Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I am new to the forum, I have owned accords and civics and now am looking for a crv with a baby on the way and all....
I like the 1st gens the best, but i have heard that they have a lot of transmission problems. Is this true? also, what should i be looking for when i check out CRVs? every car has it's issues, and it would be great if you guys can give some insight on the CRV! oh and did manual CRVs come with AWD?

·
Registered
432 Posts
With a baby on the way I'd stick to the newer CR-Vs. I love my 2010 EX-L and it has most all the bells and whistles. Unless you live up north (snow), you really don't need AWD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all.

I like the 1st gens the best, but i have heard that they have a lot of transmission problems. Is this true? also, what should i be looking for when i check out CRVs? every car has it's issues, and it would be great if you guys can give some insight on the CRV! oh and did manual CRVs come with AWD?
Gen1 CR-Vs don't have a LOT of tranny problems. Most are fixed with ATF replacement to the proper Honda type.
Occasionally the solenoid packs malfunction but those are external and can be DIYd.

What you REALLY need to be on the watch for is valve recession. Unless the valves were adjusted every 30K miles (as specified everywhere but North America) you could be in for some cylinder head work on a Gen1.

2000 - 2001 Vs have the most power and you can find AWD & manual trans vehicles.

Generation 2 Vs have more power yet and they offered manual trannies as well. 2002 - 2004 cars had the AC compressor problem, otherwise the Gen2 were VERY reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you cant go wrong with 5 spd awd b20 :number1 lol fun times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts