Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, heres the deal, i have a friend in the military who is stationed in japan right now. he can get cars that he buys in japan shipped here free, but only at certain times. so i started looking at some places in japan for a car. well, i found out that they sell cars there WAY cheap! i found tons of interesting cars all with great deals. the main one i was interested in was a '94 civic hatch. it has power windows, locks, cd, a/c, (yeah, in a hatch) 64k miles and they are asking only about $900 U.S for it! :cool: nice, right? well, it's right hand drive, and has no airbags, but, if i was to get airbags in it, would it be legal for use on public roads in the U.S.? or are there other expensive things i would have to do to it to make it legal? i mean it seems wierd that no one else would have thought of this, you can get r32 skylines with mods for like 3,000 u.s., twin turbo six speed supra for like $12k, '98 civic siR for about $6500. but, anyway, enough daydreaming, if anyone knows what it would take to do this legally, let me know. thanks.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pics

here are some pics. hopefully they work

oh, i thought it had cd, but it doesnt, just cassete.:rolleyes:
if you look real close, you can see the vtec solenoid - d16z6?

· Registered
1,018 Posts
its a z6, just look at the tach. I love the steering wheel on that thing. Sorry, i dont know about JDM stuff though, making a JDM engine USDM spec is pretty difficult, if your in cali like me then youll need a USDM motor, other than that i think most things are fine.

Edit-it looks like it has an airbag too

· Banned
638 Posts
this is from another board regarding the same topic about "importing a CTR"

Mr. X said:
The best thing to do would be to find a wrecked CTR. Then you need to get every last paper for it. Papers declaring ownership, where it came from, everything. Then import it as a Hobby car or a show car. Then get it fixed and register it as such. A Swap company here called Fastrax did this with 2 JDM ITR's. THey got all the papers for one of them, but not the other. The second car cannot get registered here because of it.

· Registered
8,520 Posts
In last months issue of Super Street, there was a big article on Motorex, and how they import them. It talked about the cost, process, and so on... so i'd check that out if i were you.

· Registered
2,734 Posts
CivicSiBeast said:
its a z6, just look at the tach.
That's not a D16Z6 head. On the Z6 head, the spark plug wells are on the forward side of the valve cover, not the firewall side. That's definitely a non-VTEC engine.

As for importing a car, the price of the car itself is cheap, but you wouldn't be able to register it here in the US to drive it. Unless you spend a pretty penny to make it street-legal here, all you could do is strip it down and part it out.

· Registered
225 Posts
couldn't you just register the car as a 93 civic hatchback?

anyways, how cool would it be to get pulled over, with a passenger on your side of the car, and have the cop go to the wrong side of the window. It would be funny, but you will probably get the ticket.

· Registered
225 Posts
couldn't you just register the car as a 94 civic hatchback?

anyways, how cool would it be to get pulled over, with a passenger on your side of the car, and have the cop go to the wrong side of the window. It would be funny, but you will probably get the ticket.

· Registered
702 Posts
You need to contact your local RI or Registered Importer. This is what Motorex is. The US Customs website has much info on the importing process and requirements as well of a list of RI's for each state. An RI will be able to tell you what modifications will be required to register your car in the US and your specific state, this way you will know the cost before purchasing and shipping.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, thanks for all the info. and input. i dont think it will be too big of a hassle, as long as i can find a registered importer for my state. i'll call my insur. company with a vin number, as well, and see what they have to say, and i'll take a trip to the registration place, and see if they have any info. thanks again for all the help.

· Registered
275 Posts
cashizslick said:
couldn't you just register the car as a 94 civic hatchback?

or drive around with a dummy in the drivers seat. you know those googy crash test dummies. that would be hilarious . have him giving the finger or something. or a naked female maniquin with big hooters naked or something else stupid like a dog

· Registered
8,520 Posts
vtecmissle said:
or drive around with a dummy in the drivers seat. you know those googy crash test dummies. that would be hilarious . have him giving the finger or something. or a naked female maniquin with big hooters naked or something else stupid like a dog
HAHAHAHA ... everyone would think that no ones driving. or have the guy in the pasenger seat sleeping, and everyone would think that the drivers asleep .. or get a steering wheel on the passenger side, and have the passenger turned around not paying attention, and then you kinda swerve a little ... oh man, i would have alot of fun with that .. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.