Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably going to sound like a pretty newbie question, but does anyone know about painting engine parts, I'm swapping a B18C1 into my Civic and I want it to look SEXY, and that means that the valve cover that was shiny and new many years ago is gonna need a paint job, but what kind of paint/what different layers (eg. Primers, topcoats etc.) am I going to need?

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
You mean, like powder coating the valve cover? like this?

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
just take it to a shop that does powder coating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping someone would know the different paints etc. needed to do it, I already have a paint sprayer and I'd like to save some money by DIY.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
well, powder coating holds up very well to heat, does not scratch easily at all and is a very tough kind of paint. you can get a similar look by diy, but it probably wont last as long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It took me at least 2 hours to complete my valve cover.
Go to o,reilly or any other auto parts and by a high temp can of paint at least 500 degress or more they have lots of colors so u pick.
Take the valve cover off, remove all the little bushings that go under the screws and the valve cover gasket, remove all dirt and oil with your choice of deggreaser and littly sand the valve cover so the paint will stick, take a couple of cotton balls and your wifes acetone and clean the valve cover before painting.
I dont reccomend priming just go stright to painting slow left and right motion 6 inch away from valve cover then wait 5 min till next coat, repeat at least 3 times going all around the valve cover for uniformity and texture, when u say the valve cover is all around shiny and uniform let stand for at least 2 hours if ur in a hurry or till the next morning if u dont want fingerprints on it.
when installing make sure u put on the valve cover gasket back on correctly, when tightening the bolts dont over tighten or they will break and remember to install the bushings under the bolts.

DIY...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I got the 1200 Degree paint from a Naval Ship supply yard. Heck yeah. You only get about 3 colors though... Blue, Red, or Yellow.

Stripped all the paint off, roughed it up, layed down 6 light coats, baked it, clear-coated, baked, and put back. Looks good. Cost me about $30.

I'm planning on stripping some of the clear off the front, and painting a bomb-shell girl on it by hand.

... dont over tighten or they will break and remember to install the bushings under the bolts.

DIY...
He speaks the truth, I had to repair one of the bolts. I expected it to stop at the tight point, but no...

I paint everything. It seems simple, but may best be left to someone who's done it before. It's even better if you have a spray gun to shoot it. I'm going to go back over it with my air brush gun to do the details and I'm going to paint this on the front:

or this:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts