Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 H22 motor , do u think using 15W50 mobile one synth oil is a good idea?? I tried 10W30 and I think it's too thin, but not sure. what do u guys recommand me to use, thanks a lot. also, in canada here, y the heck I can find 10W40 synth oil except the expensive REDLINE. NO~~~~~~~~

:(

· Registered
12,727 Posts
I use 5w30

5 is less viscous at a colder temp protecting the engine better when starting it......especially in a cold temp like 0 or below.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
It all depends where u live,I live in florida so I just go with 5w30 yearround,and I heard that if your oil comes out black when u do an oil change,it means the additives are working,dont know if this is true or not,but since your living in canada,try 15w30 if u dont like 10w30

· Registered
12,727 Posts
97accordsir said:
unfortunely, I can't find any 15W30 grade here in Canada, or maybe it's mine, anyone from canada has suggestions???
too bad 5W30 is the same weight at running temp...and running a 15W would be a VERY VERY bad idea when its cold out, or warm for that matter.

in fact there is NO REASON to run a higher weight than 5w as the beginning as you want the oil to be as thin as possible at start up so it cirulates the engine as fast as possible...when the engine warms up its 30 weight....wether its 10w30 or 15w30 at running temp it has the same viscousity.

· Registered
207 Posts
i tend to disagree totally

lOOkatme said:
too bad 5W30 is the same weight at running temp...and running a 15W would be a VERY VERY bad idea when its cold out, or warm for that matter.

in fact there is NO REASON to run a higher weight than 5w as the beginning as you want the oil to be as thin as possible at start up so it cirulates the engine as fast as possible...when the engine warms up its 30 weight....wether its 10w30 or 15w30 at running temp it has the same viscousity.
The choice of oil varies depending on the climate you live in. If you look at the handbook you get with the car honda does not say only use 5w-30.

They list about 4 or 5 oils that can be used.

Choose an oil that suits the climate where the car is driven.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dude, I don't have the car manual cuz mine is just a swap. and I don't have a lot of knowledge of H22a. So what will harm if I am using really heavy oil. is 15W50 really heavy??? I don't really think it is. cuz some of my friend using 20W50 in their type R. and lot's of ppl said using a bit thick oil in older engine is better to prevent the wear. isn't it??

:fire1:

· Registered
542 Posts
97accordsir said:
dude, I don't have the car manual cuz mine is just a swap. and I don't have a lot of knowledge of H22a. So what will harm if I am using really heavy oil. is 15W50 really heavy??? I don't really think it is. cuz some of my friend using 20W50 in their type R. and lot's of ppl said using a bit thick oil in older engine is better to prevent the wear. isn't it??

:fire1:

Those weights (50w and above) of oil are generally usd as racing oils, because of the sustained and constant high temps seen in those engines.

If you use too thick an oil, then you may not get it to flow properly (at least untill its warmed up, like in a race engine, think stock cars) to areas that need to be lubricated, and then those parts will degrade faster.

I'd say for all around, 5w-30 would be your best bet, and maybe 5w40 if you run it in high temps for extended time periods. It does get cold there? So a 5w will be good.

And about the oil going dark really fast: it is normal for oil to turn dark within the first thousand miles. This are just the detergents in the oil cleaning the engine deposits. Color of oil is by no means a reliable or good way of determining if the oil is still good. If you are really worried, get an oil analysis done. Oil will last you at least 3,000 miles under normal driving, less with constant hard driing or racing. If you race (roadcourse), you should change it after each race anyway.

Also, im sure you know this, get a quality filter, do not go with fram or oem honda. Get a bosch or mobil 1 or purolator. Anything but a fram. BDC can contest to this.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

http://www.dorianyeager.com/oilfilterstudy1.html

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/336510.phtml

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.