Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all, my daughter has a 2000 accord ex, and when we pulled codes we got p1106. I did a search on the web without any usable results. can anybody give me any help??? thanks, Bill ps, cool site!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
P1106 Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem

check the wiring harness to the map(manifold absolute pressure) sensor. I believe it is on the top of the throttle body. it will say in small letters map sensor denso or denso map sensor or something to that nature.
if in turn it is a map sensor you have only 2 options. get a new throttle body because they don't sell them seperate on hondas, or your best bet would be to go to a junkyard and get one off an old honda. one from any 99-2000 honda will work a 96-98 may work as well.

welcome to superhonda. anything you need, someone on here can help you.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
the baro sensor has nothing to do with the map sensor. if it is indeed a bad baro sensor you have one option if you want the code to go away, replace the ecu. the baro sensor is a small board that is located inside the actual ecu housing and is soldered to the pcb. thus if it goes bad you really have no choice but to replace the ecu unless you happen to have a spare junk ecu laying around that you can desolder a baro sensor from and solder it into your ecu.

if you do not believe me that the baro sensor is in the ecu then here is a picture of a usdm p28 and a jdm.

·
Registered
527 Posts
if it has nothing to do with the map sensor than tell me where it gets it's reading from?
just because a code is thrown doesn't mean you automatically replace what is says is wrong. You may every well be correct, it may be that chip, but there are a few other things that need to be tested before you replace the ecu.

1) the wiring to the ecu and the wires from the map sensor
2) the map sensor itself

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
slammed jdm said:
if it has nothing to do with the map sensor than tell me where it gets it's reading from?
just because a code is thrown doesn't mean you automatically replace what is says is wrong. You may every well be correct, it may be that chip, but there are a few other things that need to be tested before you replace the ecu.

1) the wiring to the ecu and the wires from the map sensor
2) the map sensor itself

i can see where someone may get confused about the baro sensor. it is an internal circuit. there are no wires in the harness nor anything outside of the ecu that deal with the baro sensor. the baro sensor exists to deal with ultra small changes in barometric pressure and to help apply necessary changes to fuel trims. the map sensor (a totally seperate system) only tells what the manifold pressure or vacuum is but since our atmosphere is never at a perfect pressure the baro sensor detects the current atmospheric pressure to in a sense set a baseline. baro readings have very small changes ranging anywhere from 28inhg - 31inhg but can swing even further depending on what major weather event is occuring.

so once again the map sensor has nothing to do with the baro sensor. the baro sensor is an internal circuit in the ecu and the pressure sensor is located on the ecu board itself. once again if you do not believe me look at the picture above, its plain as day. and if you still dont believe me call honda and ask them what they do with ecu's that have bad baro sensors, they throw them away since honda does not do ecu repair.

**edit, and dont ask me why jdm and edm ecu's do not have baro sensors because i have absolutly no idea. and from what i can gather from pgmfu.org nobody else does either. although it does seem that jdm cars get a "stripped down" version of an ecu while edm ecu's are absolutly bare bones. i would guess the epa and federal emissions policy is why we are lucky enough to have a baro sensor but that is only speculation

·
Registered
527 Posts
I stand corrected...I was almost 100% positive that the baro sensor gathered it's information from the map sensor. I do know both of their jobs but didn't know they weren't electrically connected. sorry for any confusion I caused.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
slammed jdm said:
I stand corrected...I was almost 100% positive that the baro sensor gathered it's information from the map sensor. I do know both of their jobs but didn't know they weren't electrically connected. sorry for any confusion I caused.
no problem. i was actually under the same assumption as you were for a long time untill my buddy started throwing a baro code in his turbo'd si. we both thought it was map related but yet the car still ran fine...after some research we found out the above and realized it would have been better if the damn map had been bad instead of the baro because its cheaper then a new ecu...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why?

I have the same problem with my 99 civic ex. I have pulled the code and it says map/barometric sensor. Why if they are not related why are the both listed on the code. I was under the impression that they were the same sensor. Advance Auto Parts pulled up the barometric sensor and it was under the map sensor category.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P1106 Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem

check the wiring harness to the map(manifold absolute pressure) sensor. I believe it is on the top of the throttle body. it will say in small letters map sensor denso or denso map sensor or something to that nature.
if in turn it is a map sensor you have only 2 options. get a new throttle body because they don't sell them seperate on hondas, or your best bet would be to go to a junkyard and get one off an old honda. one from any 99-2000 honda will work a 96-98 may work as well.

welcome to superhonda. anything you need, someone on here can help you.
So get a used ecu to fix the code

1 - 11 of 11 Posts