Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Painting car

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  hobie237 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I've searched around and I didn't have any luck on finding information to prep/paint my car. Is there a DIY for that?

#3 ·
cconfusionn said:
Hey guys,
I've searched around and I didn't have any luck on finding information to prep/paint my car. Is there a DIY for that?
easy.
buy lots of sand paper, about 300 dollor worth. u gona need it all if you going to paint the whole car.
paint
painting equipment
3 bucket's of clear coat.

so...not really worth taking it your self, take it to a shop. search around for a good priced place.

#4 ·
I appreciate your advice on not to paint my car by myself, but I've figured out the cash and got enough information that it costs less to do it myself. I'm just asking if any of you know any DIY so i can make comparisions of the steps and which is a better way to go. I've gone to a local paint & supply shops and it'll cost me $230 to buy primer, base coat, and clear coat. I have an air compressor and spray gun and all the equipment. I would also rent a booth for less than a $100 for 1 day to do the paint job. As for sanding down the car, I've asked the pro at paint shops and local stores, they said go with lower grids first then higher then prime and wet sand then base coat and etc. I'm gonna paint with a guy that have experiences with painting car (he told me to prep the car myself if possible because he won't be back in a month or two) so i'm taking this opportunity to learn. If I'm gonna bring my car to a shop do you guys think i would post this for help? By the way, i've tried the search buttons from more than 6 automotive forums and google. I've read the entired DIY from this forum and www.****************.

By the way mad-ass if it cost me $300 for the sand papers and 3 buckets of clear coat to paint my car, i don't think you know what the hell u're talking about.

Anyone out there who can give me some tips? I'd really appreciated

#5 ·
Well i haven't painted any cars but i have painted sub boxes and smallers car parts. Your going to need a HVLP gun, and get yourself a good size air compressor/air tank setup. You'll use alot of air while your painting the entire car, plus once your done it's really nice to have air tools around while your working on your miscellaneous projects. Large sanding blocks help alot for large relatively flat areas, then use smaller sanding blocks for tighter radiuses. Also if you need to fix dents in the body before you paint it, do it right the first time and don't use bondo to cover the problems up cause they will only get worse that way. Cut out the rust sections (if any) and weld in patch panels, for dents, pop them out with a reverse hammer(another thing you may want to invest in). If you end up doing repair work like that too your car, before your primer it, go over the car with a skim coat of Rage Gold body filler, and sand the entire body down nice and smooth. Then your all set to primer and paint the car. Best of luck to you ;)

#6 ·
I have a spot of rust about 3 inches in diameter on the top of the back wheel and i think when i bought my car two years ago the older owner put bondo on it. I think it's starting to showing more cancer on that area, you think you can go to the junkyard or something and cut out that part then weld it on my area or is there any suggestion on that? I think you're right on the bondo, it'll get worse after a while.

#7 ·
Yea, that would work. Get that section from the junkyard and weld it back in, when you do that though, make sure to seal it again so that the rust won't return.

#9 ·
cconfusionn said:
what u mean by seal it
at your paint shop, or where ever your getting you paint, they should sell a rust inhibitor. Spray that on first before any other paint goes on the bare metal to help prevent rust from developing there again.

#15 ·
oh heres the step by step:
1 wash car very well, simple green will help and it will get your previous wax and grease off
2 WET sand that puppy down with 400-600 grit get all the clear coat off until u get to the base coat.
3.wash the car down again after, then wipe it down with paint thinner
4 go to home depot buy
some paint, RUSTOLEUM stop rust. and mineral spirit, mix 1 to 1 ratio spray it on with a paint gun. or do wat i did and buy 12 cans of paint, if you have skill with a can.
5 do 2 coats then sand with 800 grit....repeat until you have about 4-6 coats
6 after finished let paint dry for 24 hours
7 go buy some polish rubing compound and do the whole car with a high speed buffer,dont go over 1000rpms
8 buff it out with some good wax
9 HAVE A BEER

#16 ·
If you can get your primer, base, and clear all for less than $300 then dont expect it to last too long. I restore cars and I just painted my civic a couple weeks ago. ( check out the pics on myspace ) I had almost $1000 for sealer, primer, base coat, and clear. And that was at cost since I work at a body shop. Just remember you get what you pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.