Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions regarding the P0219 Engine Overspeed Code, and the Freeze Frame Data that is captured.

I was driving a friend's 2004 V6, 6 spd Accord and upshifting at the redline thru the first three gears. The engine now has problems and the Regional Service Manager will not allow the warranty to cover any of the damage because the P0219 Engine Overspeed Code was issued. He claims that based on that code and the Freeze frame data, he believes the car was downshifted from 4th or 5th to 2nd. I contend I was upshifting after getting on a busy road. Will the P0219 code be issued in an upshift situation, and what is the delay in time between when the code is issued and when the freeze data is captured? He told me there is a 1.5 second delay, which just seems very odd to me...seems like the sample rate would be much faster than that.

The freeze data states the engine was at 4800 rpm, 88 mph, and TPS was reading 3.9 V. I haven't found the gear ratios of the vehicle yet (2004 Accord V6 w/ 6spd, 26k miles), but I believe this was 3rd gear, which sort of substantiates my claim that the P0219 code was issued when I hit the rev limiter in 2nd....and that I didn't downshift. Shortly after I reached this speed I let off of the gas. The vehicle also output several cylinder misfire codes.

Any specifics about how the freeze frame data works and how warranty departments interpret that data would be greatly appreciated. While I contend I was driving fast and aggressively, I don't believe I was operating the vehicle under conditions that should have broken the engine severely. The dealership believes that valves are bent, or worse. Does anybody have any advice for my situation? I am being told by the dealership service manager that the Honda America district service manager will not allow the vehicle to be warrantied, but nobody will let me have his contact information so I can have an honest, technical conversation with him.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Well 3.9v means you are maxing out, but thats a given considering you are not disputing that.

To be honest. it's their word against yours. The problem is that the ECU recorded the over rev code and its present along with freeze frame information. The timeframe delay I don't know, but I think its pretty correct to say that its almost instant. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called a freeze frame for nothing.

The point is the code is present and since you did say that you were florring it easily means the car could have been over rev'ed. As to what you did is not certain whether it be a downshift into second or an over rev before upshifting.

The thing is, you over rev'ed it regardless of downshifting or upshifting. Otherwise the code wouldn't have appeared. So the dealer could easily decline warrenty work due to abusive driving of vehicle out of its conditions.

Sorry, wish I could help more.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Ok so you have a CEL that says your over-revved the engine. Is the car actually acting up? If not just reset the ECU and see if the CEL comes back. I would think (could be wrong) that if you reset the ECU then all of the freeze frame data would be cleared and the CEL would go away unless you damaged the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.