Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend came to me asking me for an estimate on a nighthawk black paint job for her 96 Civic Coupe, but I don't know much about paint, so I was wondering how much it would be for solid and metallic.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Reps for helpin my friend out when I couldn't.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
my paint jobs start at 4k

but a good paint job no less then 5k

a ok paint job will be 3-4k

a below average will be 2-3k

a crap job unless u know someone will be 2k and under

and a thing u will want if a lifetime warrenty unless u like spending money in a yr or two to do it again. if someone does not offer up a lifetime warrenty then there paint is cheap and they donot think it will last to long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It depends on the color of her car now!
Dark covering light takes a lot of prep and paint.
I say if you are going for a Pearl metallic, in a half gallon you would be looking at around $500.00 -$1000.00 (That is pending on how much Pearl you want)
To give you an Idea, i picked up my paint last week and its a yellow soaked
high pearl matallic and i picked up a gallon for $650.00.
Thats not including High build primer/activator, clear coat / activator etc..
So i would say you would be looking at around at least $2500.00
it all depends on the amount of labor.
Good luck..........Rob

·
Registered
127 Posts
ultimatebravo said:
I've always wondered, whats in paint that makes it so damn expensive?
Maybe its the metal flake ?? Or more reasonable its because paint selling is a sellers market. you cant exactally make your own paint, so the paint companies can charge what ever they want if they have a reputation for having good paint (ppg, dupont, HOK). MAybe im wrong, perhaps theres gold, platinum or rhodium in pearl paint.....

·
Registered
936 Posts
damn it. I paided 2200 for my car, i really dont want to pay twice that to paint it. Oh well :cry Guess im sticking with my chipped faded 1992 Accord LX paint job. :cry

·
Registered
127 Posts
friend of mine had his hatch painted for 800$ and he bought the paint. was lexus blue pearl or somethinglike that. its all who you know..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep. My mom works at a company which manufactures Tanker trucks, and one of her good friends is one of the main painters for the company, and he is only charging me around 800-900 bucks for a good paint job. Life is ALL about who you know.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
yes it is all about who u know, but u also get what u pay for. and one mans idea of a good job is another mans macco job. Plus also its the meterials they use, most ind paints are not that good.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
99teggsr said:
Maybe its the metal flake ?? Or more reasonable its because paint selling is a sellers market. you cant exactally make your own paint, so the paint companies can charge what ever they want if they have a reputation for having good paint (ppg, dupont, HOK). MAybe im wrong, perhaps theres gold, platinum or rhodium in pearl paint.....
its the goverment that makes it so expensive. Enviroement people, osha etc etc. theres laws makes it hard for quality paint to be made and used. the price the paint company has to pay trickels down to the customer.

Its funny all these tree huggers talk the talk, but then they get into there car and smog up the place. Also House of kolor charges alot because of how they produce there paint, the higher quality the higher the price. house of kolor and sikkens are the top of the line then comes PPG, and then the house paint brands sherwin williams and dupont.

paint is like car brands, house or kolor and sikkens is like a bentley
PPG is like a bmw,
sherwim williams and dupont are like fords :hehe
anything else is like a KIA RIO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts