Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a guy that lives down the street from me, that has the same EX Civic as me. he wants to sell his car. with DOHC GSR engine. i don't need the car. so i asked him if he'd like to sell just the engine and i'll give him mine. my engine has 48k his 75k mils. he tells me "ill sell it for $1500 on top of giving me your engine" the engine is missing ecu programing? im not sure. i see him drive the car all the time runs great. my question is.... would the Type-R tranny work with engine? is this a good trade and buy? i've seen these engine go for $1500. i would like to hear some input...

·
Registered
103 Posts
im a little unsure of what you are asking...is he trying to sell you a type-r tranny and are you asking if it will bolt up to your d16y8 or what?

the type-r tranny will bolt right up to the gsr from his car but you need the shift linkage

the type-r tranny will NOT bolt up to your d16y8...

if he is trying to sell you just a type-r tranny for 1500 and you motor...its a no go but if its the gsr motor with a type-r tranny its probably worth it just make sure you inspect the tranny housing and find the "LSD" stamped on it, i dont remember where it is though. 1500 on top of your y8 motor isnt bad...considering that a y8 longblock sells for like 500 on ebay...if you do the swap make sure you get his shift linkage and ecu with the swap and chances are he needs your linkage and ecu unless he saved it from before he did the swap

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the engine im gonna buy. but if do i wanted to know if i bought the Type-R tranny would it bolt on. so all i would need is the shift linkage? is 75k good mileage on GSR engine? so you think $1500 is a good price? can i get that engine to pull 300+whp with mods?

·
Registered
103 Posts
yes the type-r tranny would bolt right up but from what i understand the type-r has a special shift linkage that you would want to get with it but im not entirely sure. 75,000 mi on a gsr isnt anything yet....you know the saying 200,000 on a honda is just getting it broken in....well 75000 isnt bad but is that the mileage of his car or the actual known mileage of the motor.

as for your 300whp its going to have to be make via forced induction. Its an awesome motor and a great starting point for a turbo build up but if you do plan on going turbo the type-r is not the tranny you want to use because the gears do not allow you to take full advantage of the boost...something you might want to consider before plopping down the $1k for the type-r tranny

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what's a good tranny? once i do the swap im gonna take it to a dyno place get a tune,CAI,Headers, and Exhaust. i'm eventually gonna put a turbo. i just want to know. will i have to change my cam and my heads or should i? to get it turbo ready. thank you for baring with me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
get a FI cam, low comp pistons, and some connecting rods if ur planning on running high boost, if ur planning on just running about 6 psi or so, then you probably wouldnt need to build up the motor... but if u got the money to do it all, then have at it :p

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
thats sounds like a great deal. with a type-r tranny you'll make a lot of power. but wait you want a type-r tranny with a gs-r top end?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.