Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I had my car, I've been taking it to shops to get oil changes. Now that I have my side skirts molded in, I don't want to risk breaking or cracking it when they put my car on a lift. So, I decided to change the oil myself from now on. I was just wondering what kind of oil do you recommend and how much should I buy. Also, what is the best thing to use when taking the oil filter out? I have 80,000 miles on my car, and just the regular upgrades i/h/e if that helps. Oh yeah, my car is a 1996 accord lx coupe. Thanx for your help!!!!!!! Is there anything else I should replace for tune-ups ( spark plugs, distributor cap, etc.. ?)

·
Registered
550 Posts
my 99 4 cyl takes about 4.5 quarts.. no sure about the 96.

as for removing the filter, they sell those filter removing wrenches.. they dont' always work very well, sometimes you just have to wrestle with the filter to get it off..

i just use 5w-30.. i think thats what the manual reccomends..

·
Registered
568 Posts
Your accord is a 2.2L right? it should take about 4.4 qt. since you have a high miles on your car you should think about switching to a syntiic oil like a 10w30. I would not recaman a 5w 30 because it mosly for newer car with low mile! I would go with a 10w 30 a little thicker for protection on car with hight mile. As for the filter I change my own oil and filter so I tighten it with a bear hand and take it off with my bare hand.I use a rubber glove for extra grip when i loseing it. also if you are doing a tune up i would also flush the entire coolent system , transmission and brake!.also check spark plug wire, dis cap :megar:

·
Registered
500 Posts
15w50 Mobil 1 synthetic

i hate the damn 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic thats in my car now

·
Registered
108 Posts
for your situation, 4.5 qts of mobil 1 synthetic blend 15w50. get them cheap by the boxes at a wholesaler (local walmart is fine).

·
Registered
500 Posts
no one said:
for your situation, 4.5 qts of mobil 1 synthetic blend 15w50. get them cheap by the boxes at a wholesaler (local walmart is fine).
he doesnt need 15w50. just use 5w30. i have a turbo so i run 15w50. you dont even need synthetic unless youre running some sort of forced induction. just go buy the regular 5w30 or 10w40 for like $2.50/qt. and please change the filter too. theyre another $3. go buy a 3 pack for $7

·
Registered
231 Posts
u only need 4 qts...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
15w-30 isnt that kinda high?? i know 10w-40 is good enough for the car. upgrade to 10w-40

you said u wanted to knwo hwo to take out the filter?? basically just do it by hand..usually ur strong enough...yet when you put it on dont do it too tight..just snug cause its going to tighten.

your engine should be around a 2.2l. my 2.2l f22a4 takes 3.5 quarts i think. when your draining it make sure you get all the older stuff out by blowing in the head...hehe my idea to get more out. if ur not really sure about how much oil...do like 3 quarts then start and check level..then add more if necessary.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx, a lot for all the advices! Looks like I will be buying 10w40 and changing my oil tomorrow!!!! I'm kinda looking forward to it :)... Thanx again!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
no prob

·
Registered
500 Posts
17mm wrench just for your information to take the drain plug out. for the filter just take it off by hand. it shouldnt be on there too tight. good luck man. i'm doin the same thing tomorrow too

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i did it!!

Sup guys... Just thought I'd let you know that I changed my oil for the first time! It took me longer than I expected but this was my first time. Next time will be much faster!! It's not that bad changing oil. Kinda gives me a peace of mind knowing that it's done right. Also, cleaned the my air filter while I was at it. Oh yeah, fix my front body kit, and put a grill on the bumper as well. Damn, today was a productive day. I'll post pics when after I get my car painted. Sorry so long.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
its all good...glad to help

·
Registered
34 Posts
so what do u guys use to lift up your car? just a jack? is there any other new device they came out with that is sure not to fail and cause the car to drop on you?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i use a regular 2 ton jack with some jack stands...in that case if the jack fails, the stands will hold.

i put the car up at least 1 inch off the ground, tires.

and basically i do my thing

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to Wal-mart and bought about $50 worth of shiet to start out. I dind't have the tools to change oil ( oil pan, jack, oil, filter, etc also bought misc. stuff) I used this $16 jack that I bought from Wal-Mart to raise my car, just give me enough space to slide underneath. The jack I bought is supposed to handle 4,000 lbs, but the size of the jack made me feel a little insecure. At first, I didn't want to get underneath cuz I was fearful that the jack would give out, so I waited awhile and finally had the balls to just slide underneath. ( I recommend you buy jackstands (which I'm going to do) just to have a peace of mind) Then took off the nut, drained the oil, and I had to wrestle with my oil filter for about 10 mins. cuz that shit was on tight! Replaced everything and put 10w40 synthetic oil and I was straight :) Car running nice and smooth now :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts