Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
i envy you. on my hks timer i have to leave the key on the 'run' position, i cant take the keys all the way out :( ..and the parking brake has to be on.
so i use it as long as i feel like staying in the car while it cools, or leave my keys in while i go somewhere else, which i only do that when im in my driveway or somewhere secure.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ksniperfox said:
i envy you. on my hks timer i have to leave the key on the 'run' position, i cant take the keys all the way out :( ..and the parking brake has to be on.
so i use it as long as i feel like staying in the car while it cools, or leave my keys in while i go somewhere else, which i only do that when im in my driveway or somewhere secure.

sounds like someone has the wires hooked up wrong....

Whats the point of a turbo timer if you gotta stay in the car?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Kabooki said:

thats what i thought, but according to the instructions its working the way it is intended to. it turns off after the appropriate time setting and all, just has to have the key on run.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Kabooki said:

thats what i was thinking....what a waste of money......you must have hooked it up wrong...and actually...im sure you didnt hook it up because you wouldnt have wired it to your e-brake (and if you did, just pull it off and make a normally closed circuit and the timer will always think the brake is on)

i use my car alarm for my turbo timer...if i hit the remote start while the car is running it will just remain running, and i can puill the key out and hit the kill when i get in my house

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
ksniperfox said:
thats what i thought, but according to the instructions its working the way it is intended to. it turns off after the appropriate time setting and all, just has to have the key on run.

if the key is on run why would it ever shut down?

idk about that...take it back to who ever put it in

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
soul 93 said:
if the key is on run why would it ever shut down?

idk about that...take it back to who ever put it in
i put it in chief.

ok its in park, ebrake on, engine idling. i turn the key back like im goin to turn it off. not all the way back, but to that one where just the radio would be on. the car will continue to run, then when countdown is done it turns off. if i take ebrake off while the countdown is going, the countdown will stop and car shuts off automatically.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
ksniperfox said:
i put it in chief.

ok its in park, ebrake on, engine idling. i turn the key back like im goin to turn it off. not all the way back, but to that one where just the radio would be on. the car will continue to run, then when countdown is done it turns off. if i take ebrake off while the countdown is going, the countdown will stop and car shuts off automatically.

you probably wired it up wrong

oil cooling down isnt an exact science where it has to be 1 min exactly or whatever you set it to....so its a waste if you have to stay in the car, just to have your cooldown timed correctly......you should check your wiring

·
Registered
365 Posts
your timer is wired wrong or its a pos, my viper 791 alarm has one built in hit the aux and start button on it and take keys out, my car will stay running for 1 min and shut off automoatically, they sell them at bestbuy, like 500, for a bad ass alarm and turbo timer, how much did your timer cost you(non working turbo timer) too bad i dont have a turbo :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
how long should it be b4 shutting it off, i usually just sit in car for 30 seconds, put on some security stuff like the club, autoloc, etc...closing windows and then shut off car which is about 30 seconds. Is 30 seconds good enough for it to cool down? Also, dont u guys have kill switches which will make u wait in car???

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
BOYURLAZY said:
how long should it be b4 shutting it off, i usually just sit in car for 30 seconds, put on some security stuff like the club, autoloc, etc...closing windows and then shut off car which is about 30 seconds. Is 30 seconds good enough for it to cool down? Also, dont u guys have kill switches which will make u wait in car???
depends. the timer creates a set time based on rpm level, times how long you stay in which rpm. basically how long and how hard you drive your car. if you go to the store, get groceries and come home without making a lot of boost or go over3-4k then it wouldnt hurt for like 10 seconds, or even zero time before you go away. it doesnt hurt to drive soft and wait 30, it hurts to race the piss out of it and ONLY wait 30.

the harder/longer you drive your car causes the oil and the oil in your turbo to heat up. if you just turn the car off, all that hot oil in your turbo will damage the internals of it overtime. not sure on the specifics, but i know its called 'coking' and the shit builds up. the idea is to let cooler oil circulate into it before you shut it off.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
ksniperfox said:
depends. the timer creates a set time based on rpm level, times how long you stay in which rpm. basically how long and how hard you drive your car. if you go to the store, get groceries and come home without making a lot of boost or go over3-4k then it wouldnt hurt for like 10 seconds, or even zero time before you go away. it doesnt hurt to drive soft and wait 30, it hurts to race the piss out of it and ONLY wait 30.

the harder/longer you drive your car causes the oil and the oil in your turbo to heat up. if you just turn the car off, all that hot oil in your turbo will damage the internals of it overtime. not sure on the specifics, but i know its called 'coking' and the shit builds up. the idea is to let cooler oil circulate into it before you shut it off.

the oil coagulates (sp?) if it changes temperature too fast

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.