Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’m in a whole crisis with my car. Someone hit my doors (2 months ago) and i put new ones on. The rear door doesn’t match the color of my car. I got a few dinks in my hood and it was like that when i bought it. My paint is faded, no shine whats so ever even though when it’s washed, it looks nice. I need a paintjob!!! I went to some ghetto ass shops here in PHX since I didn’t know of any shops that would do honest work. Well basically, those shops sent me running back to where I came from and i went to Maaco down the street. I've heard and read a lot of Maaco horror stories and its all familiar to me. I went to this one and it was heaven compared to what i went to before. I talked to the guy, and he estimated the price for the best paintjob they have, have it sanded and polished, have all the dents taken out, and redo something i had fixed before for 1,500. Today i called some shops in Tempe and they're asking for 2,500-3,500. Since i don’t have that much money, and even if i did i don’t think i would spend that much on a paintjob, i decided to go over to maaco once again and take a closer look at some of the cars they have done. They offer a 6-year warranty and the masking done on those cars is perfect. Eventhough it is maaco, some of the cars down there look very nice and i think is a job well done. I looked at 10 different cars and the masking job was excellent. I told him about the horror stories I’ve heard and he told me that of course 3k-4k are going to be better, but as far as masking, this n that, the job is well done at this maaco. From what I understand, each maaco is owned by a different owner, which means paintjobs varies from place to place. Some people say that their color fades in a couple of years or so, well that what the warranty is for. If it starts fading, even though its white and the white color is the most forgiving, they'll paint it over again. What do you guys think? I don’t have much money now but i do for maaco. You got to understand that my car looks like a trashcan. Has not been washed in 2 months, different shade door, i took my rims off, this n that...... I have lips, jdm headlights, and a grille as home just waiting to be put on, which means i need to paint my car as soon as possible. What do you think I should do? Go with THIS Maaco???

P.S. I'll still make a few calls to some TEMPE shops but for now, its maaco.....

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'd read over the warantee pretty closely, but I'd say go for it. It doesn't need to be show quality.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally got the car for 3,600. I don’t think its worth getting a paintjob that costs more then the car it self. The car is in very good condition and i really do take care of its appearance and engine. The car is never hard driven, oil changed every 2.5k miles and so forth. I plan on keeping the car for a long time and plan on dropping in an H22a in over the summer or so. What I’m trying to say is it really matters to me how this turns out. At the shop, they had some restored classics and they got the same paintjob as me. The color was black, which means you can see every single dust particle on it (there was none). It was sanded down and buffed and looked better then factory paint. The reflection on it was like looking at a mirror. I'm just saying that maaco varies from place to place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, sorry Im not much help, but I am hunting for a paintjob too. You should do a follow up and let us know how it went. I saw a few other threads w/ the Maaco battle. Car looks good tho, g'luck

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
decca1o said:
Hey, sorry Im not much help, but I am hunting for a paintjob too. You should do a follow up and let us know how it went. I saw a few other threads w/ the Maaco battle. Car looks good tho, g'luck
Thx. I'll call some other places as well, get my car estimated, thin n that. Because I’m very busy with school, work and all, I probably wont look around much and settle with maaco. Like I said, it probably varies from place to place so if I come off with a nice paintjob, doesn’t mean that you will. I'll tell you of my experience but I suggest you go down to the shop and take a good look at some of the cars they have done.

One more thing, I just searched the forums to see what others had to say about maaco and many say that its not that their service sucks, its the paint it self. What if I asked them to use my own paint. I would ask around for a good quality paint and have them spray it for me. I'm pretty sure that this would void the warranty on the paintjob but its worth an ask.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
their masking is fine its the prep work and the actual paint they use that give them the "horror stories" reputation. cheap paint = cheap price

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
you'd probably be better off just prepping your car yourself with a some bondo, sander withsome course and extremely fine grit sandpaper so you can wet sand it. I helped prep my friends old cavalier when he decided to sell it and got a incredibly cheap paintjob to get more for the trade in value

haha it worked

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have not asked if i'm allowed to supply them with my own paint, but even if i was, i'm pretty sure it will void the warranty. About the quality of the paint, prep, thin n that, i talked with the guy and since it has the 6 year warrant, if it ever peals, cracks, fades or anything else, they'll repaint the car at no cost. Even though I have many future plans for the car, such as h22 swap and many other modifications, i don’t think I’ll have the car for more then 6 years. I think i'll be driving something other then a nearly 20 year old car when 2011 comes around. Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
there will be tons of orange peel though, ive seen my friends stang first hand with some. they paint the car fairly quick, they barely do enough preping so the primer will stick, their paint is cheap, they dont bake the paint so it will last. think about it they do your entire car in almost 1 day.

their warranties always sounds good but if their warranties are so great why do so many people complain about their paint jobs, if everything is warranted. if the paint is going to fade/crack/chip/peel in a yr or 2 whats going to stop that from happening again after they do "fix it."

i know a little bit about having a car paint as i painted my car with the help of my friend who kinda does some body work on the side and we did way more prepping, used way better paint (ppg) and clear than any maaco would do but i didnt have the option of having the paint baked. ive got a little orange peel here and there, some blemishes from dust, but wet sanding and claybaring helped with alot of that. you can still see some orange peel on my paint but i will be getting it sprayed again sometime in the future. my paintjob still is no where near show or factory quality so you get what you pay for...

more pics here http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2135053175
http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2135053861

my friend(bodywork guy) and i tried claybaring my other friend's stang that had a maaco job to see if it would help with the blemishes but the paint was basically rubbing off using the claybar so we stop cuz my friend said the paint/clear they used was too cheap so we didnt even attempt to do a wet sand.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
i would save another thousand or so and get a better paintjob from a better shop with a better reputation. a decent paintjob cost alot more than 1,500-its more like 3-4,000 for a good paintjob. you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do agree that you get what you pay for, but the more you pay doesn’t mean that the better its going to come out. I went to this Maaco several times, i looked at their cars and no orange peal. I looked at some of the cars that have been sanded and buffed, its smooth as glass. The paint had less orange peal then the factory painted cars. I went in the back where they do body work and was looking at a car that was being prepped. The car was totally sanded down, no color whats so ever. The Maaco that i went to also bakes their paint. The guy showed me a black Altima that just got out of the baking booth and it looked very nice. The guy gave me a whole tour of the place and since at the time i've never been to any other maaco shops, i was impressed. Later on i went to a different maaco shop and it was a different story. Tons of orange peal, the environment was crap and everything else sucked. At "MY" maaco, the paintjob and the labor (dents, fixing something in the back, pulling door handles, masking.....) that i want to get will come out just about to $1,800. The last maaco that me and my friend went to, he got his car estimated and got his price down $150 then the original by bargaining. I plan to lower my by $300, i'm not paying more then $1,500.

I believe the horror stories told by many regarding maaco and i'm fully aware of that. I also know that every maaco is owned by a different owner and things are ran differently. At this maaco, they do honest work at least from what i can see.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
ok-so maybe this maaco is an exception, but to have an entire car painted properly at 1800 sounds a little suspicious to me-but if it looks like they will do the job right, then go for it-i mean if they gave you a tour of the place, and showed you the painting and prepping process step by step, then maybe they have nothing to hide, but i would still be a bit cautious about the whole thing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rnstein69 said:
ok-so maybe this maaco is an exception, but to have an entire car painted properly at 1800 sounds a little suspicious to me-but if it looks like they will do the job right, then go for it-i mean if they gave you a tour of the place, and showed you the painting and prepping process step by step, then maybe they have nothing to hide, but i would still be a bit cautious about the whole thing.
Thanks a lot on your opinions and i have been cautious. I was there a couple of times, and before i paint my car, i'll revisit a couple of times more to see how the cars are painted and how good it looks. If i see something i dont like, i might turn away but for now its maaco all the way. :hehe

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
are you sure its a baking booth or more a 'light booth.' if that maaco shows good workmanship then go for it. check the final job in the sun. in my garage or dark areas my car's paint looks flawless but in the sun you can see the peel and little imperfections.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bonestock94 said:
are you sure its a baking booth or more a 'light booth.' if that maaco shows good workmanship then go for it. check the final job in the sun. in my garage or dark areas my car's paint looks flawless but in the sun you can see the peel and little imperfections.
The guy told me "baking booth". The cars which i saw we mostly outside. I saw the low cost maaco paintjobs on the cars outside and on the inside the "best" paintjobed cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would like to know how your paint comes out. My accord looks like crap. The guy I bought the car from had a bra on it and he had removed it. The guy used to live in tahoe which gets lots of snow. So my paint on the roof and hood looks like ass. Also my car is a dark green which sucks in Sacramento, 100+ degree summers. I am hoping I can change the color of the car to a lighter blue such as bonestock94 without seeing the old color. I know that maaco would not be able to paint under my hood and in my trunk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts