Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've got some what of a problem on my hands. It doesn't really deal with my Civic, but I figure I would post it in the tech portion of the site anyway. Well what's going on is that I went to change the oil for my dad's van, because I haven't changed it in like 6 months. Neither him or I have touched the oil in 6 months, but he has taken it to a shop to get a fuel problem fixed. Well back to the problem, I go and check the oil, it's still like brown, not too dirty, and get this, still up to the max line. He doesn't add oil to it, because there's no reason to. I figure it's been changed lately because of the oil level and the freshness of the oil. I'm just going to change it anyway because it hasn't been done by me in a while, and plus I had nothing to do. Well I go down there, and the oil drain plug/bolt is fucking stripped! I put the socket on there, and it just spins freely. I feel it and its basically a circle..smooth edges and everything. So now I have no idea how to get it out. I'm thinking about just going ahead and taking the filter off first, let it drain whatever comes out, and then pulling the oil pan all together. Unless anybody else has a suggestion of what would work, thats my only option. Spending more than 20 bucks (ie taking it to a shop) is not an option, I had the shops around here. Sorry long post guys, I hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
well i believe there are small versions of the torque wrap wrenches or somthing like that, i saw em in an infomercial late night and at canadian tire here where i live...

it looks like an oil filter tightener but just a really small version of it, made to remove stripped bolts

sorry for the vaugeness, its 2 am, and i've had a really really long tireing day

i say, go to a part store (eg: here in canada: partsource)

they would probably know better then me anyways, im just a newbie hobbyist still in the process of learning everything.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If the drain bolt is stripped, wouldn't it leak?

well, the only way i can think of properly fixing (right now) is to take off pan, drill out stripped bolt, weld shut, then tap a new drain bolt hole. but, that will take some time. you will need a new drain pan gasket.

·
Registered
90 Posts
the bolt would not cause it to leak, remember, there a washer between the bolt head and oil pan, well, atleast there should be

·
Registered
90 Posts
true, maybe he went ghetto style and put paper towels around the bolt and hammered it in
lol...jk

·
Registered
485 Posts
i think he was saying the top of the bolt is stripped and the ratchet spins freely around it... thats just what im thinking... the best bet would be to take it off, drill it out and get another one for in it... im sure there are some tools that can remove a stripped bolt... i would check into that first before you go drilling thru stuff...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blue2kSi said:
i think he was saying the top of the bolt is stripped and the ratchet spins freely around it... thats just what im thinking... the best bet would be to take it off, drill it out and get another one for in it... im sure there are some tools that can remove a stripped bolt... i would check into that first before you go drilling thru stuff...
Wow, looks like somebody READ AND UNDERSTOOD the whole post. Just kidding guys. Yeah it's the top of the bolt that's stripped. I think I'm going to drop the oil and and everything then just drill it out. I don't want to drill it out while it's on there because I don't want all the oil to come gushing out while I'm working on it, unless I do happen to find a way that will work to remove the stripped bolt.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well looks like I'm just gonna take off the oil pan and then try to get the bolt off. Anything I should know about removing as much oil as I can before taking the pan off? I was thinking of draining the filter first, but then I didn't know how much that would drain out. Anybody have anything on this?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
u got any vise grips? clamp one of those on the bolt real tight and work it loose with that.

that would be my best bet if u don't want to drop the pan, drill out...etc...

i would just clamp the hell out of it so it don't slip on the bolt and just work it free like that. ive gotten alot of stripped bolts free like that....atleast the ones that can get the grip on.

laters

·
Registered
90 Posts
include a thin strip of rubber in the vice grips for a really good hold that wont slip....

and bada bing

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
jai si said:
Alright so tomorrow I gotta buy a vise clamp, and look for some...rubber. hehe. I hope it works, and I really REALLY wanna keep dropping the pan as a last resort. Any other suggestions?
nope.. that's pretty much the only option. you might want to see if u have a pipe laying around that will fit over the vise grips that'll give u some added leverage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.