Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is using a time-tested but unusual repair method to fix an engine oil leak in its flagship GT sports car. It is telling dealership mechanics to install a "Speedi-Sleeve" to stop oil from leaking from the crankshaft rear seal. It is one of several fixes being prescribed for the GT when the car goes into the shop for a major suspension recall.

The sleeves have been used for decades, largely on older, high-mileage cars or those undergoing an overhaul. It's extremely unusual for them to be used by a manufacturer on a new car, sources say.

"They work, but, gosh, it shouldn't happen," one Ford dealer says. "It's highly unusual. If I were the owner of a $150,000 race car, I wouldn't be happy about it."

The engine oil leak, which is caused by an improper finish on the crankshaft, isn't a problem in all cars, Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley says. The crankshaft finish has been fixed for cars in production.

For vehicles with the problem, the Speedi-Sleeve will close any gaps that might allow engine oil to leak. The device is a metal band that fits over the end of the crankshaft, increasing its diameter and making a tighter fit against the seal. The Speedi-Sleeve itself is a low-cost part but requires several hours of labor to install.

Until the GT, the sleeves hadn't been used by Ford, at least in recent years, Kinley says. She says it's uncommon because Ford hasn't experienced this type of leak during that period.

While all GTs will get new suspension control arms, not all of the cars are expected to need the other repairs. In addition to two recalls, Ford has issued nine technical service bulletins and one special service message on the GT. Problems range from the leaking crankshaft seal and blemishes on seat belt webbing to a rattle in the upper steering column and leaking power steering fluid.

"All of our customers are important, but (with) this one, we're really giving them the white-glove treatment," Kinley says. "We had an issue with the control arm. We don't want to take the chance we're going to have an issue with anything else."

Ford recalled the vehicle Dec. 16, ordering owners not to drive it after a crack was discovered in a test vehicle's control arm. A recall for a fuel tank vapor leak that affected about 45 cars was issued at the same time.

Ford assembled 448 cars before the recall; 111 were in owners' possession. Thirty-five cars have been repaired. Ford resumed limited GT assembly the week of Feb. 7. Ford aims to complete the suspension recall during the next few weeks. Eight control arms in each car are being swapped out from a cast part to a forged part.

The other service advisories are expected to affect a much smaller number of cars.

:lol
nice. a good old $150,000 of Ford quality at its best.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
At least they are being proactive about fixing everything instead of waiting till people start complaining.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Not good at all :noo. Especially since this car is supposed to be an image booster, halo car, etc.... for the Ford brand as a whole.

But it's nice of them to own up to it and issue fixes for the problems before they even show up on customer cars.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5.0 said:
But it's nice of them to own up to it and issue fixes for the problems before they even show up on customer cars.
i would rather have a mean manufacturer that build it right the first time than a nice manufacturer that has to fix stuff constantly.

even if Ford tried to stiff people and not fix this problem, how many of the people that bought this $150,000 car can afford a lawyer? so they have to be nice.

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Does it affect the one in GT4 too, I might have to trade mine in.

:D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
UnseenShadow said:
ANOTHER ONE!!!???? OMFG
yea...another one from FORD...
paying $150k to buy troubles...

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:
i would rather have a mean manufacturer that build it right the first time than a nice manufacturer that has to fix stuff constantly.
True, but that's the reality of the business. In a perfect car, there would be zero problems...EVER. But problems happen, especially in the first model year when all the bugs and such show up unplanned. Honda with the 7 or so recalls on the 2002 or so civic prove just this...that even a careful and EXCELLENT automaker known for quality and reliability isn't immune to this. So shit does happen, and when that happens, i would much rather the company own upto it and recall it right away without incident rather than come up with some lame excuse like blaming fires on techs/dealerships rather than a problem with the overall design.

So while i would much rather not have problems with my cars period, if a problem does arise, i want it fixed ASAP and without incident. I don't want to wait till my suspension arm cracks while i'm crusing at 140mph in my GT, or till my car catches on fire, or till my engine blows up like all the M3's, or till my tire treads give away, or till my auto tranny decides to downshift to 1st or 2nd gear on its own in the middle of the highway while i'm going 70. I would much rather not have the automarker make me wait for that.

So obviously, it is best to smooth out everything before launch, but that isn't always the case. Hence why some people always refuse to buy the first model year batch, because the general consensous is that the first year of cars usually show up with problems not seen before in pre-production tests.

divinewisdom said:
even if Ford tried to stiff people and not fix this problem, how many of the people that bought this $150,000 car can afford a lawyer? so they have to be nice.
You don't have to have big $$$$ to sue an automaker. I don't think the Firestone people, etc... where high-rollers, just average joes and janes. Any greedy lawyer would do that for your succesfully. We live in sue-happy America where anyone can sue just about anyone else for just about anything and WIN....sadly.

If anything, these owners would probably not even notice. They probably drive their cars like 1,000 miles a year or less. That suspension arm cracking....it probably wouldn't show up in a production car for 6+ years...who knows it may never even show up on most cars. It hasn't shown up on any of the production cars to date. But going back to that whole money thing, you think Ferrari has EVER gone out of their way to voluntarily recall any of their vehicles?? They pretty much wait till the shit hits the fan, and they're forced by the government before even issuing one. And they have the richest cliental of any automaker period.

Anways, 150k car, 1 million dollar car, or 10k car...it's all the same. Any single one of them could have problems at any time, especially the first production batches. I'm not gonna expect a 150k supercar that's being built from the ground up for the first time EVER and whos complex production methods are ALL-NEW to a company to not have ANY problems in its first year of production. That's asking for too much.

Ford doesn't have the best track record for recalls and everyone and their mother (and their grandmothers) knows that, but lets not over-sensationalize every single recall that they do have and expect every one of their cars to have ZERO problems or bugs in their first year of production people:p. They've got long ways to go before reaching there ;).

·
Registered
201 Posts
5.0 said:
True, but that's the reality of the business. In a perfect car, there would be zero problems...EVER. But problems happen, especially in the first model year when all the bugs and such show up unplanned. Honda with the 7 or so recalls on the 2002 or so civic prove just this...that even a careful and EXCELLENT automaker known for quality and reliability isn't immune to this. So shit does happen, and when that happens, i would much rather the company own upto it and recall it right away without incident rather than come up with some lame excuse like blaming fires on techs/dealerships rather than a problem with the overall design.
But, the Civic isn't a $150k exotic "Flagship" which is supposed to redefine your company. Anyone who plunks down $150k for a limited run car, expects the thing to have NO issues upon delivery, whether it be the first model year or not, period! Good job Ford!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
FujiFast said:
But, the Civic isn't a $150k exotic "Flagship" which is supposed to redefine your company. Anyone who plunks down $150k for a limited run car, expects the thing to have NO issues upon delivery, whether it be the first model year or not, period! Good job Ford!

What does price have to do with it? The car costs $150k because of the limited production and exotic parts and design. Ferrari's are notorious for having problems and they cost well over $150k. If I owned a GT I wouldnt be mad at all. The problem would be fixed and I would still have a car that would beat most everything on the street.

·
Registered
201 Posts
spray004 said:
What does price have to do with it? The car costs $150k because of the limited production and exotic parts and design. Ferrari's are notorious for having problems and they cost well over $150k. If I owned a GT I wouldnt be mad at all. The problem would be fixed and I would still have a car that would beat most everything on the street.
Price does factor in this, it implies a certain level of quality and excellence that's put into building your car, not saying that a cheap Civic or something doesn't have quality and such. But, if someone's paying a hefty sum of cash for a "Limited" car, then they should be getting something above and beyond the average car. Sure, Ferrari's have issues, but wouldn't you think if they were to put out a "Flagship" that it would be perfect upon delivery?

No offence, but if I invested in a Ford GT, Ferrari, Lambo, Carrera GT, or any high-end exotic, I would be furious if it had these stupid issues right off the lot. Attention to detail is what sets the true exotics from the wannabes.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
FujiFast said:
Price does factor in this, it implies a certain level of quality and excellence that's put into building your car, not saying that a cheap Civic or something doesn't have quality and such. But, if someone's paying a hefty sum of cash for a "Limited" car, then they should be getting something above and beyond the average car. Sure, Ferrari's have issues, but wouldn't you think if they were to put out a "Flagship" that it would be perfect upon delivery?

No offence, but if I invested in a Ford GT, Ferrari, Lambo, Carrera GT, or any high-end exotic, I would be furious if it had these stupid issues right off the lot. Attention to detail is what sets the true exotics from the wannabes.
You do realize that a 15k civic is a hell of lot less problematic than a 700k Enzo?

Attention to detail on an exotic car equals hand built, exclusivity, exotic parts, and that's about it. It doesn't guarantee you quality (sit in a 200+k dollar Diablo and compare fit and finish to a 20k Camry), nor does it guarantee you a "perfect" problem-free car. They are anything but problem-free.

Funny thing is, i remember reading a Ferrari board a while back when the GT was initially recalled for the suspension arm, and the majority of the owners who posted on that topic where wishing Ferrari would handle potential problems like that before they turn into an issue down the line. Guess you have to be a real owner of an exotic car to really appreciate how Ford's handling this matter i guess. Anyways, they've found a potential problem early on in the production run, and are addressing it properly and promptly, i'll atleast give them kudos for that:).

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5.0 said:
You do realize that a 15k civic is a hell of lot less problematic than a 700k Enzo?

Attention to detail on an exotic car equals hand built, exclusivity, exotic parts, and that's about it. It doesn't guarantee you quality (sit in a 200+k dollar Diablo and compare fit and finish to a 20k Camry), nor does it guarantee you a "perfect" problem-free car. They are anything but problem-free.

Funny thing is, i remember reading a Ferrari board a while back when the GT was initially recalled for the suspension arm, and the majority of the owners who posted on that topic where wishing Ferrari would handle potential problems like that before they turn into an issue down the line. Guess you have to be a real owner of an exotic car to really appreciate how Ford's handling this matter i guess. Anyways, they've found a potential problem early on in the production run, and are addressing it properly and promptly, i'll atleast give them kudos for that:).
yea but you still have to drive your GT to a Ford dealership to get it fixed.
i love it when they give a focus as a loaner car for my GT.
:hehe

this ford engine isnt even handbuilt. isnt it a truck engine with a SC attached to it?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
FujiFast said:
yep limited production car should have a better production quality. coz less = easy to control while civic a car that is mass produce every 10,000 cars made i bet they have one or two defects.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
divinewisdom said:

this ford engine isnt even handbuilt. isnt it a truck engine with a SC attached to it?

The 4.6L,5.4L & 6.8L?? V10 are all from the same family of engines. The 5.4L in the GT is not the truck engine. Same dimensions (bore, stroke,etc), but the majority of the parts, crank, pistons, etc... are different materials.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:

I'd be nervous about that too, but i'm sure they'll have specially-trained techs to handle servicing. I'd hope that the loaner car would be atleast a Lincoln LS, Navigator, or Jag. A focus would be a slap in the face, really. I'd hope Ford has thought about that and would offer a more upscale vehicle as a loaner.

About the engine, it is hand-built (even the 4.6 Dohc engine in $35k Cobra is hand-built). The GT's engine shares next to nothing with the truck engine. I believe the only carryover is the forged crankshaft from the Navigator.

I've seen the motor for sale as a crate-engine. $40,000 dollars for the motor alone:wow. This is definitly not the same engine off the F-150 with a simple blower attached to it. By comparison, a 5.4L Supercharger Lightning engine sells for $5,000...about $35,000 dollars less than the GT's engine. So the engines are drastically different.

Good 5 page readup on the GT's engine on Hotrod.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0311_gt/index.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts