Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so saturday i changing my oil and go to put the plug back in the oil pan and guess what!!! the oil pan is stripped and the plug just keeps turning and turning and now leaks oil. So I called autozone and they tell me that they have an "extension plug" which can be used to cure this problem. So she tells me its $6, so I drive 30mins get there tell the guy what I need and he tells me they don't sell them!!!! Do these "extension plugs" even exist for use with oil pans? He told me to try napa. Just figured Id get some suggestion from other people...thanx

· Registered
452 Posts
IF you can remove the pan you can probably have it "helicoiled" or tapped for a larger plug. Otherwise, you are looking at a new pan.

· Registered
445 Posts
i say just get a new oil pan because sealing it up wouldn't really solve the problem because it will probably leak again later. i would play it safe and purchase a one from the junk yard or get an aftermarket one while your @ it. don't try repairing and it and re-tap it. simply not wort it.

· Registered
20 Posts
you will have to remove the oil pan should you plan to tap out the hole. you will get metal shreddings, etc inside should you not remove it to clean it out after the tap. i suggest you do the work yourself and save the cash to pay someone else to do it though, remember, you'll have to change the pan's gasket too. i'd probably just get a used oil pan from a junkyard though. it'll save a lot of effort after trying to get the "custom" drain plug everytime you change your oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.