer a few trailer queen drag cars come in and get some before going to the track. He says here lately that he's had a few Imports come through.... He recalls a few Integra's and a Turbo Si Civic.

· Registered
917 Posts
V6 i VTEC said:

I guess Cali is the exception. I can get 100 octance at the gas station a mile from my house. It's expensive as hell though....Like 5 dollars a gallon.

I asked the guy we he had it, and he said he sells is all the time. It was mostly just some older guys in beefed up domestics that required a taste of 100 octane. Then in the summer a few trailer queen drag cars come in and get some before going to the track. He says here lately that he's had a few Imports come through.... He recalls a few Integra's and a Turbo Si Civic.
I don't think the 100 octane gas is legal to use on the road! It's sold @ the track for race car but definitely not for street car 'cauze we don't need them! Car makers only make car to satisfy the general market so the EVO VII will not run any higher than 91 or 92 octane gas!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.