Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.. my car (02 Accord EX) just hit 7k (3 months) I believe the manual states to wait til 7500 or 10k for the first oil change.

1- it wont hurt to change my oil now right?
2- 5w-30 sound good? :]
3- i dont drive my car real hard, so normal oil is cool right? I don't need to shell out $$ for syn?
4- do i need to change the oil filter too? or can that chill for a once-a-year changing?

thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes now is a good time to change the oil. 3000-3500 should be your change interval....honda says 7k but that is too much. 5w 30 is ok but 10w 30 will work too. regular oil is fine too...you dont need synthetic so dont spend the extra $$$...and yes you need to change your filter too, every oil change.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yeah its cool to get your oil changed now. But get it changed at a Honda dealership though. They do a much better job and use better quality oil, unlike those cheap A$$ Jiffy lubes or those 10 minute jobbers. Just my 2 cents. Plus it will show up on your records later on if you try to sell the car. Looks better on your stand point. :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
91accord91 said:
But get it changed at a Honda dealership though. They do a much better job and use better quality oil, unlike those cheap A$$ Jiffy lubes or those 10 minute jobbers.
just do it yourself and save yourself some money. and they don't use better quality oil. any oil they use, you can buy at an autoparts store.

·
Registered
250 Posts
pringle said:

4- do i need to change the oil filter too? or can that chill for a once-a-year changing?
WHOA!, did you say once-a-year?!
Dude please do your self a HUGE favor and change it EVERY oil change, you should change the filter on every car every time, no matter what the recommendations are you can never change your oil and filter too much. Not making fun, just a point.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Chaning oils?

Hey, this is an oil question too, so i didn't see a reason to start a whole new thread.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to change from organic to synthetic oil? Or is it just a normal oil change?

Also, I've got a 94 accord vtec. What are the opinions on the best oil to use if I'm gonna drive it pretty hard (which I do)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts