Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/68/bullitt/bullitt.avi

its from 1968 in the movie Bullitt - but those are basically stock cars - the only stunt car is the black Charger that bring the whole chase to the end - and its funny - they had to slow up the Charger with really skinny tires to give the Mustang a chance to catch up - and this was all done in San Francisco with speeds between like 50-100mph - its spiffy :clap

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've seen that before, but damn that's awesome. Didn't McQueen do most of the driving himself?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'm sorry I may be alone on this, but jesus, that has to be one of the most over dramatized and over rated car chase scenes in hollywood history. Yes it was pretty good for the time period, but jesus it doesen't even hold a candle to more recent films, infact I find it somewhat boring. Ronin, the newer gone in 60, hell even a couple of the newer james bond flicks are more exciting than that, infact I have to say I've had more fun watching cannon ball run, the Herbie movies from the same era and even the F&F. :eek

Romanticism and admiration for the "golden age" of cinematogrophy is getting pretty old.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Peteex said:
I'm sorry I may be alone on this, but jesus, that has to be one of the most over dramatized and over rated car chase scenes in hollywood history. Yes it was pretty good for the time period, but jesus it doesen't even hold a candle to more recent films, infact I find it somewhat boring. Ronin, the newer gone in 60, hell even a couple of the newer james bond flicks are more exciting than that, infact I have to say I've had more fun watching cannon ball run, the Herbie movies from the same era and even the F&F. :eek

Romanticism and admiration for the "golden age" of cinematogrophy is getting pretty old.
I think what makes it pretty cool is that unlike alot of movies now-a-days, this scene is relatively realistic. No oil slicks, no unrealistic 250 ft. bridge jumps, etc, etc. I think the beauty of it comes from that its just so simple.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Ryan9118 said:
I've seen that before, but damn that's awesome. Didn't McQueen do most of the driving himself?
i think so, he actually had so professional race car performance

·
Registered
456 Posts
Peteex said:

The best car chase scene ever is the Italian Job, the original. the last car chase scene is over 30minutes, and its some real impressive driving. even for todays standards.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay - so its one of the best - I havent seen the original Italian Job - the original Gone in 60 Seconds was pretty good too - just really long

Peetex - its not necessarily overrated more than that its recognized for what it is. Those are STOCK cars running - the only mod is the Charger having skinnier tires so the Mustang could catch up - when they were doing the hills, McQueen was qouted saying that the Mustang was falling apart on him ( the front suspension broke in two, you can see it in how much he has to turn the wheel further on in the chase ) - sure more modern movies are cool and all, but most of that crap is done on computer of a shell on a semi's trailer ( like TFATF ) with stunt cars etc, and CGI ( like Gone in 60 Seconds ) - if you can make a car chase scene for a movie using todays modern cars, stock, wiith no modifications, run them at around 70-100mph thru the san francisco streets, and still make your heart race and make you want to just get into your car and hear your engine roar, then by all means, go ahead - till hollywood does that again, its going to be one of the best

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
aitkenstyle said:
goiod post. Yeah, the bullitt dident have a chance next to the charger.
Steve McQueen's stang was NOT stock...it had a 600 and some odd cubic inch engine in that badass. Steve fixed it up himself, my dad tells me. Anyhoo, that Ford could have kilt any charger in those days. Word to your mother. :clap

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Doesn't matter to me how it was made, the fact that the cars may or may not have been stock makes no difference to me, the only thing that signifies to me is that the movie had a low budget. I watch movies for entertainment, not to respect the filmaker or producer for realism, If I want realism I'll watch COPS, hell even their chases are more exciting.

I'm sorry, I just don't see what the big deal is about this movie? IMO, I guess other people just take movies for more than their worth, at least in a realistic sense. I' mean jeeze, I can't tell you how many people had no idea about this movie before Ford publicised it to sell their special editon Mustangs. Not once in 17 years on this planet before the Bullit edition mustang came out had I heard of this movie, seen it, or heard it called the greatest car chase scene of all time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts