Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1996 EX sedan with the 4cyl.

I'm saving up over the summer so I can purchase a new Civic before college resumes in the fall, but I bought this to get me through till then. It seems to run perfectly fine, but I was going to do some routine things to it that the previous owner probably neglected. I bought oil and a filter, a fuel filter and some new plugs.

When I pulled the boots to start changing the plugs, there is oil all over 3 of the 4 boots. I simply put them back and didn't change the plugs today, wanted to get some advice before i touch it.

What might cause this? The car has about 150,000 miles, or 300,000KM. So she's been around the block, but seems to run perfectly fine.

I have never seen this in a car before, any ideas?

· Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Picked up a 1996 EX sedan with the 4cyl.

I'm saving up over the summer so I can purchase a new Civic before college resumes in the fall, but I bought this to get me through till then. It seems to run perfectly fine, but I was going to do some routine things to it that the previous owner probably neglected. I bought oil and a filter, a fuel filter and some new plugs.

When I pulled the boots to start changing the plugs, there is oil all over 3 of the 4 boots. I simply put them back and didn't change the plugs today, wanted to get some advice before i touch it.

What might cause this? The car has about 150,000 miles, or 300,000KM. So she's been around the block, but seems to run perfectly fine.

I have never seen this in a car before, any ideas?

you gotta replace the o-ring valve cover gaskets around the spark plugs.

· Registered
17,589 Posts
its a pretty easy job. just go to the local parts store and get a valve cover gasket (make sure it has 4 little donuts in it, thats whats leaking on your car) and its just a few nuts that hold your valve cover on. it shouldnt take more than half an hour.

· Registered
20,101 Posts
i reccomend going dealer parts for this, they are pretty reasonable on the gasket and it will fit

i got one from autozone once and it was to big, it popped out when i tighten down the valve cover because it was to big and leaked oil like a bitch

· Registered
10,346 Posts
its easy, but the more important thing is when you put your VC back on, you snug the nuts by hand , then do max of 1/2 tunr past to keep em tight. Too tight, they easiliy break and/or leak.

autozone, ask for felpro, best/cheapest besides OEM, but I highly recommend OEM for all gaskets.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank guys, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I think I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and see about getting a set.

Thanks for the tips guys, I really like having a Honda. Pretty sure this 96 runs better than my 2005 Impala :lmao

· Registered
3,077 Posts
All you need is that valve cover kit which you dont need to go to the dealer for unless you want to pay more for the same parts you can get at an automotive stove such as autozone. Its really easy to do, just be careful and if you need to scrape left over gasket away use a plastic scraper not metal or a razor.

Aside from the gasket/kit you will need some RTV sealant for the corners where the gasket usually has a problem sealing. Theres a lot of how-to's on the internet and theres links to shop manuals. Make sure all mating surfaces where the gasket sits are cleaned. Acetone and an old rag will work wonders. Try not to get any debris into the engine.

· Registered
4 Posts
If just the bottom of your sparkplug boot is soaked in oil, it's not the circle seals on the bottom of the valve cover, but the seals that are under the rocker arm shaft are what is causing the problem.

If the entire spark plug boot is wet and shows evidence of having oil on it, then it's just the top seals.

When you buy the Fel-Pro kit, it comes with a valve cover gasket, 4 spark plug hole seals for the underside of the valve cover, and 4 more seals that go under the rocker arm mounting points. It really is easy to replace the bottom seals, but you can't overtorque the rocker arm bolts. When reassembling, you start in the middle of the rocker arm assembly and work your way out, alternating front/backside bolts. If I remember correctly, they only get torqued to around 16 lb/ft. You shouldn't have to readjust your valves afterward, either.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.