Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Try your hardest to get some OEM matched auto paint. Spraypaint - even DC - isn't the greatest. For how toos check the stickies.

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40_Below said:
Try your hardest to get some OEM matched auto paint. Spraypaint - even DC - isn't the greatest. For how toos check the stickies.
i might just go to abody shop and have them mix me a can how much do you think I will need just to do the side skirts and what do i need the primer paint clear coat and what grit should I use to sand it down?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Just have them mix you a pint of color and a quart of clear. Make sure they don't mix the hardener in the clear. You don't need any primer, but I'd reccomend some gray sealer, it will make it a lot easier to paint with that dark color you have.. For prepping info check the stickies.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
first off, u will need a plastic aheasion agent. this might be difficult due to the fact that honda uses recycled plastic and mixes ridged and semi ridged plastic together, this is why all honda replacement parts come primered.

u will need to get a bodyshop that knows this and get the product to spray on there that will all for the scealer to adhear to the side skirt.

thats one reasion bodyshops are not really suppost to do major repairs on honda bumpers due to the fact bondo will not ahear to well to it.

to prep it u will need a paint safe degreaser, and scuff pad or wet sand 1000 grit. if u have any scratches u can take some wet sand 400 to it lightly just take ur time but u cannot go courser then that. dry off and paint.. its not that hard, it just depends on how good u want it to look.

if u have access to sikkens paint brand: u can buy the plastic aheasion in a spray can style as well as primer in a spray can, the plastic aheasion agent is called plastoflex

and the primer is a sikkens brand that comes in a white can and it works good, shake it up good also, id apply 2 coats of the plastic adheasion, then let it dry for like 15 mins the spray the primer on, give it like 4 coats,let it dry for a half of day then sand it down with some 600 grit. then clean it with some water, the ur ready to paint. also dark greens and blacks and blues covers anycolor well, only dark reds donot and some slivers, and whites

goodluck let me know if u need any help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
DON"T put a spray bomb to you car man!!! Do yourself a favior and bring it to a shop!! I see guys doing this all the time and it wont match, it will be dull do to the fact it wont be clear coated and wet sanded!!! TRUST ME
:eek

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
few things i left out I havent responded to this thread in awhile. the side skirts are after market abs not the regular honda ones. I was doing some reasearch and people told me not to sand the plastic. I already bought the plastic adhesion promoter and im going to spray it in a few days I already had the paint bought from a body shop and I have some clear coat but im sure its not enough clear coat lol. Im going to primer it some time this week or next I havent been able to do it because its been raining

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Did you read the stickies at the top of this forum.. They'll tell you exactly how to prep them.. You don't need to primer them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If i were you I would prime them first. If not you will end up seeing any inperfections in the side skirt. And if you do sand them, down all you will need to use is 600 grit on a dry sand, prime them and then use 600 on a wet sand.
Dry them off and lay your primer.
BUt thats just me.
Cheers ;)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
civic3m said:
If i were you I would prime them first. If not you will end up seeing any inperfections in the side skirt. And if you do sand them, down all you will need to use is 600 grit on a dry sand, prime them and then use 600 on a wet sand.
Dry them off and lay your primer.
BUt thats just me.
Cheers ;)
Dude they're plastic they don't need to be primed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts