Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car: 1996 Prelude VTEC ~115,000 miles

problem: car got stuck in 3rd gear with shifter in neutral. none of the other gears would engage. it had also started poppping out of 5th gear before this happened

we checked all the shifting assemblys and everything looked normal. so we proceeded to remove the tranny. having an old accord tranny to compare to, the first thing we noticed was this piece not turning properly on the H22 tranny. (accord tranny pictured)

when we opened the housing there wasnt a drop of tranny fluid (i havent changed it or added any since i got the car like 2 years ago. im an idiot i know) im hoping that wasnt the reason for this mess and we couldve just added fluid to avoid removing the tranny.

for the most part, the transmission internals appeared flawless. no busted gears or anything. here's a few pics.

correct me if im wrong (im a tranny n00b) but im assuming this is how it works: the red shaft actuates 1st and 2nd, the green works 3rd and 4th, and the blue works 5th and reverse?

the main problem we noticed just from toying with it was that the ring on the 3rd and 4th gear shaft (green) wasnt sliding up onto the gears like the other two. heres a better pic.

its just kinda grinded in there likely due to the lack of fluid. it doesnt move like the others. is it a safe assumption that this is the main problem since the car was stuck in 3rd gear? and are the smaller rings with teeth the synchos which likely need to be replaced? my next move will be to take it to a reputable (if there is such thing) transmission shop my uncle has dealt with in the past and explain/show the problem to him and have him disassemble it and order/replace the necessary parts. I just wanted as many opinions as possible from the online honda guru's before i spend money.

Ps: is there any site online to order honda transmission internals from at decent price?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
***edit*** There is no need to have someone else taking the tranny apart... you can do this yourself and inspect it yourself following the Helms manual. ;) The Blue Fork (shaft) is the First Gear and engages the counter shaft to rotate the differential. The Green you have it right except that the third is the one on the bottom and the Red Fork actuates Fifth and Reverse.

One point of bad news, the shifter assembly you show on the first pic that it wasn't rotating there, this rotates without a drop of oil, so the lack of oil is NOW discarded. :eek:
  1. Lay down a towel, clean of course and you need to lift both Clutch Shaft and counter shaft from assembly grabing the forks as well.
  2. Once uninstalled you need to disassemble the "long" shaft since the lack of oil may have damaged the synchros.
  3. By hand take apart the shaft parts and lay them down in the exact same order... if you even install it back with a gear upside down you will have problems... so just make sure that you start very carefully uninstalling everything in the same way is installed but layed down on your towel.
  4. Go the SHO's and get the helms manual if you don't have one yet. (Too lazy to look for the link :p)
  5. Inspect all rings for smoothness and synchros for roundness at the teeth or cracks. Advise... they tend to crack from the inside out!!!
  6. If everything is in good order (I think you may have problems with a syncro), but if you're lucky begin to install gear by gear.
  7. Use some tranny oil or WD-40 lubricant and spray after each gear and syncro assy, like for example... take 1st & 2nd and rotate them making sure you have free movement without any resistance.
  8. Finally when all gears are installed use your hands and have a friend hold the shaft on bottom and top and move the Fork Sleeves (is what engages the syncros). Do this a couple of times until the syncros go in properly and continually.
  9. Do the same for the countershaft.
  10. If everything is well, now is the time to inspect and clean your tranny interior. There is a magnet that needs cleaning as well as inspecting the rubber gormets.

Now, I beleive that you will need new syncros... if you like racing... you might as well buy carbon syncros in case that you need to replace many of them. If it is only one... then just buy it and replace it :number1

***edit2*** One more thing, make sure you check for the Sleeve teeth as well. :btu

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
KB96VTEC said:
so youre saying the one pictured that is stuck is 4th gear? and shouldnt 5th gear be the largest in diameter (blue)?
Hehehe, I wrote so much... no that's the third gear when I meant that the order is upside down was the way you had things thought out. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.