Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would sound better? same brand, series, etc. i want something that travels. i had 2 10" jL audios w3's before running off a 800w rockford fosgate amp and it didn't sound as strong as i thought it would.

i'm thinking about running that same amplifier but either with 1 12 or 2 10's jL audio W7. thank you people.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
2 10's have more cone area than 1 12 so it will be louder, but not a deep. 10's generally sound better. the down fall of the 2 10's is its close to twice the cost of just 1 12 and you will need a bigger enclosure.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Depends on what kinda of music you listen too. If you listen to hip hop/rap I would go with the 12. If you listen to trance/techno, rock type of music I would stay with the 10's. I tend to listen to trance more than anything and 2 10's always sounded better to me. I just felt that 12's didn't hit as hard as 10's. Maybe that is just me :rolleyes

·
Registered
7 Posts
hybrid90accord said:
1 12" in the right enclosure can out perform 2 10's any day.
what the fock are you smoking? 2 10's in the right enclosure can out perform 1 12 any day son. You don't know what the heck you are talking about. It's all about application and power. IF you can tell me what a transmission line box is, then maybe I might think about reading another post of yours.

·
Registered
255 Posts
First if space is a/an issue then 1 12" sub will be better, because 2 10's in anthing other then a small standard sealed box will be alot larger, and just because you have 2 drivers compared to 1 doesn't mean that the 2 drivers will be louder. That's like comparing 2 12" L7's to 1 18" SOLO X with 1000watts going to the L7's and 4000 watts going to the Solo X. Second what does be knowing about a tL box/folded horn/bandpass or any box have to do with anything? I persoanlly have always run a single sub set ups in all of my cars and build all my enclosures myself, because you can have great output and not have to give up to much as car as cargo room. I just think that 1 12" W7 in the right enclosure with 800 watts going to it will sound better the 2 10" w7 with 400 watts going to each.I'm not knocking the 10's I just think you can get equal if not better sound from 1 sub. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you got the money for a quality 12 and have some nice coax/comp speakers for your highs/mids, then go ahead with the 12. I personally listen to alot more techno and when you need to hear what the bass note is and not just a loud ass rumble, I think 2 10's are better. Nice and clean thats what I always say. You can get the same effect from 12's but plan on spending alot more money.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
hybrid90accord said:
First if space is a/an issue then 1 12" sub will be better, because 2 10's in anthing other then a small standard sealed box will be alot larger, and just because you have 2 drivers compared to 1 doesn't mean that the 2 drivers will be louder.
That's like comparing 2 12" L7's to 1 18" SOLO X with 1000watts going to the L7's and 4000 watts going to the Solo X. .
I already said the 10s will need a bigger box. You are correct that 2 10's wont be louder because there is more drivers, they will be louder because there is more cone area.
Actually it is nothing like comparing a 18" solox with 4000 watts to 2 L7s with 1000 watts. its the same amp, same power, same brand sub and even the same model. The size and amount of subs are the only differences in the original posters question.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What i mean about the whole solo X thing was that I some cases giving one sub alot more power then two subs will yeild that the 1 sub will give greater output then two. But either way you go you will get decent sound either way you go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 1 12" w7 in a SS box running off a 1000/1 and it's crazy loud. check out www.powered4sound.com I paid $250+ for the box and that shit gets loud and moves crazy air man, but still sounds good. My co-worker has 2 10"w7 in his BMW running off the same amp, and I kill him every time but he's thinking about getting another 1000/1 so I might be in trouble then. :mad

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm probably going w/ 1 12". need to economize for now. i can do 2 12's later on. ah.

need materials to build a box. where to start? & what type of enclosure would be best?

i was reading the other forums... what the hell are these 140 150 #'s. do they have a subwoofer bass scale now?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
allshownogo said:
i'm probably going w/ 1 12". need to economize for now. i can do 2 12's later on. ah.

need materials to build a box. where to start? & what type of enclosure would be best?

i was reading the other forums... what the hell are these 140 150 #'s. do they have a subwoofer bass scale now?
they decibels aka dB aka how much noise an object makes (in laymens terms, that's not the dictionary definition).

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i'm a fan of single subwoofer setup. For my purpose, i only need a single 10" at most, but i keep lots of subs to play around with :D

what does this mean? it all depends on your and what you want. the 2 10w7 should be more than loud enough, unless you need your ears to buzz.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
1 12 with the same input of power in a larger posrted box will be louder than 2 10's in a med. sized box.

Cone area is not everything,the ability to move the cone more is also a big factor plus box size,port tunning,and sub placement.

And for the guy that paid $250 for the snail shell,I hate to be the one to tell you this but you got ripped,that box is nothing out of the ordinary and can be matched in both output and sound quality for far less money

·
Registered
255 Posts
I mean a snail shell might sounds good but damn $250 for a box is crazy and those guys are so top secret about everything Like their boxes are so special . You can have louder and cleaner for alot cheaper. But that just me

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
hybrid90accord said:
98civic4door i though you have or had a snail shellbox?
I have seen them,heard them in installs,aand watched people take them apart to see what is on the inside.I would never pay that much for that box,I had CSU build me a box and the quality IMO is better than the SS it also gets way lower(meaning a bass hit in my car can be seen by my roof flexing,doors bowing,and rear deck wing flexing to the point of allmost breaking but you hear no bass)

What powerd4sound has done is gave the "wow" factor of a good built ported box to the masses and most are not used to hearing a box tuned for the sub and so forth.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=075096;p=1 here is a thread with P4S complaining like little bitchs all the way through it saying they are going to sue people :blahblah for ripping their boxes apart and telling others what is inside,keep in mind there is no patent on the design cause it is nothing more than a "trade secret" but all the info is out to gather to be able to build the box,P4S shut up quick when I called them out on the whole thing and dared them to sue me but the thread got locked and everyone got told to not bring it up again or we would get banned

1 - 16 of 16 Posts