Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..so..me and my wife are going to be doing some body work..we are really new at all this but we wanna try.if we mess up then oh well..atleast i can say we did our best. i have some questions.. one i do the body work..its just some rust repair and dents to fill in. after that is done i dont really know the next steps..i need some direction on what to do next..all the steps..sanding..cleaning..primer..paint ect. i dont wanna do this with a rattle can. i wanna use a spray gun. now i no to sand down my 20yr old paint but what grits should i use and how far do i sand..do i just sand enough to knock the shine off or sand down to the primer ..ect...also will i need primer before i paint or can i just paint. my car is white.im goin to be repainting it white. i no if i use cheapo paint then im not going to get the best results but its ok for me. id rather have a solid color then a bunch of primer spots all over. plus im going this as a learning experience. what brand of paint should i use.ect.can i buy paint with clear coat already in it. how much..ect..ive said enough..i dont wanna keep blarbering on thanks guys

· Registered
260 Posts
ok..so..me and my wife are going to be doing some body work..we are really new at all this but we wanna try.if we mess up then oh well..atleast i can say we did our best. i have some questions.. one i do the body work..its just some rust repair and dents to fill in. after that is done i dont really know the next steps..i need some direction on what to do next..all the steps..sanding..cleaning..primer..paint ect. i dont wanna do this with a rattle can. i wanna use a spray gun. now i no to sand down my 20yr old paint but what grits should i use and how far do i sand..do i just sand enough to knock the shine off or sand down to the primer ..ect...also will i need primer before i paint or can i just paint. my car is white.im goin to be repainting it white. i no if i use cheapo paint then im not going to get the best results but its ok for me. id rather have a solid color then a bunch of primer spots all over. plus im going this as a learning experience. what brand of paint should i use.ect.can i buy paint with clear coat already in it. how much..ect..ive said enough..i dont wanna keep blarbering on thanks guys

Your definatly gunna wanna do a good amount of sanding before you even think of painting.

After you make a trip to Harbor frieght (or your tool shop of choice) and get a couple tools in order to make the job easier;

Get a nice electric circular sander.......Its gunna make it a hell of a lot faster and easier for you in the long run, lol.

Gunna wanna get some nice Grit for the sander, some of them come with a couple peices of sandpaper, some dont, But youll need a good amount of sandpaper, it tends to wear out kinda quick

also the paint of your choice ( might have to go to the dealership depending on what kinda paint you want, Some can run up to 30$ a pint) that shit is expensive, but your definaltly gunna wanna spend the extra money to get the good shit.

get a nice spray gun always go gravity feed....the other ones kinda suck..........you can get a nice one for 100 $$ or less.

a couple oil/water separaters. ....those are nice to put in front of the couplets.

An air compressor (take it you have one already)

primer

paint thinner

Start out with a medium grit, ( wouldnt go too rough unless you fell comfortable) then work your way down to the fine grit to get the last bit of primer off.

okay...........now for the fun part.....gunna keep this breif ...my hands hurt from typing.....

Your gunna wanna keep the compressor on a low psi setting, cuz u want a fine spray of even laying paint. (40-60 psi)

I would spray on at least one if not two coats of primer, if its white, probly just one.

and at least two coats of fine paint....

spray the car evenly, and distance is the key......I like to pulse the sprayer while im painting....

we painted my friends 92 foxbody from grey to black and it turned out siiiick. dont pay to get that shit done unless you want a custom paint.

hope this helps a lil bit......so much typing...haha :bash

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.