Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
649 Posts
COOL, shoulda picked a more outstanding colour, but to each their own taste. that plain OEM silver is dull looking; a buddy did his in Ford Racing Blue. i hav red pipe, u suggest a color?

· Registered
1,094 Posts
that's nice man... I planned on doing the same but didn't know what paint to use or whether there was a process i should follow. (ex: sand, prime, paint) got any adivce? what did you use?

· Registered
43 Posts
Hossfowler said:
I love it man! The Black is awsome! I like how it doesnt stick out like bling bling but looks good. I think other colors look dumb casue they dont match anything else. Black fits in nice.
agreed, its a good color. i dont like those fancy colors either.

fancy colors just make the car stick out compared to every other car... isnt that kinda like riceboyin??

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I was originally thinking about a dark blue like the DOHC blue and then thought about just polishing it, but then decided to go with black. It looks nice and lots of my highlights on my car are black. Anyway, here's how I did it:

I used "plasti-kote Engine Enamel". Used "Low Gloss Black" on the black part and then "Clear" over the entire thing. Basically I took off the valve cover after several hours of letting the car cool down with the hood open. (Also I put down a layer of tin foil and then several towels over the head so nothing could get inside the engine in the meantime.) I took the valve cover inside and proceeded to sand it down. I had several bubbles and chips in the paint, so I sanded those off. I was going to sand down and polish the whole thing, but didn't have the time nor the patience to do all that. So I took some scotch tape and taped off the "H", "VTEC", and "HONDA MOTOR CO." and then took my exacto knife cut the edges off so that the tape was only on the very top of the lettering.
I then cleaned it off real good, took it to my balconey (I live in an apartment) and started painting. I did 2 coats of black that night, then 1 more coat of black after work the next day. Then I took off the scotch tape and put on 2 coats of clear. Waited a couple more hours, put a new gasket on, and reinstalled.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh, thanks man :D

aznprid3 said:
i like the look but u said that u were considering polishing it....is there a way to do that urself???? if there is how can u do it....i have a 97 accord and i want a polished valve cover....thanks
The only way I know of is with a lot of sand paper, time, and patience. I didn't have any of them.

· Registered
35 Posts
well I know that there are a few shops around me that do it for anywhere from $75-150 depending.

you can use a high speed buffer with metal polish, it does take a while.

but then you can try to find a used cover or buy a new one and then have it polished or polish it, then swap... do it all again and sell the second one for a few $$

or you could get it powdercoated...

but I wouldn't now, the white on black looks hot....

· Registered
3,081 Posts
NICE man....you did a very good job IMHO :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.