Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it worth it? where is the best place to buy it? how much is it? im getting a system soon and im pretty sure im gonna have to get a cap or a high end alternator

· Registered
3,194 Posts
xdannyx25 said:
just get a battery with atleast 100 cca over what the stats say for your car
spiral cell batteries are not even remotely the same as regular car starter batteries. Normal car batteries don't like to be discharged significantly and recharged again. A normal car battery is made for the car to take a tiny bit of juice while starting then the alternator kicks in and runs the car. If you're running a serious aftermarket stereo or like to sit with your radio on and car off, a deep cycle, or spiral cell is the only way to go. They can handle being discharged completley and recharged several thousand times, with a conventional battery every time you discharge it below a certain point(I believe 95% but don't quote me on that) depsits start to build up on the plates reducing the effective maximun charge of the battery, that means you're slowly killing it. I killed my stock battery in about 3 months because of my tiny stereo, I've since had an optima blue with no troubles at all. Out of the conventional batteries around, Honda makes some of the best there is, but they still won't hold up to the abuse some of us like to put them through :)

Another thought if you're concerned about you electrical system because of a stereo is invest in a xstatic batcap, small, effective, and better than your average 1 farad cap.

take a peek.
http://www.batcap.net/Model300.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1385256703&rd=1

· Registered
2,113 Posts
also..a battery with more CCA won't last as long as a battery with less CCA. only use the higher CCA if you live in a very cold climate, or if you need the cranking amps to run 457493752+ amps in your compeition for for the local comps (not daily driven)

· Registered
1,685 Posts
illusion said:

Another thought if you're concerned about you electrical system because of a stereo is invest in a xstatic batcap, small, effective, and better than your average 1 farad cap.

take a peek.
I'll second you on that my friend. I know of a few guys running them and they are VERY pleased. I WILL BE running at least one in my next install (whenever hell freezes over, pigs fly, and I have enough money). :)

· Banned
846 Posts
I THINK SPIRAL-CELLS ARE THE BEST THING SINCE PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY!!!

no, not really, but they do make a difference. They usually have a high CCA rating, keep a charge longer, and can be mounted any way your brain can possibly imagine.

· Registered
3,253 Posts
illusion said:
Out of the conventional batteries around, Honda makes some of the best there is, but they still won't hold up to the abuse some of us like to put them through :)

[/url]
Honda doesn't make batteries. But i wouldn't get a battery unless you are gonna listen to your system with the car off. If you are worried about the electrical system not beibg able to keep up upgrade the wires under your hood, batt to ground eng to ground, then the alt.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
that's the wierd thing, the only thing it says is honda. the first car I've owned with no other identifying marks on it. And when I go to the dealer there's a big sign that talks about hondas new battery technology, I think they might have gotten into the battery business when they started hybrids and EVs, or at least contract it out. Anyhow, the honda battery went dead as a doornail about 3 months after I bought the car, had the optima blue in ever since with no troubles, and a system that can pull 180A when it feels like it :)

· Registered
3,177 Posts
illusion said:
spiral cell batteries are not even remotely the same as regular car starter batteries. Normal car batteries don't like to be discharged significantly and recharged again. A normal car battery is made for the car to take a tiny bit of juice while starting then the alternator kicks in and runs the car. If you're running a serious aftermarket stereo or like to sit with your radio on and car off, a deep cycle, or spiral cell is the only way to go. They can handle being discharged completley and recharged several thousand times, with a conventional battery every time you discharge it below a certain point(I believe 95% but don't quote me on that) depsits start to build up on the plates reducing the effective maximun charge of the battery, that means you're slowly killing it. I killed my stock battery in about 3 months because of my tiny stereo, I've since had an optima blue with no troubles at all. Out of the conventional batteries around, Honda makes some of the best there is, but they still won't hold up to the abuse some of us like to put them through :)

take a peek.

i was in the influence that he wanted a better or stronger battery not another battery just for the stereo, dont really see why you would need this with a strong alternator unless this guy will have a trunk full of amps and wires

GSteg said:
also..a battery with more CCA won't last as long as a battery with less CCA. only use the higher CCA if you live in a very cold climate, or if you need the cranking amps to run 457493752+ amps in your compeition for for the local comps (not daily driven)
actually, if your alternator goes out the battery with more cca will last longest

· Registered
3,194 Posts
xdannyx25 said:
i was in the influence that he wanted a better or stronger battery not another battery just for the stereo, dont really see why you would need this with a strong alternator unless this guy will have a trunk full of amps and wires
Ok first point, read what he said "I am getting a system soon" well the stock battery and alternator are a hinderance. The battery is the quickest and easiest to replace, but using a batcap you might not even have to replace it, just add a batcap with the amps and everything should be happy, unless you are pulling some serious current, then a full electrical system is in order.

actually, if your alternator goes out the battery with more cca will last longest
not true. The battery with the higher aH(amp hour) rating will last longer. I have a 500cca battery for my boat, with a 120aH rating. so you think a 1000cca battery with a 50aH rating would outlast it? CCA usually reflects on the internal resistance of the battery, and how fast it can deliver the juice, the capacity is what deems the longevity of the battery. CCA is the maximum output for the battery, it has absolutely nothing to do with how long the battery will last.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I've been installing for about 15 years, and also happen to have my EE. If you can't back up and argument, please don't try to argue at all.

· Banned
846 Posts
illusion said:
Ok first point, read what he said "I am getting a system soon" well the stock battery and alternator are a hinderance. The battery is the quickest and easiest to replace, but using a batcap you might not even have to replace it, just add a batcap with the amps and everything should be happy, unless you are pulling some serious current, then a full electrical system is in order.

not true. The battery with the higher aH(amp hour) rating will last longer. I have a 500cca battery for my boat, with a 120aH rating. so you think a 1000cca battery with a 50aH rating would outlast it? CCA usually reflects on the internal resistance of the battery, and how fast it can deliver the juice, the capacity is what deems the longevity of the battery. CCA is the maximum output for the battery, it has absolutely nothing to do with how long the battery will last.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I've been installing for about 15 years, and also happen to have my EE. If you can't back up and argument, please don't try to argue at all.

WORD!:D

· Registered
3,177 Posts
illusion said:

actually you mislead my comment, i meant that if his car battery is supose to be 10 amp hour (just a number to use) that he should get a battery with more cca it will last longer.
i was just answering his battery question, no sh*t he or she should be fine with a strong enough cap,

and my credits are that in a couple months im getting my ase certifications, my college is paid for by ford, and my starter tool kit........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.