Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I have some questions I have an oppertunity through the SOHC honda clasifieds to pick up and ACT Stage 2 clutch for a decent price compared to the new one. the owner says it has 90% of the life left but Im not sure of the milage on the clutch.

I already have an ACT 12lb flywheel and Im wondering how well do you wonderful guys think the sligthy used clutch will mate to the brand new ACT flywheel?

pic is fuzzy as hell

her is the sale thred on here

CLICK THE LINK :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gurusan said:
That's a terrible picture...but still it doesn't look so great.

Buy a new clutch and do the break in yourself.
thanks for the advice man,I dont have the kind of flow to shell out 300 plus for a new clutch I could get this for 100+shipping.

what could happen if I used it?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i bought a *NEW* exedy organic clutch off of eBayMotors for $100 shipped last summer.

unless your car is pretty modded, you don't really have a need for a stage II clutch....

i wouldn't buy a used clutch unless i was out of options, even then i would get one from a junk car and pray that it lasted a couple months to get me one that was new. used clutches are pretty much like flipping a coin, heads it lasts a long while and is worth it -- or tails it dies in a month. either way, i don't like those odds.

Reactions: speedjunky01

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
i bought a *NEW* exedy organic clutch off of eBayMotors for $100 shipped last summer.

unless your car is pretty modded, you don't really have a need for a stage II clutch....

i wouldn't buy a used clutch unless i was out of options, even then i would get one from a junk car and pray that it lasted a couple months to get me one that was new. used clutches are pretty much like flipping a coin, heads it lasts a long while and is worth it -- or tails it dies in a month. either way, i don't like those odds.
The OEM is the 100 shipped one. Stage 1 is the $250 clutch, not stage 2.

It's really personal preference, but I LOVE the feel of a stage 1 clutch compared to OEM. It makes such a big difference.

A car with tight suspension, good tires, a stage 1 clutch, and a short shifter is just so fun to drive IMO.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
gurusan said:
The OEM is the 100 shipped one. Stage 1 is the $250 clutch, not stage 2.

It's really personal preference, but I LOVE the feel of a stage 1 clutch compared to OEM. It makes such a big difference.

A car with tight suspension, good tires, a stage 1 clutch, and a short shifter is just so fun to drive IMO.

despite your hatrid for the engine its bolted to. :bye :giggle

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't wast your time on a used setup. I got a 7lbs flywheel and heavy duty pressure plate. It was claimed to be 2 months old and have just under 2K on them. I got it and the flywheel was worked over and the pressure plate was glazed to a mirror finish

Unless you need the clutch so bad just save yourself time and money and buy new and stage 1

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I would be very hesitant on buying a used clutch especially with such poor pictures... You have no clue what you are buying. Other things to ask are :

1 - do you need an stg 2 clutch? Unless you are going to boost big numbers, thats definately overkill
2 - Why did *they* buy a stg2 clutch? Did they want something so they could do burnouts or drag style launches?
3 - Do they still have the clutch alignment tool?
4 - Are you really saving much after you factor in a new clutch throwout bearing? (new clutches come with one)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kommon_sense said:
I would be very hesitant on buying a used clutch especially with such poor pictures... You have no clue what you are buying. Other things to ask are :

1 - do you need an stg 2 clutch? Unless you are going to boost big numbers, thats definately overkill
2 - Why did *they* buy a stg2 clutch? Did they want something so they could do burnouts or drag style launches?
3 - Do they still have the clutch alignment tool?
4 - Are you really saving much after you factor in a new clutch throwout bearing? (new clutches come with one)
yes,very true,I think ill just save up for a nice streer/strip ACT clutch with extreme PP or mabbt a centerforce dual friction,I plan on going JRSC next summer so I just thought since this one is sliping might as well be ready for the supercharger.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
buy a new one and get it over with. that way you have some kind of warranty if something goes/is wrong with the clutch.
a friend of mine with a dsm purchased a used act2600 from another dsm'er and the clutch supposedly only had 25 miles on it. however the seller forgot to mention the clutch had about 50 hard runs at the track without being broken in.
to make the long story short he paid $300 for a junk clutch just to save $100 or so.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well iH ave decided what Im going to get Im getting the ACT heavy duty pressureplate along with the street/strip disk.

thank you all for the AWESOME help If I already havent reped you please post and I will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts