Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Prelude has 41000 miles on it. It's less than two years old. Friday night, for the second time, it has run completely out of oil. I am vigilant about my maintenance and want to keep my car running for a long time. I first encountered this problem when the car had 4000 miles on it. That time, Honda ran an "oil consumption test" and told me that the engine was operating within normal limits. They said it was probably due to the fact that the engine was new and was still being broken in. Well, 36,000 miles later, it has happened again. I'm sure they will run the same "oil consumption test" and tell me that the car is operating within normal limits.

Has anyone had a similar problem and had it successfully diagnosed? Maybe even sucessfully fixed? Burning 5 quarts of oil is not normal and something seems very wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

VaTECh

· Registered
3,921 Posts
Dude... that's not normal at all... Quick question... are you changing your oil? From your post it seems like you didn't even check your oil for like... +30,000 miles and the suddenly it was all gone. So if you're not checking/changing your oil every 3,000 miles... start there.

Second, All VTEC engines should consume NO MORE THAN 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles. That is straight from Honda.

If all of the oil is burning out of your engine then you need to have your car looked at... maybe by somebody besides Honda... I never go to the Honda Dealerships in my area because they do shitty work. Personally I stick to the ACURA dealerships, because they seem to know what they are doing.

Just my $0.02

~Peace :rolleyes:

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to further clarify, I change my oil usually every 3000 miles, sometimes every 6,000 depending upon my driving habits. I didn't wait 30,000+ miles to change my oil. I have had all the preventative maintenance done as well up to this point.

-VaTECh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.